Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Is it Tide or is it the tablecloths?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 8:47 pm
I borrowed some tablecloths and invested in Tide to wash them, hoping for the best. I was convinced some stains wouldn't come out. Well, I've done a few loads and they look beautiful, without any pretreating, etc. I guess it's true - Tide is designed with mothers in mind to get out the dirt kids get into. I just want to be sure before I start using it on a more regular basis instead of the cheap stuff: is it the Tide or might these tablecloths just be of such great quality that, as the woman I got them from said, they can go from the washing machine into the dryer and come out so well? Yes, I'll ask her too but am wondering about people's experiences. TIA.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 9:09 pm
Well, you have the Tide already. Why not save it for the dirtiest laundry ?

Simple1

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 9:13 pm
I need to use stain remover even with the Tide. And even with the stain spray, the stains don't always come out. It depends on what kind of stains, and also if you wash them immediately, it's easier to get clean.

baker1

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 9:16 pm
I have been using tide for a very long time. My sis-in-law just told me that it fades the clothing, and that it is not healthy. They say the scent in nthe tide is shown to be cancer causing....

I think I am going to stop using it....

athomemom

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 9:21 pm
just fyi tide is a rather harsh detergent. in my experience colored laundry got a washed out/faded look

btw, consumer reports rated the target brand detergent as good as tide forr a fraction of the cost....

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 7:57 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Well, you have the Tide already. Why not save it for the dirtiest laundry ?

I got the smallest one. But that's a good point, we'll see if it does do anything.
Thanks all for all the input.

daisy

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 9:51 am
Why not conduct your own scientific experiment? Take 2 of the same garments and stain them the same way. Wash one in Tide and one in your other detergent. Compare the results. Let us know!

As a side note, I find Tide has a really strong smell. I can smell it on people all the time. I prefer the more mild detergents, and I use shout or oxy for the tougher stains.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 1:23 pm
[quote="daisy"]Why not conduct your own scientific experiment? Take 2 of the same garments and stain them the same way. Wash one in Tide and one in your other detergent. Compare the results. Let us know!]

Not happening here but I invite any other members to try!

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 4:46 pm
Most tablecloths are made of polyester, I find that just about anything will come out of that material. Tide is no better then gthe 1.99 stuff on sale in shoprite IME. SOME THINGS JUST WASH BETTER THEN OTHERS. I USED TO USE TIDE ONLY, BUT I TRIED PRETTY MUCH EVERY BRAND AND DO NOT SEE ANY DIFFERENCE BESIDES THE HIGH PRICE. sO NOW I BUY WHATEVER IS FREE OF PERFUMES AND DYES and is cheapest.

Sorry about the caps.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 6:07 pm
what kind of stains were they? if it's grape juice or some such, hot water will do the trick. if it's not-too-hot protein (cholent or some such), cold water is your friend. it could be that you just washed the stain at the right temperature.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 8:07 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Most tablecloths are made of polyester, I find that just about anything will come out of that material. Tide is no better then gthe 1.99 stuff on sale in shoprite IME. SOME THINGS JUST WASH BETTER THEN OTHERS. I USED TO USE TIDE ONLY, BUT I TRIED PRETTY MUCH EVERY BRAND AND DO NOT SEE ANY DIFFERENCE BESIDES THE HIGH PRICE. sO NOW I BUY WHATEVER IS FREE OF PERFUMES AND DYES and is cheapest.

Sorry about the caps.

I also used to use tide but it was so expensive and I now use cheaper ones (like purex) and I don't see the difference...maybe in REALLY bad stains, but then I use a tide/shout spray.
Someone also told me that a few people have found that tide can make holes in the clothes, tiny tiny tiny ones especially in delicate loads.

bamamama

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 12:03 am
chocolate chips wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

Sorry about the caps.

I also used to use tide but it was so expensive and I now use cheaper ones (like purex) and I don't see the difference...maybe in REALLY bad stains, but then I use a tide/shout spray.
Someone also told me that a few people have found that tide can make holes in the clothes, tiny tiny tiny ones especially in delicate loads.

Yeah, it's the polyester. And, FWIW, I make my own laundry soap ($0.10/load) and my polyester Shabbos tablecloths are beautiful every week. My soap is no better or worse than the others, stuff just comes out of polyester more easily.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 8:44 am
bamamama wrote:
[

Yeah, it's the polyester. And, FWIW, I make my own laundry soap ($0.10/load) and my polyester Shabbos tablecloths are beautiful every week. My soap is no better or worse than the others, stuff just comes out of polyester more easily.

Can you tell us how? And why is Tide working on my (not the borrowed) poly cloths when other stuff hasn't?

bamamama

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 12:18 am
PinkFridge wrote:
bamamama wrote:
[

Can you tell us how? And why is Tide working on my (not the borrowed) poly cloths when other stuff hasn't?

I really don't know. Sorry. Maybe a diff kind of poly?

The recipe for the laundry soap is easy and is much cheaper in the US than here in Canada.
1 bar of soap (Fels-Naptha, Ivory, whatever you want to use - I use Sunlight laundry soap)
1.5 c. Borax
1.5 c. Washing Soda

Shred soap and mix with Borax and Washing Soda. If you have an old food processor, process mixture using the blade attachment (just breaks the soap down more so it dissolves more easily in the wash).Store in a lidded container. Use 2 tablespoons per load.

I've heard Borax and Washing Soda are harder to find in the US. A friend who makes says she finds them at Ace Hardware or Meijer - I know those are probably only regionally available sorry I can't be more specific.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 8:32 am
bamamama wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
bamamama wrote:
[

The recipe for the laundry soap is easy and is much cheaper in the US than here in Canada.
1 bar of soap (Fels-Naptha, Ivory, whatever you want to use - I use Sunlight laundry soap)
1.5 c. Borax
1.5 c. Washing Soda

Shred soap and mix with Borax and Washing Soda. If you have an old food processor, process mixture using the blade attachment (just breaks the soap down more so it dissolves more easily in the wash).Store in a lidded container. Use 2 tablespoons per load.

I've heard Borax and Washing Soda are harder to find in the US. A friend who makes says she finds them at Ace Hardware or Meijer - I know those are probably only regionally available sorry I can't be more specific.

Thanks!
Have you ever read the Delaney sisters books? I think they may have had this recipe there. Maybe I'm just thinking of toothpaste. (One was a dentist and used baking soda.)

Is there an issue of using a food processor? I assume these are all non-animal ingredients?

bamamama

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 1:13 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
bamamama wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
bamamama wrote:
[

1.5 c. Borax
1.5 c. Washing Soda

Thanks!
Have you ever read the Delaney sisters books? I think they may have had this recipe there. Maybe I'm just thinking of toothpaste. (One was a dentist and used baking soda.)

Is there an issue of using a food processor? I assume these are all non-animal ingredients?

I have an old food processor that I only use for this - some pure soap is made from animal fat but it prob depends what kind of soap you use. As far as kashrus goes, AYLOR Wink

I don't think I've heard of the Delaney sisters but this recipe is all over the place (with different proportions but the basic recipe is always the same. And I use castille soap for toothpaste so, yeah, same idea.

OldYoung

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 2:19 pm
My poly tablecloths always come out clean when I wash them... but I also always use Tide! LOL

OldYoung

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 2:20 pm
athomemom wrote:
just fyi tide is a rather harsh detergent. in my experience colored laundry got a washed out/faded look

btw, consumer reports rated the target brand detergent as good as tide forr a fraction of the cost....

Wash your clothing inside-out to prevent the color from fading.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 3:22 pm
OldYoung wrote:
My poly tablecloths always come out clean when I wash them... but I also always use Tide! LOL

Well, as I said, Tide was designed with mothers in mind to get out the dirt kids get into. Takeh.
I think I'll keep a stash somewhere, it's useful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry