Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Preparing Nursery...Buying in Advance...for new baby

amother

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 5:38 pm
Is it written anywhere that one should refrain from buying in advance?
How about preparing a nursery?
How about ordering something in advance becasue it takes a while to arrive?

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 7:08 pm
I do not want to buy anything before. I don't know about any halachic sources or anything. Big purchases such as carseats and strollers that take a while to come in I would put a deposit on, and pick up in the store after the baby is born.
I would not to prepare a nursery or anything, because if CHVS g-d forbid I did not come home with a baby from the hospital the last thing I would want to see in my house is all the baby stuff all ready and prepared.

yoyosma

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 11:19 pm
I know that people will buy things if there is a major sale and store it anywhere but their own home.

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 1:08 am
The exceptions that I make to the "no baby things" are:

1. Installing the car seat - because it isn't really intuitive, because people (like grandparents) who think they know what they are doing really have no clue, because it can take an hour of struggling with the base to get it installed properly the first time, and because some hospitals won't allow the baby to go home without seeing a properly installed car seat (unless of course you are able to walk home).

2. Crib or other baby sleeping place - because our crib was missing parts when we first assembled it, and we had to wait while the store ordered replacement parts.

Hospital stays are so short now, it's nice to have something ready.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 1:26 am
The place we're going to be ordering everything said it will take at least 40 days for delivery.

I'm due around Shavuot. I figure if we order just before Pesach, it will give them time to get the order started and this way we won't have the stuff for that long.

Marion

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 2:34 am
We put a deposit on the stroller/travel system and nursing glider.
DH's uncle picked them up and delivered them the morning we were to be released. I installed the infant carrier (no base) in the hospital parking lot while MIL waited inside with the baby. We borrowed a cradle for the first few months so we didn't need a crib right away. And we just changed him on a bed until we could get a changing table.

mumof1

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 4:04 am
dh's friend asked a rabbi, and he said that if you are in tough financial sitch and there is a major sale where if you buy you will save yourself some $$$ you can purchase before baby is born.
however, if you are in a middle or upper class financial sitch you may not buy before, as is the custom.
you can place orders and deposits just not finalize purchases.
I am not familiar where the custom is from.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 4:43 am
mumof1 wrote:
dh's friend asked a rabbi, and he said that if you are in tough financial sitch and there is a major sale where if you buy you will save yourself some $$$ you can purchase before baby is born.
however, if you are in a middle or upper class financial sitch you may not buy before, as is the custom.
you can place orders and deposits just not finalize purchases.
I am not familiar where the custom is from.

It's more about Ayin haRah...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 11:07 am
My parents didn't buy or prepare anything for me. It was HARD to have to run after, poor dad! LOL
We're not preparing either, except what will be needed for the hospital. B'h my parents have kept all my stuff and we probably won't need to buy anything except a few things that didn't age well Very Happy

mumoo

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 11:24 am
my first was 2 months early-we had an emoty room with new carpet. I remember sitting on the floor, nursing him.

dh went with my mother to choose a crib. we probably wouldn't have pre-purchased anyway. ayin hora

mothers-to-be who choose things from my gemach (clothes, carseat, cradle etc) ask me to hold them for their husbands to pick up before they leave the hospital.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions