Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How can I lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 5:43 am
Is that at all possible????

I don't want to take anything for dieting, no pills or homeopathic stuff. Just wondering if I could do it? I am middle aged and it is so hard to lose weight. I walk fast about 45 minutes every day. Can I really lose that weight? I am going to a close relatives simcha in 6 weeks and would like to lose 10 pounds by then.

anonymrs

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 6:06 am
Every person's body is different but if you go off wheat and sugar, you will most likely lose some weight. Also cardio workouts are good but in order to get the full benefit you need to do interval training which is intense cardio for a few minutes and then slow it down for 2 minutes and keep repeating. Strength training will also help you shape up. Good luck!

ianaii

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 6:07 am
I reccomend the Atkins diet - no carbs.

I lost 10 pounds in about 2 weeks, and know a lot of other people who lost quickly too.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 6:18 am
Try the South Beach diet. You're supposed to lose 5-10 pounds in the first two weeks and 1-2 pounds a week thereafter. I will tell you that I lost 5 pounds the first two weeks, and I was receiving steroids at the time that had been making me gain weight, so I probably would have lost even more. You don't feel deprived on the diet after the first couple of days, either. You can eat plenty of the right stuff.

There4you

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 6:33 am
Atkins diet is a fast weight loss jumpstart. Maybe a juice dirt will work for you. After 3 days you won't be hungry, and actualy enjoy it!

5*Mom

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 6:44 am
Whatever happened to the old fashioned way of taking in fewer calories than you burn? Try eating lots of veggies, naturally low-cal and naturally low-fat foods, drink lots of water and keep walking. 10 pounds in 6 weeks is totally doable without any crazy crash diets.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 7:44 am
I've been losing about 2 lbs a week by exercising one hour a day (fast walking on a treadmill). I eat some fruit for breakfast (apple, or apple and orange) then for lunch a peice of salmon, 2 eggs, or some tuna with some salad and cooked vegetables. Similar thing for supper except it is usually meat or chicken.

I have some chocolate or sweets each day as a treat, but if you can go sugar free it is probably better. I also snack on dried or fresh fruit.

Write down what you eat each day - I have an iphone app for this.

My downfall is shabbos but I am working on this. Still, even not being very good on shabbos I am losing weight. Shavuos will be a lot harder. I entertain a lot so it is hard not making yummy food.

SS6099

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 9:14 am
For a quick fix, like mentioned, Atkins or South Beach (being that the first 2 weeks resemble Atkins).
This will give you a jump start, but you'll be losing water and muscle too.
Beware though that after the simcha, when you eat normally again, the weight may come back.
Of course, for long term success, weight watchers or simply eating between 1200-1400 calories daily and exercising to include both cardio and weight lifting, is the best way to go.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:03 am
The cabbage soup diet can really work. You only have to do it two weeks and can lose a few pounds from it. When doing your walk, try jogging every few blocks for a block or two, it makes a difference.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:14 am
Did anyone ever try to loose when pregnant? I know everyone says that it's not the time - etc. just be healthy .... but I have been overeating and I am due in around 9 weeks. I want to loose some of the overeating fat before I give birth to I will have an easier time loosing the rest after. My self control is very bad - is anything safe to try when pregnant and fat from food (not baby)? Sorry OP for jumping in on your thread. BTW - I am in my 40's so loosing weight will be a little harder than before I'm sure.

sarahd

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:18 am
Stop overeating and eat mostly whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
Did anyone ever try to loose when pregnant? I know everyone says that it's not the time - etc. just be healthy .... but I have been overeating and I am due in around 9 weeks. I want to loose some of the overeating fat before I give birth to I will have an easier time loosing the rest after. My self control is very bad - is anything safe to try when pregnant and fat from food (not baby)? Sorry OP for jumping in on your thread. BTW - I am in my 40's so loosing weight will be a little harder than before I'm sure.

Stop eating sugar, white grains, and white potatoes. There is no risk to you or your baby (its actually healthier) and it can really help you lose.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:19 am
Posted 6 hours ago and already 160 views. OP- you're clearly not the only one who wants to lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks!! Wink

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:20 am
amother wrote:

If you wait 9 weeks, you could probably lose 10 lbs. easily Wink

eschaya

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:40 am
A pound is 3500 calories, so you want to have a net calorie intake per week of around 7000 calories (will give you a 12 lb loss) less than you are ending up with now. You can either take in 7000 calories less per week, exercise like crazy to burn 7000 calories per week, or most likely, do a combination of both. If you eat 500 less calories a day you will be down 3500 calories per week, so then you just need to exercise off 500 calories per day. If you have lots of time and motivation you can totally do it.
Good luck...

MrsDash

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 12:32 pm
10 pounds in 6 weeks is possible, but it depends on a few factors. How much excess weight do need to lose? The more you need to lose, the faster it will come off. How many calories do you consume? You say you do cardio 45 minutes every day. Is your heart rate elevated to the point where you are out of breath, and sweating by the end of your walk?

Are you doing any strength training? Women tend to be nervous about building muscle, because they think it'll make them weigh more, and look too bulked up. More muscle = faster metabolism = faster weight loss. It's highly unlikely for the average women to bulk up doing basic strength training. As for gaining weight, again, it depends on how much excess fat you have to lose.

Atkins or South Beach are great, because they are lifestyle diets, not "fads." There are phases in both diets. The first is induction, and that's where you lose a lot of weight. The last phase is a "diet" plan you follow for life to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Don't eat a few hours before bedtime. Drink a LOT of fluids, and stay away from any calorie-filled drinks, sugary drinks, and diet drinks. Focus more on water, and if you need the carbonation, have seltzer. Do both cardio, and strength training most days of the week. Stay away from temptation. Don't bring it in the house.

It is possible, but it depends on how committed you are.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 1:29 pm
This might help you.
http://articles.mercola.com/si......aspx

SS6099

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
This might help you.
http://articles.mercola.com/si......aspx

Excellent article.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:

I lost 10 pounds in my 7-8th month and then didn't gain any more for rest of pregnancy. I started the pregnancy at 207 pounds and day I came home from the hospital I was 192. But then from nursing etc and being tired and eating cake and cookies...I gained it all back and went to 205 within few months. Working on getting down now.
Any specific directions for atkins/south beach.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I lost 10 pounds in my 7-8th month and then didn't gain any more for rest of pregnancy. I started the pregnancy at 207 pounds and day I came home from the hospital I was 192. But then from nursing etc and being tired and eating cake and cookies...I gained it all back and went to 205 within few months. Working on getting down now.
Any specific directions for atkins/south beach.

I did it by weighing my food and following a food plan.
No sugar/sweetner etc. this got rid of craving.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise