Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
My cleaning lady went to jail for stealing!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ROFL

Post Sat, Nov 30 2013, 10:08 pm
What I find funny is that someone will lock up their jewelry and money, but have no trouble leaving their kids with a cleaning lady while they run out for a while?

Happy 2B

Post Sat, Nov 30 2013, 10:14 pm
ROFL wrote:
What I find funny is that someone will lock up their jewelry and money, but have no trouble leaving their kids with a cleaning lady while they run out for a while?

You are so right! I would never leave my baby with a cleaning lady but need to be more careful about valuables!

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 30 2013, 10:18 pm
ROFL wrote:

I wouldn't leave money lying around if anyone was going to be alone in my house. Family, friends, anyone. We all have a yetzer hara, and you never know who is struggling so much that money would be a serious temptation to them.

Regarding child care, anyone leaving their child alone with someone should definitely do some research first. However, my main concern would be how the child is treated. It is exceedingly unlikely that a child will be kidnapped by a cleaning lady.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Nov 30 2013, 10:37 pm
waht a silly comparison. People have a compulsion to steal money, not someone else's kids.
My current cleaning lady has pilfered quite a bit of cash here or there and my family even fired her but she's so good I took her back & always keep the cash we have on hand, in my pocket, while she's here. even so, there's odd cash missing here & there & I can never figure out if she took it.
She's really hard to replace though, she's so good at cleaning.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 30 2013, 10:44 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
waht a silly comparison. People have a compulsion to steal money, not someone else's kids.
My current cleaning lady has pilfered quite a bit of cash here or there and my family even fired her but she's so good I took her back & always keep the cash we have on hand, in my pocket, while she's here. even so, there's odd cash missing here & there & I can never figure out if she took it.

I don't think it silly. Maybe the same person may not have the same compulsion but people to take or hurt children so why would you trust someone you wouldn't trust not to steal your money?

greenfire

Post Sat, Nov 30 2013, 10:48 pm
you just weren't clear of all the information in the beginning ...

sorry op - nobody ever wants to feel vulnerable to anybody stealing their possessions ...

amother

Post Sat, Nov 30 2013, 11:03 pm
greenfire wrote:
you just weren't clear of all the information in the beginning ...

sorry op - nobody ever wants to feel vulnerable to anybody stealing their possessions ...

I apologize I was posting from my cell phone.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Nov 30 2013, 11:07 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

??? ????????
No one is that good
What if she steals other stuff besides money

amother

Post Sat, Nov 30 2013, 11:27 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

??? ????????
No one is that good
What if she steals other stuff besides money

I agree how could you let someone in your home who stole your hard earned money? This is the OP and we work waaaay tooo hard to let someone into our home who stole from us. I'd rather clean myself or the house can be a little messier. If I have extra money I would give it to tzedaka not my cleaning lady.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 2:37 am
It is almost impossible here to get a cleaning lady who doesn't steal given the opportunity (uk).

The vast majority come from very impoverished circumstances, and I guess seeing the nice silverware, jewellery and possessions that many of us own, even those who are less financially well off will have our silverware and fancy shabbos set or crystalware from when we got married. It must be an enormous temptation.

Most people I know either make sure the cleaner is not alone in the house, or even in the room for more than a few minutes, or tell their cleaner they have surveillance cameras or computer monitoring. I have heard so many terrible stories about cleaners stealing all the jewellery over many months, taking a holiday back to Romania or Eastern Europe and getting rid of it all, or coming before a big simcha, knowing there would be a lot of cash, and taking all the money, even cleaners who have worked with the family for many months or years.

BH, I have a cleaner I know would not steal anything significant, but I still don't leave money out or something that is a temptation. She is trustworthy enough to let herself in the house when I am out, she takes the key from my neighbor. If she stole something, she would lose all her jobs, as she works 90% for my mil, aunts and cousins, so it is not worth it for her to steal.

10 years ago, it was different, my cleaner had my key and came when I was at work, which was amazing. There is no way I would trust someone like that now, sadly.

octopus

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 5:52 am
I don't let cleaning ladies into my room. period.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 7:19 am
I tried a bunch of cleaning ladies after we fired her.They all took double the time to clean & didnt even fnish the whole house. So they cost me more every week than the odd $5.00 that disappears once in a while. She never takes big amounts, just petty cash. She's not interested in jewelry or silverware. Just cash. So I'm super careful.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 8:56 am
To the op.
Was ur cleaning lady legal? Did u pay her cash or on the books?
If she wasnt legal, aren't u afraid that u will get into troubke for paying her cash?
Just wondering how it works.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 9:28 am
Op here
I don't know if she is legal. I'd be more afraid because my apartment isn't legal but I'm allowed to pay someone cash they have to report it and pay taxes on it not me. She Hungarian and May be legal. Not sure.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 10:39 am
Sure people steal kids.

I mean, crazy, awful people. Nobody you know.

But it needed to be said.

C'mon now. Use your sense.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 10:45 am
Not to scare anyone but my uncle was kidnapped by the cleaning lady. Fortunately they found them at the bus station along with suitcases full of silver and jewelry.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 10:51 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I tried a bunch of cleaning ladies after we fired her.They all took double the time to clean & didnt even fnish the whole house. So they cost me more every week than the odd $5.00 that disappears once in a while. She never takes big amounts, just petty cash. She's not interested in jewelry or silverware. Just cash. So I'm super careful.

it doesn't matter if a thief steals 5ยข or $5 ... they are dishonest which means they have the potential to steal even greater amounts as well ... maybe not today - maybe not tomorrow - but a thief is a thief is a thief ... not trustworthy

amother

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 10:57 am
In my experience as a prosecutor, nobody asks if she was paid on the books or if the victim's apartment is legal. The DA's office will prosecute the theft that was reported to the police if there's enough evidence. OP, make sure you are available to the ADA who will be in touch by phone or mail if you want the cleaning lady to be held accountable. Without your cooperation, the case falls apart and it's like it never happened.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
In my experience as a prosecutor, nobody asks if she was paid on the books or if the victim's apartment is legal. The DA's office will prosecute the theft that was reported to the police if there's enough evidence. OP, make sure you are available to the ADA who will be in touch by phone or mail if you want the cleaning lady to be held accountable. Without your cooperation, the case falls apart and it's like it never happened.

This is the OP. What has been your experience?

Do you know if there is any way for me to recover the money she stole on other occasions? She admitted to taking other money. But I was told I have to just forget about that? I am ready and willing to go in as neccesary.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 8:57 pm
You should ask the ADA who gets your case to explain why past incidents are not part of the case. IMHO it is an evidentiary, or proof, problem, but the prosecutor who has the file with all the facts is better equipped to explain. I can't give you legal advice, obviously, but also I think the person who will reach out to you should be the one to explain legal concepts. Ask as many questions as you need to.

You should ask for the Crime Victims Board's information.

Good luck!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry