Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Help me plan a vacation for our family

shev143

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 7:49 pm
We would like to take our kids away for a 1 night/2 day trip during their chanukah vacation.
DD is 6 1/2
DD is 51/2
DS is 4 1/2
DD is 3 months old.
Needs to be near NYC - willing to drive approx 2 hours.
Last year we went to an inddor water park- Great Wolf Lodge looking for other ideas that everyone can enjoy.
TIA

ima_dina084

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 10:36 pm
Sorry OP I don't have any ideas, but would also be interested in hearing other posters
But can you tell me about grat wolf lodge, was that just a regular water park or were they catering to frum families, ie separate.. Anything?

shev143

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 9:19 am
they did not cater to the frum crowd.
the women who wanted to wore cover ups.

shev143

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 10:12 am
just saw there is a vacation forum...how should I move this over there

sky

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 11:59 am
My family LOVES going to Hershey park this time of year:
Its geared toward little kids, there are no lines and it is cheap. I have 4 kids, 6 and under and we have been going every year since my oldest was born (6 years now). and they talk about it all year.
We bundle up in warm clothing, most years its not as cold as it looks. If we need a break the bathrooms and arcades are heated.
Sundays its open almost the entire day - but we typically go on a Thursday - when it is open from about 5 - 9. Its fun for the kids to stay up late, we bring supper.
The chocolate world is also open and free - you can go there the next morning - they have the 3D movie, make chocolate activity, chocolate ride, trolley ride. we only do the chocolate ride that is free - you can go on it 3 times and get lots of free treats (if you are cholov yisroel ask for nut free food, and they will give you twizzlers) my kids love that.

The only negative is that its very holiday themed. But my kids don't get that part - so for now I'm okay with that.

It may be further then 2 hours, but its a lot of fun.

shev143

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 5:29 pm
thanks sky, we were actually thinking of hershey but what else is there to do there other than the free chocolate word? Are the rides there open as well?
Holiday theme doesnt bother me either. We were thinking to drive to Crayola factory, drive out to Hershey - if there is enough to do there. Maybe the Herrs tour and the Sahara Sam on the way back. But it might be too much driving.
Any other suggesstions?

sky

Post Fri, Nov 30 2012, 6:46 am
shev143 wrote:
thanks sky, we were actually thinking of hershey but what else is there to do there other than the free chocolate word? Are the rides there open as well?
Holiday theme doesnt bother me either. We were thinking to drive to Crayola factory, drive out to Hershey - if there is enough to do there. Maybe the Herrs tour and the Sahara Sam on the way back. But it might be too much driving.
Any other suggesstions?

Hershey park itself is open. There are mainly slow rides open. I think anything that is not hydraulic. They have the actual rides listed on their website. The lines are short in the winter (at least when we have been there) so it keeps the kids very busy and the entrance price is pretty cheap (I think if you show up after a certain time you can also use your tickets for 2 days - so spend 2 hours in Hershey at night, stay over and go the next evening again).

shev143

Post Fri, Nov 30 2012, 7:48 am
Thank you, my DH liked this idea so much we will probably be going on Sunday. BUT...they are not open during the Chanuka vacation. So we still need any ideas for a two day trip somewhat close to brooklyn.
Thanks again sky!

sky

Post Fri, Nov 30 2012, 7:57 am
When is your chanuka vacation?
the park is open Dec. 9.
The Chocolate world is open both on the 9th and the 10th.
Could you go Dec. 9 to Hershey and then Dec. 10 to Crayola world?

Kumphort

Post Fri, Nov 30 2012, 11:07 am
If you wanted to go to the crayola factory, you can do that and and giggle berry fair.

Giggle berrry fair is a large indoor playground place.

When I was planning this vacation, somone suggested
grand eastonian as a hotel to stay at.

Kumphort

Post Fri, Nov 30 2012, 11:08 am
Also you can look into Lancaster, there is a hotel with a nice pool
http://willowvalley.com/

There is a small children's museum in Lancaster...

GOod Luck and have fun

shev143

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:29 am
thanks. We did Hershey this past Satt nite and Sunday. My girls have vacation on Dec 12 and 13. So we figured if we would be going on a Sunday this past one was a good one because of the mild weather.
I will look into the giggle berry fair. Things near the Crayola factory I guess are better so that e can keep this drive shorter.
Thanks for your help

shev143

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 10:45 am
Any ideas on things to do near Crayola? We pretty much decided on that but, need to add another idea for another day.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 12:29 pm
Near Crayola there is an underground cavern. It doesn't take a lot of time though, and I'm not sure if they are open in the winter, but you can try googling it.

shev143

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 12:45 pm
They are not open during winter season. Thank you, though, for the suggestions.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 12:48 pm
sesame place?
I saw they are open this year - but its expensive and looked very holiday themed. I've never been there this time of year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers