Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Can't find pesach cookies recipe

maze

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 5:05 pm
Last year, there was a recipe on this site for pesach cookies that had potato starch, ground nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, and chopped nuts, sugar, probably eggs and oil.
I searched and looked through most of the pesach recipes section but couldn't find it.
Does anyone know under what it's posted?

mushi

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 8:58 pm
B"H

I don't know the recipe that you are referring to but you may like some of these.

FAVORITE WHITE COOKIES
Makes about 30

2 egg whites (do not get a speck of yolk in them)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (or almond) extract
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Heat oven to 350. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil.
In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt till the egg whites start to foam. Add sugar and vanilla (or almond) extract and continue beating till the meringue is shiny white and stiff peaks form. Gently fold in chocolate chips and pecans.
Drop by spoonsful onto the cookie sheets about an inch apart. (They don't spread much.) Put both cookie sheets into the oven, and TURN THE OVEN OFF. Cookies will be ready in about 3 hours. (It's OK to leave them overnight.)

Chocolate Hazelnut Macaroons - Pesach
1 cup hazelnuts or other nuts
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa, unsweetened
1 oz chocolate chips
pinch salt
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla

Line 2 cookie sheets with foil. If using hazelnuts, toasted at 350 for about 15 minutes until you can rub off the skins.
In food processor, pulse the nuts with the sugar, cocoa, chocolate and salt. Add your egg whites and vanilla and process until well blended.
Drop by teaspoons onto your cookie sheets and bake for about 10 minutes or until the tops look dry. Let cool and store. Freezes well.

Flourless Butterless Italian Hazelnut (40-45 cookies)

1 cup hazelnuts, lightly toasted and skinned
½ cup sugar
2 large egg whites
a pinch of salt
½ tsp vanilla extract

Preheat to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with Silpat.
Pulse nuts and sugar in a food processor until finely ground. Scrape into a large bowl.
Beat egg whites and salt in another large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
Using a silicone spatula, fold the egg whites into the nut mixture. Add vanilla and gently but thoroughly mix until combined.
Pipe the batter on the Silpat, making sure to keep a uniform size under 1 inch in diameter, as well as maintaining a finger’s distance between cookies.
Tap the baking sheet a few times on the counter, this will help spread the cookie and give a flat cookie with a good snap.
Sprinkle the cookie batter with the sliced hazelnuts.
Place the baking sheet in the center of the oven and bake until golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Switch the pans back to front. Keep an eye on it; it goes from golden brown to brown very quickly, given the tiny size.
Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Gently transfer the butterless cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container for upto a week.

Free Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 20 large cookies

1/2 cup walnut halves
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2/3 cup unsweetened coconut
2 1/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons potato starch
1/4 cup plus 1 heaping tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
large pinch salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
3 large egg whites, at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake them for two minutes. Add the almonds to the tray and bake for 3-4 minutes more until the nuts are fragrant and just barely golden. Transfer to a bowl to cool. When cool enough to handle, break the walnut halves unevenly into smaller pieces. Spread the coconut on the baking sheet and toast it for 3-4 minutes until slightly golden. Add it to the bowl of nuts.
Combine the sugar and starch in a blender. Process on high speed for several minutes until the mixture is quite flaky and no longer very gritty.
Transfer the sugar to a large bowl. Whisk in the cocoa powder and the salt, then add the walnut-almond-coconut mixture and the chocolate chips if using and stir to combine. Add the egg whites and stir just enough to moisten all the dry ingredients.
Spoon about two tablespoons of batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet in a circle, leaving several inches between cookies as these spread a lot.
Bake for 12-14 minutes, turning the baking sheet once. The cookies will spread and puff up and become slightly crusty and crackled. Cool on a baking sheet.

Pesach Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cup/s Sugar
2 Eggs
1 cup/s Oil
2 package/s Vanilla Sugar About 2 Tablespoons
3 1/4 cup/s Very Finely Ground Almonds
1 cup/s Potato Starch
1 1/4 cup/s Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350. Cream together the sugar, eggs, and oil. Add the vanilla sugar, almonds, potato starch, and chocolate chips, and mix well. Freeze the batter for 10 minutes to make it easier to form the cookies.
Make small balls out of the batter using your hands or a mini ice- cream scooper. Place the balls on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Do not flatten the cookies at all. They spread a lot in the baking process. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes until they are lightly brown and crinkled. Let them cool for a few minutes on the paper, and then remove them.

maze

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:55 pm
Thanks for typing these up, mushi. these look good!

If anyone else happens to know where I can find the original recipe? It was really good. I think it may have been called unbelievable pesach/passover cookies or I can't believe it's pesach cookies- but I'm not certain.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 4:55 pm
are you sure they had potato starch in them?
I would think you are looking for these cookies. they are really good (just don't use walnuts or they will be bitter)
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....okies

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I would think you are looking for these cookies. they are really good (just don't use walnuts or they will be bitter)

Those also came to mind from OP's description, but I too hesitated to suggest them because they don't contain potato starch. That said, I made them last year and we didn't care for them at all. I make all kinds of different macaroon types of cookies (some with nuts, some with coconut, etc.) and we really prefer them.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:28 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Those also came to mind from OP's description, but I too hesitated to suggest them because they don't contain potato starch. That said, I made them last year and we didn't care for them at all. I make all kinds of different macaroon types of cookies (some with nuts, some with coconut, etc.) and we really prefer them.
I make them with ground almonds only, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract. No other ingredients or variations. We love them straight out of the freezer.

maze

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 8:33 pm
I don't think it was this recipe but thanks for posting.
Im almost certain it had potato starch- but also chocolate chips, coconut, ground and chopped nuts.
It may have had brown sugar too.
It also had more ingredients- maybe 8 -10

maze

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 8:44 pm
After searching for a while I think I found them!
I googled and came up with this:
http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2......html
then, I wanted to check if this site had it-because I remember taking it from here, and they were here- RA- you posted them last year!
So here it is for anyone who wants- they're really good

#4: re: ISO cookie recipes w/o cake/matzah meal -potato starch O Author: ra_mom, Location: NY Posted: Tue, Mar 29 2011, 11:57 am

You Won't Believe They're Pesach Cookies
(from last year's Bina)
• 3-1/4 cups very finely ground blanched almonds
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup oil
• 1/4 cup margarine at room temp OR 1/3 cup mashed banana; if using banana, use 3/4 cup less sugar
• 1/2 cup potato starch
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
• 1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400.
Spread ground almonds on cookie sheet and toast for 2 minutes. Mix, and toast for another 2 minutes. Let cool.
Lower oven to 350.
In an electric mixer fitted with a beater, beat sugars, yolks, banana, and oil until creamy.
Add the cooled almonds and the potato starch and mix again.
Add the chopped pecans, coconut flakes, and chocolate chips and mix until combined.
Roll into 24 walnut sized balls and place onto a lined cookie sheet with 2 inches space between them.
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Cookies will be soft, but they harden slightly when they cool.

I used unsweetened coconut, margarine, and less sugar

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 5:49 pm
Lol, I didn't realize that was the recipe Smile
I don't think I ever got around to trying them, but you've convinced me to give it a go this year Smile

maze

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 12:04 am
Smile thanks for posting them last year-they were good!
I misplaced the sheet from last year, but I think I used a lot less sugar.
If I find the paper floating with the pesach things, I'll update on how much

mushi

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 12:31 pm
B"H
These sound really decedent!
? Do you use whole eggs or just yolks?
The recipe says 2 eggs but in the directions it says yolks???

Thanks in advance...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 2:05 pm
mushi wrote:
B"H
These sound really decedent!
? Do you use whole eggs or just yolks?
The recipe says 2 eggs but in the directions it says yolks???

Thanks in advance...
I will try to look for the original recipe and let you know.
The list of ingredients probably should say 2 egg yolks

mushi

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 4:52 pm
B"H

Thank you so much....

I just looked up the recipe on Sweet and Savory, so unless I hear otherwise, it will be 2 whole eggs Smile

You Won't Believe They're Pesach Cookies
http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2......html

Ingredients:

• 2-1/4 cups very finely ground blanched almonds
1 1/4 cups ground walnuts
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup oil
• 1/4 cup margarine at room temperature
• 1/2 cup potato starch
• 1 cup chopped walnuts (My youngest wants to leave these out.)
• 3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
• 1 bag chocolate chips

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees..
In an electric mixer fitted with a beater, beat sugars, eggs, margarine and oil until creamy.
Add the cooled almonds and the potato starch and mix again.
Add the chopped walnuts, coconut flakes, and chocolate chips and mix until combined.
Roll into 24 walnut sized balls and place onto a lined cookie sheet with 2 inches space between them.
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Cookies will be soft, but they harden slightly when they cool.
Smile

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 5:00 pm
I looked up the original recipe and the Binah article says it exactly as I typed it LOL
Use the whole eggs- will be fine.

maze

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 4:35 pm
I found my copy from last year. I used only 1/4 cup white sugar, I thought I used margarine last year, but I didn't-- I put in banana, and used chopped walnuts instead of pecans, and unsweetend finely grated coconut. and I used 2 whole eggs not just the yolks. For other ingredients, I followed the recipe. I just made them and they're great. If you like bananas, the taste comes through sligtly and it's really good.
They say it makes 24. I had about 39-40 cookies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics