Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Whites with Body Odour After Washing

EvenI

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 10:13 am
My white wash of mens' undershirts and white shirts came out smelling of body odor after a 60 degree wash with a generous amount of laundry powder. What do you advise to make sure that body odor is eliminated in the wash?

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 10:15 am
doing a baking soda or vinegar soak should do the trick. sometimes the soak is the key

Inspired

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 10:24 am
Did you overfill the machine?

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 10:37 am
I do my whites on 90 degrees (boiling). But a pre- wash soak may do the trick. does your machine have that option?

spring13

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 10:57 am
I'll second the vinegar soak recommendation. The smell won't linger after they've been washed and dried. Also, this might be tough at this time of year, but hanging them to dry in the sun also helps a lot.

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 11:22 am
wash them again using baking soda ... personally I would scrub the armpits with bleach & detergent as well Drunken Smile

[if he is wearing the shirts more than once - they should be burned]

EvenI

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 11:58 am
I was too impatient to wait for replies. I put it back in the machine and added some hydrogen peroxide, as per some internet site. I will see what happens. If that's no good, I'll try some of these tips. Thanks!

Greenfire, I don't think he wears them more than once. I requested that he didn't when I had problems with the shirts in shana rishona, which was a long time ago. Unless he's reverted recently without my noticing. I will put the matter on the agenda.

bananasplit

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 12:15 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
doing a baking soda or vinegar soak should do the trick. sometimes the soak is the key

How do you do the baking soda or vinegar soak? Does it work to get ink stains off in a white load? I just washed a load of dh's undershirts and didnt realize there was a sweatshirt there that had a pen in the pocket so now there is ink all over!

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 12:20 pm
EvenI wrote:

Greenfire, I don't think he wears them more than once. I requested that he didn't when I had problems with the shirts in shana rishona, which was a long time ago. Unless he's reverted recently without my noticing. I will put the matter on the agenda.

to be honest I told sonny boy I would scrub his shirts if he wore new shirts and only once ~ he came home with them just as grungy ... dunno some guys just make their shirts dirtier [I thought he wore them thrice & I wanted to burn them Twisted Evil ]

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 1:43 pm
I never wash white underwear with other white dress shirts. white underwear gets bleached!

ElTam

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 2:14 pm
If it's all white stuff, put a little bleach in.

If it's whites with lights, just sprinkle a few tablespoons of baking soda into the washer right after you put the detergent in. Works great.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 3:01 pm
greenfire wrote:

[if he is wearing the shirts more than once - they should be burned]

What does this mean? If he wears the shirts more than once you can't get the smell out?

I have this problem with DH's shirts and have long suspected this to be the reason.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 3:45 pm
Cold water is very cold in the winter. 60 deg might not really be 60, you might have to use warm or hot water.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 1:23 am
Maybe put a little liquid ammonia in the wash? But, don't mix it with bleach, ever. That releases chlorine gas which is very poisonous.

EvenI

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 2:19 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Cold water is very cold in the winter. 60 deg might not really be 60, you might have to use warm or hot water.

No - I'm in EY. I mean 60 degrees Celsius. And we haven't actually hit cold weather yet. 60 is a hot wash.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 2:59 am
Put a smaller load in the machine, and soak in Kalia Lavan, in hot water, for an hour or so. Not overnight because then it all turns yellow for some reason.

sped

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 3:40 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Put a smaller load in the machine, and soak in Kalia Lavan, in hot water, for an hour or so. Not overnight because then it all turns yellow for some reason.

Is that what happened to DH's shirts - some of them? What do I do now? Any suggestions?

EvenI

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 4:16 am
sped wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Is that what happened to DH's shirts - some of them? What do I do now? Any suggestions?

Soak in Kalia Tzahov in hot water, overnight.

(not really Smile)

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 9:07 am
bananasplit wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:

How do you do the baking soda or vinegar soak? Does it work to get ink stains off in a white load? I just washed a load of dh's undershirts and didnt realize there was a sweatshirt there that had a pen in the pocket so now there is ink all over!

put laundry in machine, set the machine to soak, add a box of baking soda or a cup of vinegar, and let soak, and if you can have machine agitate a few times to make sure all the laundry gets all the soda/vinger

pen stains--try q-tips and alcohol (rubbing, not vodka). I have gotten pen stains out of everything with alcohol, but I'm not sure how much pen stain we're talking. assuming it's not a white sweatshirt?

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 9:09 am
EvenI wrote:
sped wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Soak in Kalia Tzahov in hot water, overnight.

(not really Smile)

I don't know what either of these products are. in the US, I use biz or oxyclean and soak overnight. all of my clothes are all cotton, or mostly cotton. poly blends are notoriously difficult to remove stains from.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry