Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How do you know it fits???

musicmom

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 12:50 pm
Sheitel wearers, I realllllly appreciate your advice! I have had horrible luck with sheitels, and wear them sparingly (they are all too tight). I hope someday I will find one that fits!

The person I would choose to cut sheitels said she found a few for me to try on. As always, when it comes to sheitels, I get nervous! How does this work? Do you ever get to wear it for a few hours or take it home to think about it or return it in three days if it hurts?

I believe the brand she is going to show me is Freeda. I also know someone who sells extra large Kiki's. Is one brand more comfortable than another? If it is all about luck, I haven't had any when it comes to sheitels, and do not want to waste money. Also, I really do want to be a good mom and example to my kids though.

Any advice for sheitel shopping. If something looks good, how do you know when to commit? How much time are you able to spend wearing it to be sure it is comfortable?

I was going to get my hair cut this week but could reschedule and wait a little longer. Should my hair be normal to make sure it fits when trying on sheitels or is it okay to trim it now?

My sheitels have been stretched, let out, etc. My last one was even custom made to my measurements. No amount of tweaking made me feel like my brains were not being squeezed out!

Thanks in advance for ALL your advice!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 12:55 pm
When I bought my last wig I was very honest about all the issues I had w my other wigs, and the seller allowed me to take one home(uncut) and wear it over the weekend to make sure it fit comfortably. I was so grateful!
Maybe yours will allow the same thing (perhaps if you give her a deposit- although I didn't give one for mine.)

musicmom

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:08 pm
Thanks. I appreciate your advice!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 2:35 pm
Forgot to say that I have a largish head and had ultra thick long hair when I bought the wig, so I specifically got a large cap.
Makes it much more comfortable to wear.
Also, some brands/types of nets are lighter, some heavier so try on a few brands. There is 1 brand (can't recall which) that a lot of ppl find comfy. I tried it and found the top very stiff on my head. So try try try as many types of caps as you can!

suzyq

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 3:24 pm
I also have a large head so it does make it a little difficult. I have a large Freeda and LOVE it. It has plenty of room and it very comfortable. The hair is beautiful and is in fantastic shape after being worn very heavily for two years. I don't have any experience with Kiki's.

I just bought a new fall and the woman who sold it doesn't sell falls with large caps. But what she did for me was opened up the cap - she added some fabric inside to make it bigger and I think she added a little bit at the sides also. She even added a couple rows of hair to make it fit better. Now it fits perfectly and is very comfortable!

I would at least ask the person you are getting it from if you can take it home and wear it for a couple days to make sure it's comfortable.

Good luck!

musicmom

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 4:11 pm
Thanks.

So should I hold off on cutting my hair until I try on sheitels, to make sure they fit over my hair when it is longer?

How do you know when you have found "the one"?

Is it okay if you like a sheitel to ask them to hold it for a week while you look at other ones? Can you talk about the fact that you want to look at a couple places?

I am so grateful for all your expertise!

Beyla

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 5:23 pm
Tell her everything you told us.

I also have a large head but the large size usually fits me.

When I find a good sheitel (my size and style) I come to try it on several times. Then I leave and think about it and when I'm really sure I buy it.

Take a picture of you with the sheitel and show it to your dh or a good friend.

To feel good in your sheitel try to put a finger in the cap while you wear it. If it fits with the finger you should be comfortable. Too large isn't good either.

Hatzlacha! I hope you find one you love!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 5:51 pm
How much do you plan to cut it and what's the most common hair length?
I used to have long hair, went very short ( and hair took longer than planned to grow back), so my cap is too large.
However, I got a wig grip band and now it's great.
Can u find a wig lady who sells a few diff brands to try? I've found that the seller being easy to work with and honest and patient was the most helpful for me.
I did actually go to a few places to try on various brands- come to think of it

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 5:06 am
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice so far. I ended up going to places in NY that I knew carried extra large cap sheitels in one day and trying them on. NOTHING fit, everything felt too tight. A salesperson told me that the wig I have does fit, but I felt that my head was being squeezed all day wearing it. I was told that I have an extra extra large head.

My own hair is just at my shoulders, but extremely thick. Should I just cut it short and see if that makes a difference in sheitel comfort? One salesperson told me it would not make a difference, but I know that I have a lot of hair. My hair is curly and wide. I know I should probably just save the haircut money and shave my head, and maybe that would fit the best, but I am nervous of how I will look!

If cutting my hair works, I will be so excited to wear a sheitel. If not, it will take me a long time to grow my hair into a good length to wear my tichels again. My haircut is scheduled for tomorrow.

Thx everyone for all the ideas!

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:27 am
How about thinning your hair instead of shaving it all off?
Cutting curly hair very short might make it poof up more

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 11:23 am
I know it could pouf. I also hate thinning my hair, as it looks so different. Hmmm.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 1:03 pm
Can you straighten it? Or layer it so it lies flatter? The flatter/ thinner the hair the more comfy the wig will feel.
Or maybe the shaitel macher can add it just a bit of extra material, or let out the elastic so if fits better

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 4:16 pm
I could layer it but should some layers be shorter than fitting in a pony? I can't straighten it every day. I don't think a short pony feels so comfortable with my sheitel either, but maybe another one will feel different.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:03 pm
I meant a chemical straightening. Some ppl cut the whole thing very short so wig slides on without needing a pony at all.

Lady Bug

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 7:40 pm
Where does your wig feel tight?

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 8:15 pm
Oh. How short? A couple inches?

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 8:20 pm
Mine feels tight everywhere (my whole head) as did the other xtra larges I tried. Like my brains are being squished. Although I was told it looks like it fits! So frustrating. Maybe I shouldn't cut it until I find a sheitel macher so she can see the full extent of my problem?

musicmom

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 8:34 am
Thank you, Tiki Dean!

In case anyone is reading this post with a hurting sheitel, I cut all my hair off but saved it in braids to match sheitel colors in the future. I then shaved my hair and my sheitel is too big but fits with a wiggrip.

I feel GREAT and AMAZING and I am totally cute bald :-)

I got some prettied tichels with long ends at uptown girls on 13th in boro park and they don't even look like I don't have hair when I wear them.

Tiki Dean had some amazing curly sheitels that look like my real hair. I just want to save up and get used to wearing my other sheitel first.

If you are in so much pain you can't wear a sheitel and are too big a size, get rid of your hair. I am sooooooo comfy now!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels