Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Need Support!! Getting stressed out abt. upcoming bypass

amother

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 5:32 am
AnI went this week for a consultation with a good bariatric surgeon to see if I was a good candidate for a lap-band or gastric bypass.
Well....yes he felt I was a good candidate for the bypass not the lap-band like I was more expecting..... shock shock One of the reasons is a spinal fusion about 5 yrs. ago so 3/4 of back is titanium & the extra hundred lbs. puts lots of extra stress that results in a lot of pain pretty daily. Then, out of nowhere at an examination he finds I believe it's called an umbiblical hernia (a really good size one), he says we can take care when we do the bypass. shock shock
d, if this wasn't mind-blowing enough for me - due to really LOUD snoring the last year and 1/2, he wants me to go to a sleep study because the surgeon feels strongly I could have sleep apnea!! Confused Confused Crying Also, to back up and explain the other reason he felt the bypass would be better is that I take many medications that easily result in weight gain & or a LOT of difficulty in dieting.....and these meds I'm probably stuck with for life.
So......I apoligize I'm just venting this much, I guess it's like I'm having to come to grips with such shocking news all at
once. I know there are some of you that have been thru bariatric pocedures, I feel I really need some type of support group Question The big question, is there a frum one? And if not what type of others might someone know of??
[color=brown]
Thankyou so much in advance for any support or insight. I just have to keep remembering Hashem doesn't give you a test you can't handle! And if I have to find out abt. these other health issues B"H to find out now versus at a dangerous point I just wish when it rains it doesn't have to pour. shock Crying Exclamation [/color]

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 11:12 am
I don't know too much about all your details - but an umbilical hernia is just a rip in the stomach lining - so to take care of it at the same time as other surgery makes sense - good luck with everything!

Squash

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 11:30 am
Sorry about your sitch. Sad

If what Greenfire is saying is correct, why can't you take care of the hernia and still have the band rather than the bypass?

The Mishpacha has a writeup on these surgeries this week in their Family First issue. Check it out.

Also, I'm hoping to have the lapband very soon be'ezras Hashem. PM me.

MyKidsRQte

Post Fri, Feb 09 2007, 5:08 pm
there is a website that I found extremely helpful, before and after surgery. I there is anything I can do to help you, please feel free to PM me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise