Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When are you planning to turn over your kitchen this year?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:03 am
Done tonight! Hurray, and good night, all!

marina

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:05 am
ok, whatever, I'm currently baking cheesecakes for shavous.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:06 am
mynameismom wrote:
well im in my third trimester and I dont want to have to spend the whole yom tov slaving in the kitchen. Nobpdy in my house is misrable. The kids are happily helping out and we are almost there. for me slow and steady will make Pesach doable for me. Im setting up a mini chometz kitchen in the garage so the kids can make simple chometzdik stuff that they can eat on the porch. But the last week must be dedicated only to cooking so it can all get done at a reasonable pace.

I am too, but my kids are little (almost 5 and almost 3) and they are such picky eaters as it is, I cant make them live on pesachdik food any longer than I have to. also, I guess being that im not home for the sedarim, its a little easier for me. ive pretty much done everything else that needs to be done, and the kitchen is the last thing. ive been cleaning one room a week since the first week in february, and now I just have the kitchen. tomorrow, my cleaning lady will help me finish emptying out what needs to go, and then she will wipe down and line everything. hopefully I will be able to have my kitchen completely turned over by monday the latest.
also, I dont cook on yom tov if I can avoid it, so I am going to do the little cooking that I have to do on wednesday night (after the kids are in bed) or thursday (erev yom tov the second days) the only thing I will purposely leave for on yom tov is soup and cholent. most of what im making can be done on the same temp, so first I will do the parve stuff (sides) and then I will do meat and chicken and stuff. hope it works Smile

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:06 am
I would love to have my kitchen turned over by Sunday! (Or at least have all the chometz out by then so the kids won't be spreading it all over the house.)

catonmylap

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:20 am
by Thursday night (maybe earlier Thursday)

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 3:29 am
I hope by next thursday. Wink

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 3:39 am
I want to finish cleaning on monday so tue night to kasher.

ora_43

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 3:44 am
Tuesday night. Then we'll eat kitniyot-based meals until Pesach, and maybe get something like pizza or falafel for one meal (to be eaten NOT HERE).

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 3:57 am
marina wrote:
aaaaah what is wrong with you people who already kashered? Pesach is long enough, why make it two weeks?

Unless you have some exigent circumstances- five barmitzvahs to plan and a scheduled c-section erev pesach.

My mother has been cooking since last Thursday. Very Happy Extenuating circumstances: She works in another city Monday-Wednesday night and she is in her late 70s, so doesn't have koach for the mad rush. Also, no one else is home to complain.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 4:57 am
I think sunday. I will set up a chametz area in another room so we can make pasta and so on.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 5:13 am
Our cleaning help is coming tomorrw and Sunday so I guess monday. At first I was admired butnow it seems I am going to have to cook for seder, so I guess everything will work out for the best.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 6:42 am
I have mishpachton in my house through Monday (which includes cooking / serving chamatz to the kids I'm watching). My plan now is to do the major kitchen jobs Monday night & Tuesday, finish with hot chamatz by Tuesday night, and kasher on Thursday morning. We are going to my IL for the beginning of Pesach, so I don't need to worry about cooking, just getting everything cleaned and kashered.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 6:43 am
I have mishpachton in my house through Monday (which includes cooking / serving chamatz to the kids I'm watching). My plan now is to do the major kitchen jobs Monday night & Tuesday, finish with hot chamatz by Tuesday night, and kasher on Thursday morning. We are going to my IL for the beginning of Pesach, so I don't need to worry about cooking, just getting everything cleaned and kashered.

hila

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 6:57 am
I am working every day - Sunday - thursday so I want to comehome wednesday and cook. So I want to not use my kitchen Shabbat (there are only 2 of us) and be ready to kasher sunday evening when I come home. I can then cover the counters etc and get stuff out on monday. Tuesday - shopping for veg and fruit, then wednesday to cook (we are 11 for the first few days, plus who knows how many for chol hamoed) .

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 7:42 am
shalhevet wrote:

So now I'm kind of wondering whether to go full steam ahead and kasher maybe even Sunday or Monday (I have plenty of other places here left to clean). I just like the thought of a few days of relaxed cooking and baking, instead of being rushed (though I always end up rushed in the end Confused ). But then - what will we eat for nearly a week?

You live in the land of pitot and mirpasot. Pita with tuna one day, pita with Israeli salad and techina the next day. Pita with chavita or shakshouka. If you have a toaster oven or microwave you can precook pasta or pizza and warm it up, or serve pita with soy schnitzel or soy hot dogs.

curlyhead

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:13 am
Friday cleaning help coming for 3 hours she will do the stove and whatever else she has time for.
Sun- Tues clean kitchen. Sunday I do not know how much I will get done with kids home and husband working
Tuesday evening kasher
Wednesday cover & shop for fruit and vegies
Thursday - cook.
Friday salads and seder items and finish off laundry

There are still a bunch of odds and ends around the house which need to be done before the kitchen is covered.

I do not know how people clean the kitchen in one day or is it already precleaned and just needs a wipe over.

cm

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:47 am
Nearly every year I do it the Sat night/Sunday before Pesach, no matter when the seders fall out. That's when I have time. The few years that I was not working I had more flexibility, but kashering after Shabbat is so convenient, when most of the things that need to sit for 24 hours before changing over have not been in use. I wash up after Shabbat and do the sink/dishwasher (yes, it's permitted in our community) on Sunday night as the last step.

suzyq

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:56 am
My cleaning lady is coming Tuesday and my mom and grandmother are also, so I plan on kashering the kitchen probably Tuesday night and cooking Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (though my guess is that this schedule might end up being adjusted by a day or so). We aren't having so many guests for the first days though, so I don't feel like I have to do a TON of cooking in advance...and I'm concerned about what to feed my mom and grandma while they are here (they are, ironically, leaving before Pesach begins, but it will be a huge help for them to watch the baby while I prepare).

saralem

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:50 pm
First of all, Marina--you are so funny. I actually laughed out loud--thanks for that!
I always do the kitchen in one day, usually 3 or 4 days before erev pesach. We're going to dd's home--she's expecting iy"h pesach-time, and so I will be finishing her kitchen on Tuesday--morning, I hope! I'm sending my 18 year old dd to help a few days earlier--so maybe they'll finsih on Monday! wouldn't that be great?? I like 3 days to cook.

willow

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:59 pm
I don't understand how some of you do it a full week before you have to. a day or two before I understand.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics