Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is it "not yeshivish" to wear sunglasses?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

DrMom

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 1:50 am
amother wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have no idea about fashion, but if the sun hurts your eyes you're supposed to protect your health. If you need sunglasses, then wear them! Cool

Lovely post but completely useless as far as answering the question goes.

Why so snippy, Mrs. Anonymous?

checkbefore

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 1:56 am
flowerpower wrote:
I think yeshivish people do wear them. Maybe not all of them. In the summer I don't leave home without them. Ever!

You shouldn't leave without them in the winter either.

Inspired

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 3:43 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Its a fashion statement. But I wear them sometimes in very sunny weather cuz I can barely see sometimes with the glare. But I wear really small frames, and not mirrored ones.

I dont care about fashion. I wear them because sun hurts my eyes.

c.c.cookie

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 4:43 am
I suffer from migraines, and recently started getting them from strong sunlight. So without a choice, I went out and bought sunglasses. Honestly, I do feel self-conscious sometimes, mainly when I'm going to work because I teach in a Chasidishe school and not ONE of the staff members wears sunglasses. BUT, self-conscious or not, I have no choice. It's not my fault the thing I need for my health also happens to be fashionable... I do take them off as I get closer to school though...

sequoia

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 5:43 am
I HAVE to wear sunglasses -- the eye doctor said.

I have the big huge ones that fit over my glasses.

Good thing I'm not yeshivish.

Curioser and curioser...

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 6:27 am
I wear sunglasses all of the time and I consider myself yeshivish.
There is a big difference between wearing sunglasses outside for practical reasons and wearing them as a fashion statement.

shirtsandskirts

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 6:46 am
amother wrote:
Do only cool/with it/trendy women wear sunglasses?

I seem to have that impression and have noticed that the yesivish women around do not wear them.
I am wondering if the yeshivish crowd doesn't wear sunglasses purposely, or for no specific reason?
If a yeshivish lady will wear nice sunglasses will she be looked at different?

(Please don't bash me, I might be completely wrong but I'm in the yeshivsh crowd sort of too and am really wondering)
thanks!

Wait, so yeshivish women are cool/with it/ trendy?

nyer1

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 8:22 am
The only reason why there would ever be a rule like this would be because some imamothers sat around and decided who gets to wear sunglasses and who doesn't. Wink

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 8:30 am
Emotional wrote:
Funny because I see sunglasses, especially mirrored ones, as a tznius . It provides a sense of anonymity.

That's what I don't like about sunglasses -- they hide your eyes. Makes it harder for me to read your tone when we're speaking. But if you need them, you need them.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 9:11 am
nyer1 wrote:
The only reason why there would ever be a rule like this would be because some imamothers sat around and decided who gets to wear sunglasses and who doesn't. Wink

If it were only about Imamothers....

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 9:29 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I only got a couple years ago when I was able to buy them cheaply, since I need prescription sunglasses (I wear glasses) -- I use them for driving mainly. Maybe a lot of yeshivish people wear glasses and it's hard for them to get prescription sunglasses? Wink

Just so people know
If you need sunglasses because your eyes are hurt by the sun and you have prescription glasses, instead of spending a lot of money on prescription sunglasses, you can actually get 'clip on' sunglasses that are placed over your actual glasses. Most pharmacy chains carry them. You match the shape up as closely as you can. They area bout $8-10 ea and if you get new glasses after a few years that are the same general shape, you can still use the same clip on's

here is one company, but there are others

http://www.solarshield.com/ sizing guide http://www.diopticssunwear.com.....e.pdf

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 9:45 am
Yeah, I know, and used them years ago, but never found them to fit right (maybe because I wear children's sized frames?)

They're also hard to put on while driving, whereas the sunglasses themselves I can easily do in one second at a red light or stop sign.

(Regarding season, I actually find I need them more in the winter than the summer!)

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Fri, Jul 05 2013, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 10:06 am
I am Chassidish (although I wasn't always) and I NEVER walk out of my house without sunglasses. If they're inexpensive and look nice on me I'll buy them. With stuff on them, without. Whatever. I think they look nice on me too. Anyone who doesn't like it can whistle as far as I'm concerned. Salut They don't have to make shidduchim with my kids.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 10:59 am
I have sunglasses that I keep in the car. cheapo ones from walmart or target. so does dh. (he got ones that go over his glasses- not clip on ones but a whole second glasses.)

otherwise I generally dont wear them (I am yeshivish)

yeshivish people that do wear sunglasses, generally wont get the "in" ones or are more likely to get the cheapest ones that do the job.

whereas my SIL who is not yeshivish (tho comes from yeshivish background) wears sunglasses every time she walks out the door in the summer... but for her its a fashion statement as much as a practical thing to wear. she gets brand names and a new one every year. and does the same for her kids. (she puts sunglasses on her child who is under a year... in addition to a rimmed hat and a stroller sunshade.) they dont get the same brands as she does, but they dont get the cheapest ones either.

that would be the difference in my mind.

shlomitsmum

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 11:01 am
I see them everywhere even among the kollel wives no mirrored ones or crazy colors/designs though .

Personally I need them otherwise I get terrible headaches and eye strain. I was shocked to learn you can get something similar to an eye sunburn so young toddlers should use them too shock Plus squinting gives you wrinkles and who wants those prematurely? ...Not me Wink

Mine are classy and trendy but not obnoxious I have several pairs of Aldo ones and I love them . My toddlers are sunglass slayers by trade LOL so no fancy ones for me in a while.

Dark eyeliner reduces glare but you gotta know were to draw the line Smile between racoon and tasteful.

a few good reasons for Cool

http://thevisioncarecenter.com.....sses/

shlomitsmum

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 11:14 am
DH: "huh? if HaRav Ovadia wears them that's good enough for me " Cool

Inspired

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
I have sunglasses that I keep in the car. cheapo ones from walmart or target. so does dh. (he got ones that go over his glasses- not clip on ones but a whole second glasses.)

otherwise I generally dont wear them (I am yeshivish)

yeshivish people that do wear sunglasses, generally wont get the "in" ones or are more likely to get the cheapest ones that do the job.

whereas my SIL who is not yeshivish (tho comes from yeshivish background) wears sunglasses every time she walks out the door in the summer... but for her its a fashion statement as much as a practical thing to wear. she gets brand names and a new one every year. and does the same for her kids. (she puts sunglasses on her child who is under a year... in addition to a rimmed hat and a stroller sunshade.) they dont get the same brands as she does, but they dont get the cheapest ones either.

that would be the difference in my mind.

So if mine cost 20 shekel from street vendor and I only replace them if the get lost or broken or too scratched too see through well then clearly they cannot be a fashion statement, by your logic, right?

If the sun didn't hurt my eyes and head and give me migraines I would absolutely not wear sun glasses. It is a huge pain in the neck to keep track of them, and take them off inside without losing them but have them readily available for when I have to go outside.

centurion

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 11:23 am
I guess I never got the memo.
Okay yeshiva world, kick me out. I can't drive the belt parkway without sunglasses. (anyone else find that the most annoyingly glaringly sunny highway? especially in the winter)
And since I'm wearing them anyway, I try and keep them fashionable, though I wouldn't know fashionable if it slapped me in the face.
what is it about threads about making sacrifices to fit into the box? (chassidish women and driving, and now this. btw, which is a more objectionable offense?)

Merrymom

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 11:46 am
This is what annoys me about the yeshivishe world, we don't have enough asked of us, we need to come up with new things to disallow on our own. FTR, my dd is very creative and did up her hair in a whole head of tiny afro braids, beads and all. I'll be going out with her soon so if you see us feel free to say hello. Let kids be kids and let the adults breathe a little, just because it's a little different does not make it untznius.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 12:16 pm
I see yeshivish and chassidish people with sunglasses.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics