Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Early Morning Waking Issues

amother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 1:49 pm
My 5yo dd often wakes up very early (6am). I find it very difficult to get up and stay up at that hour. During this time that she is awake she has gotten into many things (toothpaste all over the bathroom, hand cream everywhere, snacks for school, left over cakes or the like from shabbos, a wrench from the toolbox, my cellphone/pocketbook/money, etc.). I am starting to feel that I need to keep everything under lock and key and stop buying stuff (the kids often don't have snacks, I've simply stopped buying them). And its not just that I'm lazy and don't want to get up. Its that I can't physically supervise her (and her brother, 7yo) every second of every day to ensure they aren't doing a/t crazy. I've tried putting food out for them the night before, stuff that I know they'll take anyways (two bags of 'shabbos cereal' from on top of the fridge which they get to with a chair. but then one of them will eat both bags.) It doesn't really work. I'm not asking a specific question, just very open-endedly asking for ideas/feedback/support. TIA.

myfriends715

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 2:02 pm
we have a very strict rule abt what the kids can and cant do if they wake up early. breakfast isnt til after 7 so if u wake up b4 u can play quietly in ur room, go to the bathroom and go take a couple of books and sit in ur bed and read and mommy will tell u when u can come out.

WastingTime

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 3:46 pm
6 AM! I wish everyone would stay in bed till 6 AM....in the past few yrs it ranges from 5- 5:45 by me usually---
I unfortunately have no answers other than giving a treat to whoever slept/stayed in bed until a given time.
that did somewhat work by me for a period of time
I started setting up breakfast and toys the night before---if I have time to make the toys interesting I.e. I make the playmobil soilders in war formation or something like that
that somewhat helps
but im usually up by 5:30 no matter what!!!!
GOOD LUCK!

sky

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 4:56 pm
I guess all kids are different. At 5 I was able to allow my kids to play unsupervised. Can you explain what is allowed to be touched and what not, or permissible areas to play in that are child proofed.
You can try buying a toddler night light, where it turns on at a specific time and they can get out of bed then. Until then they can play with toys or books that are in a basket next to their bed.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 5:32 pm
Op my sister has a strict rule she puts an alarm clock and she tells them that they have to be very quiet in their bed till the alarm goes off, she says it works wonders!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers