Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Split from religious exemption for not vaxing
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
I know it's a safe haven, but I do want toshare that my unvaccinated husband almost died when he was 7 from mumps encephalitis. That is a brain infection from the virus.

He was in intensive care for 6 months, and spent a year in hospital. His parents were told there was no way he would survive, and sat at his bedside expecting the worst for every day he was in the hospital. That is 365 days of agony and heartache.

I wouldn't wish that on any parent.

My mother grew up an orphan, without her mother, because her mother died of polio, vaccination was available but she didn't want to have it. My mother was 5 years old, and still carries the emotional and psychological scars from being the mommy of the house, and never having a mother.

My dh has ongoing medical problems. We handle it, but they can be an issue.

I would never leave a child of mine unvaccinated. No question, no logical argument, just bitter experience of the outcomes of not being vaccinated.

I'm really sorry for what your DH has been through! I just want to mention that encephalitis is one of the listed side effect (on the product insert) of vaccines too and what happened to your DH is very very rare, as are vaccine reactions. Of course we need to follow medical advice but I'm just saying that you're darned if you do and darned if you don't as neither is 100% safe. May all our efforts to keep our children safe be favorable and may be all be healthy and well till 120.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 11:22 am
im the op of the original thread.
I was writing to get info, not for questions or comments... just btw I do vaccinate on a delayed sched. my older child is almost all up to date! my younger baby who is 6 months has not started due to family history reaction. my doctor suggested I do what I am doing!!!!! I need to send my child to day care while I am at work and they wont accept without an exemption. I am doing whats best for my family!!!!!!!!! your comments wont make me change my mind. and I dont need to answer you either because it wont help you either... just for curiosity?? I posted for info!!

oliveoil

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 1:46 pm
If your doctor recommended waiting, you should be able to get a medical exemption.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
im the op of the original thread.
I was writing to get info, not for questions or comments... just btw I do vaccinate on a delayed sched. my older child is almost all up to date! my younger baby who is 6 months has not started due to family history reaction. my doctor suggested I do what I am doing!!!!! I need to send my child to day care while I am at work and they wont accept without an exemption. I am doing whats best for my family!!!!!!!!! your comments wont make me change my mind. and I dont need to answer you either because it wont help you either... just for curiosity?? I posted for info!!

Was this your post?

"Posted: Yesterday at 6:11 pm Post subject: how do I get a religious exemption?

I need to get a religious exemption for my kids to go to school..( I did not vaccinate them). anyone have info of where I should go to get one and any info I would need? in Brooklyn now..."

If so, there's a world of difference between "delayed and almost caught up" and "I did not vaccinate them."

If it's not your post, then perhaps you should post under your own screen name, to avoid confusion.

BTW, my DD is allergic to the Pertussis vaccine, and all we needed was a note from her doctor. She's caught up on everything else.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 2:15 pm
PS: You might find this thread enlightening.

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....57868

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 3:16 pm
op
"did not vaccinate them" bh I have 2 babies-twins and did not vaccinate them yet. my older child is...

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 3:19 pm
op
I didnt think I need to write my whole family history to get simple info...but I guess I did....

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
op
I didnt think I need to write my whole family history to get simple info...but I guess I did....

You could have at least been more specific. How was anyone supposed to know which "them" you were talking about? I'm still not sure what delayed vaccination has to do with Judaism. Scratching Head

I am more than a bit appalled that you would even consider putting an unvaccinated 6 month old in a day care setting.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 4:48 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

I am more than a bit appalled that you would even consider putting an unvaccinated 6 month old in a day care setting.

while it horrifies me, it does not shock me.

what also horrifies me is that people who do not vax think it's totally acceptable to bring their germy kids around. don't want to vax? stay home.

I cannot grasp why even after the "papers" were debunked people still pressing this.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 5:01 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:

while it horrifies me, it does not shock me.

what also horrifies me is that people who do not vax think it's totally acceptable to bring their germy kids around. don't want to vax? stay home.

I cannot grasp why even after the "papers" were debunked people still pressing this.

Pertussis is EPIDEMIC in my city, and I had to keep DD out of all child groups until she was ready for kindergarten (due to her being allergic to the vaccine). Believe me, kiddo was MORE than ready to be in preschool when she was 3, and was climbing the walls when she was 4. I would have loved to have given her early childhood education with her peers, but the doctor said it wasn't safe for her - because of all the paranoid, granola munching hippies who wouldn't vaccinate their kids who COULD tolerate the vaccine.

Yes, my kid had to miss two years of very important schooling, because of someone else's "right to a religious exemption". I lost two years of income because I couldn't go to work.

Mad <--- this is me, making my "I'm judging you" face.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 5:01 pm
All toddlers are only partially vaccinated. The full schedule of vaccines, administered as per recommendations, isn't complete until an older age.

Should I keep my germy infants and toddlers locked up until the schedule is complete?

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 5:06 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
All toddlers are only partially vaccinated. The full schedule of vaccines, administered as per recommendations, isn't complete until an older age.

Should I keep my germy infants and toddlers locked up until the schedule is complete?

no, I think if you're following the rules, those designed by physicians and scientists, you're fulfilling the social contract.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 5:18 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

no, I think if you're following the rules, those designed by physicians and scientists, you're fulfilling the social contract.

I'm just wondering why everyone is so concerned about their kids coming into contact with older children who are not vaccinated, while it's no big deal to be around toddlers who haven't completed their schedule yet. If there's a measles outbreak, isn't a not yet vaxed one year old in daycare just as likely to transmit it as an unvaxed five year old in preschool?

A poster was horrified that a partially vaccinated six month old would go to daycare. Well, every six month old is only partially vaxed. Where's the logic?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 5:51 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

I'm just wondering why everyone is so concerned about their kids coming into contact with older children who are not vaccinated, while it's no big deal to be around toddlers who haven't completed their schedule yet. If there's a measles outbreak, isn't a not yet vaxed one year old in daycare just as likely to transmit it as an unvaxed five year old in preschool?

A poster was horrified that a partially vaccinated six month old would go to daycare. Well, every six month old is only partially vaxed. Where's the logic?

Assuming the daycare workers and older siblings of all the kids at daycare are properly vaccinated, it is reasonable to assume diseases aren't in the air. If there are selfish people, however, that didn't vaccinate their older siblings then yes, the baby from that home will bring the germs with them to daycare and potentially infect the other babies.

OP obviously couldn't use "medical exemption" as an excuse because any doctor worth his salt would have offered it instead of her running around trying to find some rabbi to get an exemption from.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 8:55 am
Just as a clarification, pertussis can be transmitted by ANY individual, vaccinated or not, as the vaccination does not prevent the spreading of the germ. The benefit of it if it works is that one's own self doesn't get very sick from pertussis; if the DTaP does what it should, it helps on an individual level.

Carry on.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 9:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

That's silly; ALL 6 month-olds are mostly unvaccinated at that age.

mammala120

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 10:11 am
groisamomma wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

Assuming the daycare workers and older siblings of all the kids at daycare are properly vaccinated, it is reasonable to assume diseases aren't in the air. If there are selfish people, however, that didn't vaccinate their older siblings then yes, the baby from that home will bring the germs with them to daycare and potentially infect the other babies.

OP obviously couldn't use "medical exemption" as an excuse because any doctor worth his salt would have offered it instead of her running around trying to find some rabbi to get an exemption from.
[u]

well excuse me but not vaccination or choosing to spread out vaccines IS BY ALL MEANS NOT SELFISH. it is the opposite. selfish people are the ones that go to doctor and let the doc decide what should go into their child's body instead of staying up all night and researching what are in those vaccines and what are better options. do u know what is in those vaccines ......how about aluminum and antifreeze ....dead fetal and dead human residue and much more. I am not against vaccines, I do vaccinate however I always wonder why rabbonim are not requesting kashrut examination on vaccines. no we don't eat it, so does it mean I can pump my veins up or apply lotion made out of pig glycerine or shellfish calcium. yeh it is easier to live with yourself and selfish not knowing.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 10:20 am
Yes, you are halachically allowed to inject yourself with pig and shellfish. Who told you otherwise?

Ima_Shelli

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 10:29 am
mammala120 wrote:
groisamomma wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

[u]

well excuse me but not vaccination or choosing to spread out vaccines IS BY ALL MEANS NOT SELFISH. it is the opposite. selfish people are the ones that go to doctor and let the doc decide what should go into their child's body instead of staying up all night and researching what are in those vaccines and what are better options. do u know what is in those vaccines ......how about aluminum and antifreeze ....dead fetal and dead human residue and much more. I am not against vaccines, I do vaccinate however I always wonder why rabbonim are not requesting kashrut examination on vaccines. no we don't eat it, so does it mean I can pump my veins up or apply lotion made out of pig glycerine or shellfish calcium. yeh it is easier to live with yourself and selfish not knowing.

Yup. One all-nighter makes you much smarter than those uninformed doctors and all the useless years they've devoted to studying pediatrics.

One of the things physicians are taught is how to evaluate data and weigh evidence. I'm glad you think that going online and reading what may very well be junk science puts you on equal footing with your doctor. Would you go online to read about kosher chickens, and then feel empowered to know more than your rav about what makes a chicken kosher?

I don't get why widespread distrust of physicians has become so en vogue among frum people, that's all. I really would like to know where this attitude originated.

Barbara

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 10:33 am
mammala120 wrote:
groisamomma wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
vintagebknyc wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

[u]

Ah yes. Only those who believe that dangerous diseases like polio and small pox were on their way out, and that vaccination had nothing to do with their eradication (in the case of small pox) or decreased incidence (in the case of polio) have done their research.

Only those who believe that diseases that once killed or crippled thousands of people are relatively benign care about their children.

And, let's not forget, a medical degree, internship and residency is utterly worthless. We should never rely upon expertise. Your average person with one year of high school biology is equally able to evaluate medical studies. Oh, wait, every medical study is false, because its a MEDICAL study.

By the way, there is no "antifreeze" in vaccines. You've been listening to Jenny McCarthy again, because, of course, appearing half-naked on MTV is an adequate substitute for medical school and for, oh, I don't know, actually READING the ingredients. (Some vaccines do contain the additive 2-phenoxyethanol, which is an organic chemical compound, but it is not the same as antifreeze (ethylene glycol and propylene glycol). It is a preservative that can help prevent bacterial and fungal contamination of the vaccine.)

In other words, if you want people to respect you, stop acting like everyone other than you is a moron.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics