Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
So now that crib tents are recalled ....

Annie

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 11:11 pm
what do we do with the toddler who is crawling out of her bed. She is very quiet, and we can't have her roaming the house alone. Suggestions?

skinny

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 11:17 pm
ya let her sleep in ur bed lol!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 11:18 pm
Put a bell on top of her door so you're woken up if she leaves her room?

Isher

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 11:33 pm
Find a place that still sells them.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 11:35 pm
a cowbell?

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 11:35 pm
Isher wrote:

They were recalled due to high risk of strangulation. Please, dont use them.

Isher

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 11:38 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Isher wrote:

There are a few types out there. I can't see how a child can strangle themselves with the one that I use. OTOH finding my son on the street at 3 am is definitely dangerous.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 9:34 am
Isher wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
Isher wrote:

There are a few types out there. I can't see how a child can strangle themselves with the one that I use. OTOH finding my son on the street at 3 am is definitely dangerous.

I don't think any of the ones that were on market were obviously a strangulation hazard. They would not have been sold so many years if that was the case. However, there have been many horrible tragedies associated with crib tents, to the point that BH they are no longer being sold. There are simple solutions to keeping a child safe, such as putting a lock high up on the door.

SplitPea

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 9:47 am
but a double gate on their door frame.. that way its too high for them to climb over

m in Israel

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 10:07 am
Put a baby gate that they can't get past on the bedroom door. Then make sure the bedroom itself is childproof.

Annie

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 10:40 am
I think that's what we're going to have to do. The problem is she shares a room with her older sister, so it has to be a gate that the younger one can't climb, but the older one can open....

I don't really believe in door locks. The childproofing in this room is going to take a few days though, any thoughts on what to do until then (short of putting her in my bed so I'll wake up when she does).

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 10:43 am
Annie wrote:
I think that's what we're going to have to do. The problem is she shares a room with her older sister, so it has to be a gate that the younger one can't climb, but the older one can open....

I don't really believe in door locks. The childproofing in this room is going to take a few days though, any thoughts on what to do until then (short of putting her in my bed so I'll wake up when she does).

what's in your toddler's room that needs childproofing? it may take less time than you think.

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:09 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
Annie wrote:

what's in your toddler's room that needs childproofing? it may take less time than you think.

My toddler has moved her toddler bed (mattress and frame together) and climbed up onto the dresser! Where there's a will, there's a way!

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:11 pm
Mommastuff wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
Annie wrote:

My toddler has moved her toddler bed (mattress and frame together) and climbed up onto the dresser! Where there's a will, there's a way!

fun Smile

I'd take away the frame and let her have the mattress until she's old enough to know better.

Annie

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:25 pm
most it's her sister's junk, but there is a window, and height of things doesn't seem to be a deterrent for this particular toddler. The dresser and bookshelf I can attach to the wall, but her sister has tons of books, papers, craft material, jewelry, etc. ALL OVER the room. I guess I'll have to be less easy going about letting older dd have her room be a mess. This is as good an excuse as any. I will have to gate the room, though b/c there is MUCH too much other stuff in the house that this child could get into.

spring13

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:30 pm
what about a doorknob cover? just teach the older one how to work it, and then work out some good storage solutions for her stuff. maybe her art supplies and books can live in another room?

we put doorknob covers on the front and back doors: if you're worried about those, put deadbolts or chains or hook-and-eye locks up out of her reach.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:35 pm
spring13 wrote:
what about a doorknob cover? just teach the older one how to work it, and then work out some good storage solutions for her stuff. maybe her art supplies and books can live in another room?

we put doorknob covers on the front and back doors: if you're worried about those, put deadbolts or chains or hook-and-eye locks up out of her reach.

My ds figured those out one day when he was especially determined. Now we just keep all doors locked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics