Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
2 bottles of ketchup
1  2  Next

Do u have 2 bottles of ketchup?
Yes  
 20%  [ 22 ]
No  
 79%  [ 86 ]
Total Votes : 108

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:12 am
Do you have 2 bottles of ketchup for milchig and fleishig? We always did and now the OU came out with a video you can use the same ketchup for both.
I feel like my kids touch the ketchup to the hotdog and the milchig ketchup touches the hot cheesy macaroni. I’m still continuing with 2 ketchups because I have little kids. If it was just me and dh we could be careful and use the same ketchup for both.
Also I pour the fleishig ketchup into the hot chulent and feel like the steam from the chulent goes into the top
Also sometimes the top of the chulent that hangs off touches food that’s hot
What do you think? One or 2 ketchups?

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:15 am
I have one bottle but we mostly just eat it as a dip so my kids squirt it on the plate next to the food. Not directly on anything.

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:25 am
My kids are young enough that I still distribute the ketchup. Once they're old enough to handle it themselves I may have to switch to 2 bottles

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:26 am
The ou actually address your question elsewhere. https://oukosher.org/halacha-y.....meat/

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:34 am
I never thought of using 2 bottle. OP do you have 2 sets of spices?

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:40 am
Isn't being concerned about steam a little excessive?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:45 am
amother Pearl wrote:

My kids don’t touch the spices. Just the salt on shabbos which is fleishig goes on their challah
But ketchup they touch to their food so I’m keeping 2 bottles

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:46 am
amother Coral wrote:
Isn't being concerned about steam a little excessive?

Hot steam specifically is an issue in kashrus because it causes something to absorb the taste of the food because it is both wet and hot, so of all the concerns mentioned by op that is the most concerning.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:50 am
We always use one. We squirt it onto the plate and then back into the fridge it goes.

Same with one salt shaker.

When we use a salt holder on the other hand, anything left in the condiment bowl gets thrown out after the meal.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:54 am
One. We seldom use it, usually though not always for fleishik, and kids don't get to dish it out till they're old enough not to touch it to the food. You want two bottles, gezunte heit, but it's really not necessary.
The problem I see with people doing this is that, like anything "extra," people start to think that this is halachah and next thing you know there's another reason for people to distrust each other's Kashrut.

amother
Apple

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 11:55 am
My parents always had 2. I have 1 bec I'm still serving it. Parents probably have 1 by now. I gotta ask them.

They also have 2 sets of spices mainly bec the kitchen is large and it was annoying to run back and forth. I only have 1 but I totally see why I need 2.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 12:08 pm
Not growing up and not now.

Genius

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 12:25 pm
I have two ketchup and two sets of spices. It’s more convenient for me to not have to worry about steam, which is a legitimate issue.
It’s also more convenient to just have everything within reach. I don’t need to pick up the spices from a cabinet at the other side.
I don’t distrust anyone’s kashrus if they only have one. It’s really not that hard to be careful about it.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 12:29 pm
The spices that I sprinkle directly into a pot or into a hot steaming pan I keep separate. Most of my spices I don’t do that with. One ketchup.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 12:46 pm
I’m pretty sure steam is only an issue when there’s something sharp involved like spices, garlic or onion.

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 12:49 pm
I have 1 ketchup bc we make sure not to put it over hot steamy foods. I add ketchup to the cholent before I turn on the heat.

My kids don't use it themselves until they are old enough to be careful. I have one set of spices also bc I never add over hot steamy foods.

The only difference is salt, because people (especially guests) tend to shake it right over hot steamy foods.

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 12:51 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
I’m pretty sure steam is only an issue when there’s something sharp involved like spices, garlic or onion.

No, steam in general is what causes anything to absorb taam/taste. Charity transferring taste can happen without heat but that's another issue.

amother
Mayflower

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 12:52 pm
amother Pearl wrote:

For whatever reason I was told to have separate salt shaker for meat and for dairy, but other spices not an issue. I don't know why. Maybe salt is more absorbing of the steam? Even so, I do try to be very careful and dispense seasoning into my hand and then into the pot.

Oh, and yes. Two ketchups because my kids.

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 12:54 pm
amother Pearl wrote:

I've heard some people do esp for salt and pepper.. bcz the steam from the pot can go into the spice

mommyhood

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 1:00 pm
Salt we always have separate. It stays on the table the whole meal and people pour it right over the soup. We don’t have separate ketchup bottles. I pour for the little kids and the bigger ones know to be careful. We’re not big ketchup eaters though maybe if we were I would reconsider.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen