Home

How to "unfreeze" a frozen car door lock in the mo

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Post Posted: Sat, Jan 14 2012, 11:51 pm       Post subject: How to "unfreeze" a frozen car door lock in the mo
Looks like winter is here to stay. I need some tried and true tips on how to get a frozen car door lock to open in the morning when I'm rushing to do carpool or get to work. I don't want to try anything that will break the lock, I.e., if I use hot water to warm the frozen lock, I'm afraid it will rust the car door or lock...any other ideas?

shoemaker

Post Posted: Sun, Jan 15 2012, 12:17 am       Post subject: re: How to "unfreeze" a frozen car door lock in th
wd 40 really works.

amother

Post Posted: Sun, Jan 15 2012, 12:29 am       Post subject: re: How to "unfreeze" a frozen car door lock in th
OP here. If I use WD40 once, will it help for weeks at a time, or is this something I must use daily? And is daily too often?

miami85

Post Posted: Sun, Jan 15 2012, 12:30 am       Post subject: re: How to "unfreeze" a frozen car door lock in th
When I was a kid (10-15), my father, who knew a thing or two about cars, would tell me to boil a kettle of water so he could pour the hot water on the door frame & the lock so he could drive me to school. Never had a rust problem. Another idea is to keep a can of de-icer spray in the house and use it to spray the lock etc.

Dolly Welsh

Post Posted: Sun, Jan 15 2012, 2:45 am       Post subject: re: How to "unfreeze" a frozen car door lock in th

Mommy F.

Post Posted: Sun, Jan 15 2012, 8:48 am       Post subject: re: How to "unfreeze" a frozen car door lock in th
I find getting a car starter to be really helpful.
We basically have a button on our car keys that
when we push it the car will start to warm up,
then after about 10 minutes or so,
all the doors can open, often the snow on the windows have melted too,
and you can do it from the convenience of your home,
so you don't have to get into a cold car.

Liba

Post Posted: Sun, Jan 15 2012, 9:11 am       Post subject: re: How to "unfreeze" a frozen car door lock in th
A hairdryer works if you have a long cord or are close to an outlet. WD40 should last a while (weeks or months) if it is a stiff lock, but it won't do much IME if it is actually full of ice.

EmesOrNT

Post Posted: Sun, Jan 15 2012, 11:15 am       Post subject: re: How to "unfreeze" a frozen car door lock in th
Get a remote start. Not only will it solve your lock problem, but it'll be better for your car engine. Start the car about 10 minutes before you go out, from inside your house while you drink your coffee. That way, the engine will be warmed up when you start driving. Driving with a cold engine is bad for your car, so unless it's a lease, it's worth it to pay for a remote start.

I don't know where you live, but my husband sells and installs remote starts for good prices. YOU can get a really good one for under $100 or get one in your smartphone if you have it. He's on fort hamilton and 64th.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Page 1 of 1