Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Bedtime issues

curiousgeorge1

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 10:47 pm
my 16 month old was never great with going to sleep, but since being thrown off schedule for all of pesach it is terrible! Basically, I put him to bed after the normal bedtime routine (read some books, a drink, sing bedtime songs) and he just shrieks in his crib for as long as I leave him there. Sometimes the screaming tires him out and eventually he falls asleep, but other times he really fights sleeping and just doesn't fall asleep. ive tried going back in and soothing him by rubbing his back and/or singing but he will still scream and try to get me to take him out. sometimes I'll take him out but then he will still scream and try to get out of my arms to leave the room (or bang on the door). He just wants to go and play! I've also tried giving him toys in his crib but he doesn't go for that either. I don't know what to do anymore - I can't let him scream for an hour...

I should also mention that I don't think this is completely because of pesach. The last 2 week he has gotten a lot more expressive about what he wants and he has learned to be very demanding. he does not talk yet but he definitely knows how to get across what he wants and he throws a fit when he does not get it. so I think this is at least partly a case of temper tantrums, which is totally new to me.

Any ideas, advice, methods, good books to read, etc. would be really helpful!

ddsw

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 10:58 pm
what's his napping schedule like? if u try to give him a nap earlier or cut it short it might make him more tired at bedtime. transitioning from yom tov is hard. it takes time to get back into routine. good luck!

Sherri

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 11:00 pm
Can you transition slowly from the YT schedule back to his regular schedule? It's like weaning... 15 minutes earlier each night.

curiousgeorge1

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 11:03 pm
so he takes a morning nap which he definitely needs, and sometimes an afternoon nap for only about 45 minutes. When I skip the afternoon nap, I don't find that bedtimes is any easier. he is definitely tired at bedtime he'll be rubbing his eyes and putting his head time for 15 seconds every few minutes, but once he realizes that I'mm putting him to bed he fights sleep.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 10:10 am
I like Sherri's suggestion.

Also, if he's already rubbing his eyes and putting his head down, is it possible that he's overtired? I know it's counterintuitive, but have you ever tried putting him to sleep earlier, or pushing his second nap a bit later so that he won't be exhausted at bedtime? Just a thought.

curiousgeorge1

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 11:05 pm
Thanks forr your ideas! I've been working on getting him to sleep earlier but what I'm really looking for is a method. I feel that I've been very inconsistent trying something new every night. and no matter what time it is he screams a lot and I'm never sure when to let him scream and for how long, when to take him out, how long to stay in his room for, etc. I don't want to traumatize him if he's really scared but I don't want him to manipulate me either... I feel that he is not learning to fall asleep on his own because I am so unsure what to do so I just go with my gut. Does anyone know a good book or something?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics