Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Filthy tzitzis strings HELP

flmommy

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 9:58 am
The neck and the strings of my boys tzitzi's always her disgusting. I hand wash them but they still look gross. Other then buying new ones does anyone have a suggestion?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 10:06 am
Do you have a mesh bag like this for washing delicates?

I use a trick I learned from my mother. Tear a piece of foil and wrap it around the tzitzis strings. Place the tzitzis in the mesh bag (you can do a few pairs at the same time, but don't overstuff the bag), and wash them in a regular white load with bleach. They come out nice and clean, and the foil keeps the strings from getting tangled up and/or unraveling.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 10:14 am
flmommy wrote:
The neck and the strings of my boys tzitzi's always her disgusting. I hand wash them but they still look gross. Other then buying new ones does anyone have a suggestion?
The strings are called tziziyot. The whole garment is called tzitzit or arba kanfot. Tzi tzi is slang Hebrew for boobs.

Merrymom

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 10:37 am
They sell a special tzitzis whitener in the kosher stores but you can just soak it in oxygen bleach overnight and then wash it in your regular wash inside a large sock tied shut.

yogabird

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 10:49 am
Merrymom wrote:
They sell a special tzitzis whitener in the kosher stores but you can just soak it in oxygen bleach overnight and then wash it in your regular wash inside a large sock tied shut.

I've ruined a couple of pairs of tzitzis by soaking for too long in that special tzitzis cleaner. The black lines ran into the rest of the tzitzis and created ugly brown stains. Aside from that, I never found that they really whitened all that well, and certainly not the strings.

flmommy

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 9:39 am
Thanks tamari and everyone else. I think I just need to budget for replacements Avery few months.

lizard8

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 9:42 am
If you need to replace the strings, you can save money by using your garment and having new strings added. DH did that in E'Y, I don't know if they do it everywhere though.

Miri1

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 11:01 am
Okay, next questions, how do you stop the threads from fraying and ending up different lengths?

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 11:14 am
I wash them regular in a white load, untangle the strings and hang dry. but I still buy new ones every year or as needed. the strings get worn out and eventually are different lengths but by the time they are truly awful I'm ready to get new ones anyways.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry