Home

Frozen chicken left out over night

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Chippies

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 11:58 am       Post subject: Frozen chicken left out over night
I feel kind of silly posting this because I think the answer is obvious, but since my husband disagrees, we decided to open up the discussion here. I took chicken out of the freezer last night and put it onto the counter at around 9pm. I asked my husband to put it into the fridge before going to bed (he was going to be up for longer than I was) and he forgot. At 7am this morning, we saw it out on the counter. My husband used to work at a butcher shop and said that if meat/chicken goes bad, it has an obvious bad smell. Well, the chicken doesn't smell bad at all. It looks and smells totally normal. I still feel like it's poisonous but he thinks it's fine. Other opinions?

Barbara

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 12:07 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
The current wisdom is not to defrost on the counter overnight.

However, it used to be that "everyone" did it that way, and I can't recall anyone getting sick from it. So if the chicken was still quite cold, and you're going to cook it thoroughly, its likely to be OK.
'Cause if you don't well those are the breaks
Jim Croce

brocha1

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 12:16 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
hi I did that thursday night friday morning I cooked bh all okay I would not do it on a hot night

yksraya

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 12:20 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
It's usually not a problem. And yes spoiled chicken has a horrible smell which you can't miss.

Chippies

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 12:26 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
Ok, thank you everyone! I'll cook it well and hope for the best!

greenfire

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 3:34 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
that's how I defrost things ... overnight

so far I'm still alive to tell the tale
NUTso but cute ~ things balance out Nervous

mother of boyz

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 3:38 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
I ALWAYS defrost my chicken overnight !

aussiemum#1

Post Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013, 9:09 am       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
I agree, if your kitchen wasn't hot then it should be fine, it takes a while to defrost anyways.

chocolate chips

Post Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013, 6:19 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
Its not the ideal way to defrost meat or chicken but I think most people do do it that way, me included.S

So long as it was still at least a bit cold and your house was not too hot, I would just cook it right away.

Happy18

Post Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013, 6:21 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
Old thread I hope she threw out the chicken by now.

esther09

Post Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013, 8:47 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
chocolate chips wrote:
Its not the ideal way to defrost meat or chicken but I think most people do do it that way, me included.S

So long as it was still at least a bit cold and your house was not too hot, I would just cook it right away.

What IS the ideal way, out of curiosity?

shanie5

Post Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013, 10:11 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
esther09 wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

What IS the ideal way, out of curiosity?

Defrost it in the refrigerator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Page 1 of 1