Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Making Shabbos in this heat

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 3:40 pm
How do you manage it?

I know some women here live in Israel and it is probably a regular problem, but its not something people in the NE US usually have to deal with.

I sent DH out to get an AC for the kitchen before we turn on the oven, but Im still dreading it

Any suggestions?

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 3:51 pm
I go crockpot crazy. If I can make something in the crockpot I do. I have made so many recipes for the oven in a crockpot and they have all come out great.

Also we are having cold food for lunch. Anyone who wants cholent can eat it in shul tomorrow.

lk1234

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 3:54 pm
I was going to post the same topic! It is so so hot and as good as our central air is bh, it just wont compete with the oven and stove !

I am grilling up some chicken for a grilled chicken salad for lunch tomorrow.
I bought challa, something that I rarely do (I had just used up what was left in the freezer)
I put up a potato soup- took 1 hour on the stove. But that will be supper for tonight.
I bought tons of fruits and vegetables
and thats it!!

Happy18

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 4:06 pm
Making simple shabbos and pulling as much out of the freezer as possible. Not having company this week which also helps. Staying in the kitchen for small amounts of time and drinking constantly. If this heat continues I'm going to buy an AC for the kitchen.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 6:19 pm
it's too hot ... everybody drink Drunken Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 19 2013, 10:37 pm
greenfire wrote:
it's too hot ... everybody drink Drunken Smile

Cheers

I make several different types of salad, cold poached salmon, cold sliced roast beef with horseradish sauce, sandwiches for snacks, etc. Just pretend you're going on a picnic, and you'll know what to make.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jul 20 2013, 2:07 pm
(1) Chicken is either grilled outside or crock-potted
(2) No cake baking. It's either bought rugalach and fruit or just fruit
(3) No-bake cheese cake for the am
(4) No long steamy cooked foods. I turn the oven on to 425f, throw in veggies to be roasted, potatoes, potato kugel, whatever we're having that week and then turn the oven off
(5) Challa baking every 2-3 weeks. I get an early start in the am before it's really hot
(6) I have a fan on in the kitchen. When that's not enough (happened once this year so far) I add the LR a/c which isn't great but it helps a little.

This too shall pass!

granolamom

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 12:57 am
we had tons of company this week. I cooked late thurs night and early fri morning. wasnt too bad. I have central a/c which definitely helps some, but it wasnt going below 76F in my house last week.

mandksima

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 9:16 am
I make cold fruit soup or cold tomato gazpacho soup.
Quick dessert like cookie bars/brownies/macaroons or ice cream/mousse cake or fruit salad.
Salad and cold meat for lunch.
One pan chicken and potatoes for dinner. When done, make room on the end of the pan and add frozen veggies before reheating.

busybuthappy

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 9:20 am
I went to the country.

But if I would have been home, I would have put up a chulent in a crockpot, probably made a soup, and bought the rest. Or who knows? Maybe I would have bought everything?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 6:32 pm
We usually go completely off-cholent after shavuoth till 1st day succot. If the weather is really hot, you can start with lots of salatim served cold or room temp. Or slice/wedge melon, or cold soup. Also fish course that is served cold, like smoked salmon, gefilte fish, Moroccan fish, escaveche. Main course, you can do cold roast beef or cold poached sliced chicken. Sides, you can do cold pasta salad, sesame noodle, cold boiled baby potato.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 6:37 pm
Cholent ingredients can be put in a bekel and put on the plata raw. It will cook like that.

Soup can be defrosted and eaten as the main Friday night. Smart mioney is on boiling it first, not just put in on the plata, though.

Otherwise - cut up fruit salad, green salad, slaw from a bag if your family likes that.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 6:59 pm
In summer we switch to the summer menu, with potato salad, pasta salad or tabbouli in lieu of kugel, chicken cooked once every two weeks and frozen--a recipe that can be eaten cold without being too unappetizing--lots of salads and that's about it. No soup and no crockpot foods-who wants hot food when it's so hot, anyway?

We had a guest recently who was THRILLED that all the food was cold, light and summery. I know there are people for whom Shabbat just wouldn't be Shabbat without soup and cholent. Fortunately, we are not among that number.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 7:00 pm
Oh, I forgot--we have a very powerful exhaust fan in the kitchen window. It runs almost continuously in summer and certainly when cooking. Without it, once the oven is turned on, I could use the kitchen itself as an auxiliary oven!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 9:18 pm
it takes half an hour to cook pasta. I think that's a lot.

willow

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 10:11 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Cholent ingredients can be put in a bekel and put on the plata raw. It will cook like that.

Soup can be defrosted and eaten as the main Friday night. Smart mioney is on boiling it first, not just put in on the plata, though.

Otherwise - cut up fruit salad, green salad, slaw from a bag if your family likes that.

What is a bekel?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note