Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Lighting candles Fri Nt when going away

amother

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 4:22 am
Dh and I are eating by someone Fri nt that lives a half hour walk from us. I would like to take a car service there before Shabbos so we only have to walk one way. The problem is lighting candles, am I able to light by the people we are eating by or do I need to light at home and then walk since I'm sleeping home. TIA

Bella:D

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 5:59 am
I learned you can either light where you eat or where you sleep.

Ask your rabbi I guess.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 8:17 am
You light either where you eat or where you sleep. If at all possible I would light at my hostess's house. Leaving candles burning unattended is never a great idea. If you **must** light and leave, at least use tea lights or votives rather than standard candles, and place them in low, heavy holders (on a fireproof surface and well away from drafts and any combustibles) rather than in tall candlesticks so that there's no chance of their falling over.

You are allowed to light early, assuming your candles are big enough to burn the required minimum past licht benchen time, after making a tnai that you're accepting Shabbos only at the normal licht benchen time or when you reach your hostess's house. You would then be allowed to take the car service there. Check with YLOR to verify that your community allows this. I say this only for informational purposes; it is far preferable from a safety standpoint to light at your hostess's house. Also from an halachic standpoint, since you're supposed to benefit from the candlelight. Unless the candles will still be burning when you get back home, you're not going to benefit from them if you light and leave.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions