Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Shabbos Shira - Need Kasha Recipes...

amother

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 12:21 pm
This Shabbos is Shabbos Shira. Do you have any Kasha recipes you'd like to share - short and simple, please. Also do you feed the birds Kasha, or bread crumbs? Did anyone hear of putting Kasha into the cholent? Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

zigi

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 12:28 pm
thanks for the heads up! I like making kasha varnishkes. I saute onions and add it to the kasha and noodles.

kakky

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 12:51 pm
I hope it is not too stupid a question but -
what's the connection between shabbot shira and kasha?

egam

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
This Shabbos is Shabbos Shira. Do you have any Kasha recipes you'd like to share - short and simple, please. Also do you feed the birds Kasha, or bread crumbs? Did anyone hear of putting Kasha into the cholent? Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I know somebody who always makes cholent with kasha only. I didn't try it but I don't see why not.

I like to cook it plain and put in the tray under baked chicken. This way it gets the flavor from the chicken and it's very good. I also like to fill blintzes with mix of kasha and chopped hardboiled egg.

We usually feed kasha to birds, but I've never seen them eating it. Maybe this year I'll just put some seeds out.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 4:39 pm
I basically follow the instruction on the back of Wolff's package. I like medium grain consistency, not too mushy not too lumpy. As the instruction says, it really makes difference to coat them in a beaten egg and dry toast kasha first in a pot. I sautee finely chopped onions and mushrooms separately, add them together with the hot water.

I know someone who stuff the chicken with kasha (though nowadays it's not considered safe?). Not sure about cholent, I'm afraid it would turn too mushy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days