Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Alternative Electricity Suppliers for Northern NJ (PSE&G)

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:03 pm
I'm looking for an alternative electricity supplier, I'm served by PSE&G in northern NJ. Supply cost on my latest bill was 11.7 cents kWh.

Until several months ago, I had a supplier that guaranteed a lower supply cost than PSE&G for any given months. I appreciated knowing that I was getting a better rate than PSE&G, even if it wasn't the lowest possible rate, and liked that I didn't have to worry about any price spikes. Unfortunately that supplier stopped serving my area, so I'm back to PSE&G and looking for something better.

Are there any alternative suppliers that guarantee a better rate than PSE&G? If not, I'd be willing to go with a supplier that would offer a better rate than the 11.7 cents/ kWh I'm paying now, preferably for 6 months or more. I'd really like a rate with no cancellation penalty too, if that's possible.

I know Ambit offers good rates, but I'd prefer either a fixed rate or one that's guaranteed to be lower rate than PSE&G's supply cost.

Verde energy is offering 11.3 cents/ kWh, guaranteed for 6 months, with no cancellation fee, and a $75 cash rebate after the 2nd or 3rd month of service. This is better than what I'm paying, especially because I'd guess that PSE&G's rates will likely rise during the summer. But can I do better? Can anyone offer guidance on this?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:24 pm
I was using Systrum based on a few recommendations. Unfortunately they sent me letters cancelling my subscription or whatever it's called because they can't compete with PSE&G due to outsized demand for utilities since this winter has been so crazy. My gas bill to heat my rather small 3 bedroom house has been between $500-$600 per month and it is still so cold in my house that I have to run a space heater while I'm dressing my kids after the bath. My toddler sleeps in a onesie, fleece pajamas, and a fleece sleep sack (with a quilt on top). When will winter end?

mommytoo

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:47 pm
There is a hotline that provides free information about third party energy suppliers. They are very knowledgeable and explain the options clearly. Their number is 732-474-8275.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 7:30 pm
OP here. amother, I think my old electricity supplier stopped providing because they couldn't guarantee a lower rate. I'm looking forward to warm weather but I know that when it comes I'll be using lots more electricity (I have central air) so I'd like to lock in a better rate now.

mommytwo, does that hotline serve only commercial/ industrial customers or residents too? Also, how are they funded? Do they make money from the customers or the suppliers or are they funded by the BPU or what? I called but just got a message, and haven't gotten a call back?

mommytoo

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 11:01 pm
OP- It's a private person who has a lot of experience dealing with third party providers, and realizes the need for people to be informed so that they can avoid the risks involved in switching.

Hatzlocha, hope that helps you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics