Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ketchup- offended?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 5:05 pm
I have the same thing. what I do for a lot of foods is make them with ketchup, like ketchup based sauces and stuff (not tom sauce which I can't stand). I also don't necessarily put as much effort into certain foods bec of this. worse comes to worse, I console myself by saying that I'm adding 10 tons of salt to everything so what's the diff? (of course, the diff is salt enhances a foods taste, ketchup covers it). the funny thing is also that I'll eat mac and cheese and ketchup and dh won't add ketchup to mac and cheese bec he says it kills the taste of the expensive, delicious cheese.

side point- have you tried the triangle cheese with macaroni? I find thats the only cheese here that tastes good with macaroni (or anyything else for that matter).

BennysMommy

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 5:12 pm
hmmm well this is my opinion. ketchup has tons of added sugar...maybe he just has a sweet tooth? do u ever make sweet dishes and make him taste them before adding the ketchup? maybe some sweet and tangy chicken? and the reason he doesnt like the tomatoey things but would rather ketchup is bc the tomatoey dishes arent sweet.
I could be soooo off but its just my guess. thats why kids love ketchup so much!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 5:23 pm
shanie - aren't you the mikvah lady?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 5:25 pm
Ketchup squirter by day, mikvah lady at night. Tune in for the amazing adventures of Shanie!

greenfire

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 8:47 pm
my little dd started her love affair with ketchup at like 1 1/2 ... ate it on bread ... went crazy one pesach when we didn't have any ... my sister tried crushing a tomatoe ... calmed her a bit ... we put it on our eggs ... I like it too but just not on everything and could live without pesach ketchup ...

shanie5

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:27 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
shanie - aren't you the mikvah lady?

cm, u had me laughing out loud-that hasnt happened in a long time!!!!
u too defy.

my job is mikvah lady, my business is catering and take out food.

Seraph

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 12:09 am
BennysMommy wrote:
hmmm well this is my opinion. ketchup has tons of added sugar...maybe he just has a sweet tooth? do u ever make sweet dishes and make him taste them before adding the ketchup? maybe some sweet and tangy chicken? and the reason he doesnt like the tomatoey things but would rather ketchup is bc the tomatoey dishes arent sweet.
I could be soooo off but its just my guess. thats why kids love ketchup so much!

Nope, not a sweet tooth. He complains when I make things too sweet...

But yea, it does make my making lunches for him easier. I can dump a can of tuna over plain noodles and add ketchup and he's happy.

What is the triangle cheese, MDM? Is it the one with the funky coating on it?

Seraph

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 12:13 am
I just made chicken chow mein last night and spent hours on it and YAY!!! my husband didn't put ketchup on it... And when I pointed it out, he jokingly said "Well, now that you mention it, pass the ketchup."

I think I'm gonna make a rule- absolutely no ketchup on chinese food. Cuz thats just GROSS!!! Ketchup and soy sauce absolutely cannot go together. If he puts ketchup with soy sauce I'll be too disgusted to eat my meal...

Mishie

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 2:24 am
Defy, you just reminded me. One of DH's other "staples" is Schug סחוג. He puts tons of it on sandwiches (like cold-cut sandwiches) and now my kids are really into it. (they pretend it's "not hot at all"!!! LOL )

I guess some people really like the extra חריף in their food.
Do you also enjoy: Hot peppers? Jalapeno peppers etc..?

Breslov - I aplogize for changing your thread from ketchup to Hot-stuff.

So, back to Ketchup - You said that there's no way you can mix Soy-sauce and ketchup.....
I know of a great recipe for Chicken Glaze which has Soy-sauce and Ketchup in it.... Wink

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 2:40 am
ketchup, soy sauce adn brown sugar mixed together on chicken, yum.
the tirangle cheese comes like a wheel, each one wrapped in tin foil, a pain to peel but delicious (salty also).

Seraph

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 2:44 am
I'm sorry, in my head tomatoes have to stay far far far far far away from soy. Tomatoes don't belong in chinese food...

I'll mix duck sauce, wine, and soy sauce...
But no way would I do that with ketchup.

I guess I grew up eating all different types of foods- chinese, middle eastern, italian, european, and I know what types of food belong in each of them- and I would NEVER mix them...
Just as I would never mix dairy products with soy sauce...

mimivan

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 3:55 am
Breslov:
Well, if it's any consolation, if he's putting ketchup on everything, it's not your food that's to blame, he just likes ketchup!
I agree with the poster who said the only reason he doesn't do it at other people's houses is he's probably self-conscious! (a ketchup addict! Maybe there is a 12 step program LOL )

Seraph

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 3:58 am
mimivan wrote:
Breslov:
Well, if it's any consolation, if he's putting ketchup on everything, it's not your food that's to blame, he just likes ketchup!
I agree with the poster who said the only reason he doesn't do it at other people's houses is he's probably self-conscious! (a ketchup addict! Maybe there is a 12 step program LOL )

He doesn't do it at his mothers house, nor at his father's house. He didn't do it until we got married...

DefyGravity

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 8:04 am
Mishie wrote:
Defy, you just reminded me. One of DH's other "staples" is Schug סחוג. He puts tons of it on sandwiches (like cold-cut sandwiches) and now my kids are really into it. (they pretend it's "not hot at all"!!! LOL )

I guess some people really like the extra חריף in their food.
Do you also enjoy: Hot peppers? Jalapeno peppers etc..?

I like spicy pepperonincini peppers from the jar - they're my favorite snack. I also like the spicy Israeli peppers from the can (or jar), but I haven't been able to find them here. In NY I'd buy them all the time and constantly walk around with a terrible stomach ache!

Ima'la

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 8:32 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Ketchup squirter by day, mikvah lady at night. Tune in for the amazing adventures of Shanie!

I don't know, Shanie - sounds like it could cause serious shaylas! Wink

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 9:55 am
I figured they were related, like ourmikvah that has popcorn to munch on as you leave. I figured ketchup had something to do with that.

JRKmommy

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 10:20 am
Honestly, I think that everyone is entitled to their own unique taste preferences. His preference is for ketchup, so unless you serve food in ketchup sauce, he'll probably add ketchup to it. He's not doing it to offend you - he's allowed to have different tastes.

I'm not sure that it's possible to really season food "perfectly", so that it meets everyone's taste. Take my family:

Dh likes food spicy - the hotter, the better. He puts hot sauce on everything.

Dd#1 likes her food PLAIN, ketchup is the only flavour she'll add. No vegetables, no sauce, nothing mixed, nothing green, no spice - she basically lives on cereal, milk, apples, yogurt tubes, eggs and shake'n'bake chicken.

Dd#2 is a bit more exotic - she'll eat sour pickles and hummus, and also eats some veggies. However, she also avoids sauce (except for ketchup), and can't have one food touch another.

Ds eats decently, but also likes his food fairly plain. He makes faces and spits out anything that's too spicy or flavoured, or that contains fish.

I don't like things as hot as dh, but do like to cook with a lot of flavour and spice - I make Indian and Thai food, and Italian/mediterrean style food with tons of balsamic vinegar and basil. I always use tons of garlic. My parents won't come near my house if I've been cooking curry.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 10:26 am
JRK - I made this delicious thai soup from martha stuart that my oldest dd wanted ... nobody liked it but her ... but I could tell it came out delish for what it was supposed to be ... too bad a lot of it went to waste ... she wouldn't eat it from the freezer

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 7:41 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

I once heard a story about a man on a job interview with a large Fortune 500 company. IMB, if I remember correctly.

It was working out well and they went to lunch to seal the deal. the interviewee put salt on his food without even tasting it first - and the man refused to hire him. Said that shows poor judgement, how do you know what it needs without even tasting it first? and didn't want that in the company.

your story is interesting but I'm not sure why you told it
I'm sure you don't want to tell the OP that her husband has poor judgement because he puts ketchup on everthing.....................

.....(UH OH EstiS is at it again.... Twisted Evil )

shanie5

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 11:04 pm
Ima'la wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

I don't know, Shanie - sounds like it could cause serious shaylas! Wink

nah, only if the ketchup is dried. wet will wash right off in the water!! Wink
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen