Home

Frozen chicken left out over night

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Chippies

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 10:58 am       Post subject: Frozen chicken left out over night
I feel kind of silly posting this because I think the answer is obvious, but since my husband disagrees, we decided to open up the discussion here. I took chicken out of the freezer last night and put it onto the counter at around 9pm. I asked my husband to put it into the fridge before going to bed (he was going to be up for longer than I was) and he forgot. At 7am this morning, we saw it out on the counter. My husband used to work at a butcher shop and said that if meat/chicken goes bad, it has an obvious bad smell. Well, the chicken doesn't smell bad at all. It looks and smells totally normal. I still feel like it's poisonous but he thinks it's fine. Other opinions?

Barbara

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 11:07 am       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
The current wisdom is not to defrost on the counter overnight.

However, it used to be that "everyone" did it that way, and I can't recall anyone getting sick from it. So if the chicken was still quite cold, and you're going to cook it thoroughly, its likely to be OK.

brocha1

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 11:16 am       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
hi I did that thursday night friday morning I cooked bh all okay I would not do it on a hot night

yksraya

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 11:20 am       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
It's usually not a problem. And yes spoiled chicken has a horrible smell which you can't miss.

Chippies

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 11:26 am       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
Ok, thank you everyone! I'll cook it well and hope for the best!

greenfire

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 2:34 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
that's how I defrost things ... overnight

so far I'm still alive to tell the tale
NUTso but cute ~ things balance out Nervous

mother of boyz

Post Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012, 2:38 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
I ALWAYS defrost my chicken overnight !

aussiemum#1

Post Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013, 8:09 am       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
I agree, if your kitchen wasn't hot then it should be fine, it takes a while to defrost anyways.

chocolate chips

Post Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013, 5:19 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
Its not the ideal way to defrost meat or chicken but I think most people do do it that way, me included.S

So long as it was still at least a bit cold and your house was not too hot, I would just cook it right away.

Happy18

Post Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013, 5:21 pm       Post subject: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
Old thread I hope she threw out the chicken by now.

esther09

Post Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013, 7:47 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
chocolate chips wrote:
Its not the ideal way to defrost meat or chicken but I think most people do do it that way, me included.S

So long as it was still at least a bit cold and your house was not too hot, I would just cook it right away.

What IS the ideal way, out of curiosity?

shanie5

Post Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013, 9:11 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Frozen chicken left out over night
esther09 wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

What IS the ideal way, out of curiosity?

Defrost it in the refrigerator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Page 1 of 1