Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Need MAJOR sleep help with 2.5 yo!

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 9:44 pm
For the past couple of months, 2.5 yo ds has been having major sleeping problems. (Btw, before now, he slept very well, about 11 hours with a nap during the day)

#1 He wakes up at around 3Am and comes into my bed and mostly, I'm asleep when he comes in, so I don't realize he's there for a couple of hours. By then, it's morning. Sometimes, I do realize he's there but I'm so tired I don't have the state of mind to put him back into bed. That's rare though, usually I just don't realize he's there.

#2 This is the most recent issue - for the past week or two, he's not going to sleep. He comes out of the crib 6, 7, 8 times. We hug, kiss, rub his back, give him water, a book, his pacifier, doll, as time goes on, we take away the pacifiers, close the door (which he HATES) etc.

I need help. It's becoming a real problem. As time goes by, it just gets worse.

FYI, He started camp about 2 weeks ago, gets home around 1:15 and then goes in for a nap which is perhaps the problem when going to sleep. He used to nap around 10:30. But he's so tired when he gets home from camp that he begs for bed. So he sleeps between 1 and 2 1/2 hours. What should I do?

Help please! Every night is a disaster!

precious

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 9:57 pm
the beginning sounds exactly like my son six months ago -except that it began shortly after we moved to a new apt. so I blamed it on that. when putting him to bed, I would promise him a treat in the morning if he stayed in his bed the whole night, and b"h it really helped. By now he doesn't come to me in the middle of the night anymore.
As far as the napping issue, I let him stay up later on nights that he had napped because there was no way he was ready to fall asleep at 7:30. But if possible, I tried not to let him nap cuz I'd rather him be a little kvetchy, but go to bed on time. By now, he doesn't nap anymore (unless he falls asleep in the car).
It's hard now, but don't worry - he'll grow out of it even if you don't find any miraculous solutions!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 9:59 pm
I have been having major sleeping problems with my DD same age. She dropped her nap and refused to stay in her crib, staying up, and coming out over and over again untill about 10 or 11 pm every night.Then waking up btw 6;45 and 7 every morning and remember that was with NO NAP! anyways we tried everything! We tried being nice and being mean.... But what ultimatly worekd was switching her into a "big girl" bed!! we made a big deal about it and told her that if she doesnt stay in her new big girl bed like a mitzvah girl blah blah we will put her back into her crib. It didnt completely end the problems but thing are much better now,Bli Ayin Hara, B"H.
Good luck!

sarahmalka

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 10:25 pm
Can you get him home from camp an hour and a half earlier and put him down for a nap then? Maybe that earlier nap would stop the Issue #2. Or is it possible he could nap at camp earlier in the day?

At the very least you could let him nap after camp for only 45-60 minutes.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 10:27 pm
No, they don't nap and camp and I'm not taking him out of camp an hour and a half early. He loves it and would miss so much!

As for letting him nap for a short time, this is something to try.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 10:56 pm
You can always get a tent for the crib so he wont climb out?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 11:07 pm
Are you putting him to bed later now that his nap is later? I imagine he might not want to stay in bed if his body isn't ready to sleep yet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers