Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Forgetting to take challa

Esther01

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 10:53 pm
this happened to me the past shabbos. I made challos, less than 5 lbs. so I had to take challa with out a bracha. but I forgot Sad

at the meal we started eating and all of a sudden I remembered!!!

what would you do in such a situation?
and what would you do if the amount of challa you made did need a bracha and you forgot to take challa? (if there is a differance)

Crayon210

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 10:55 pm
That's a big question--because the challah is not allowed to be eaten if challah hasn't been taken!

malkie

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 11:02 pm
Esther01 wrote:
this happened to me the past shabbos. I made challos, less than 5 lbs. so I had to take challa with out a bracha. but I forgot Sad

at the meal we started eating and all of a sudden I remembered!!!

what would you do in such a situation?
and what would you do if the amount of challa you made did need a bracha and you forgot to take challa? (if there is a differance)

I actually just learned this in a shiur this week. If it is Shabbos and you realize you forgot to take challah, you cut off one slice from each of the challahs and put it aside til after Shabbos. Motzei Shabbos you take a piece from each slice that you put aside and clump it together (make the brocha if applicable) and burn it. ***This only applies outside of Eretz Yisroel. In EY you may not use the challah.***

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 11:10 pm
In Spice and spirit, which has the laws of taking challah, (as reviewed by Rabbi Marlow a"h, one of the Rabbonim of the CH Beis Din) it says that you take challah with a brocho from 3lb.11 oz. and up. Less than that would be without a brocha, from about 9 cups and up. (from 7-9 cups is a grey area, so it advises to use recipes with either less or more than that)

shoy18

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 11:12 pm
How many cups of flour is the minimum for taking challah?

Esther01

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 11:20 pm
according to the 'Chazon Ish' the amount to make a bracha is 5lbs. but I do think that according to others (not sure who) it's 3 and something lbs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads