Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Washing clothing after one use

amother

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 11:19 am
I am forever busy with laundry and today it got to me that I throw my kids pajamas in the hamper every day and everything I wear too. Also I always have a lot of towels to wash because after one day it dosnt smell so good anymore and I throw it in the hamper. Is there any way not to have to always have so much laundry? Is it normal that I want newly washed clothing for everyone all the time? The irony is that stains don't bother me as much if I put on something that day and my baby touched me with her dirty hands I won't care..
anonymous because I'm embarrassed that I might seem to be weird in that I feel a need to change every day.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 11:27 am
Growing up, when we wore something, if it didn't stink or wasn't stained, it was considered clean. Only socks and underwear went straight into the laundry. Clothes got hung back up for another wearing, PJs went under our pillows to be worn another night or two, and towels got hung up and used over and over for the better part of a week.
Now everything goes straight to laundry. DH thinks it's gross to not put on fresh clothes, so I accommodate him. I think it's a little silly but we do have a housekeeper so it's not like he's giving me extra work to do so I won't fight him on this.

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 11:33 am
Clothes get worn once. An outer layer might get worn twice. Sheets, towels, and pyjamas get changed once a week (unless someone has an accident, in which case clearly they get fresh sheets & PJs!).

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 7:08 pm
pjs don't really need to be changed daily unless they got dirty. you can change when you shower or when you give the kids a bath.

you might be able to recycle some skirts/pants/bottoms too.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 7:45 pm
I think everyone is normal, but I'm nuts!

I wash everything daily, except towels, my sweaters or shirts that I wear over a shell.

Kids and my pajamas go in the chute every morning. Yes, I do a ton of laundry but I hate the smell of worn clothing. And my kids get very sweaty during recess!

This laundry hamper has really helped me, as I can quickly fold shirts, pants, etc in each section, right out of the dryer, and throw pajamas and underwear unfolded into another section.

ElTam

Post Tue, Dec 06 2011, 8:13 pm
If you hang towels where they dry quickly, there is no reason why they can't be used for several uses. If they smell, it is probably because they aren't hung up on a rack that allows air to circulate around them.

Underwear and socks get washed every wearing of course. Other clothes get examined for stains or smell. A jean skirt can easily be worn more than once, as can many shirts when an undershirt is worn with it. More stuff gets washed after one wash in the summer, because of sweating and smells.

For me, it's a matter of
1. time
2. cost. the more often you wash clothes, the higher your water and detergent bills. And, the clothes wear out faster the more they are washed and dried.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry