Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
2 bottles of ketchup
Previous  1  2

Do u have 2 bottles of ketchup?
Yes  
 20%  [ 22 ]
No  
 79%  [ 86 ]
Total Votes : 108

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 1:17 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
I never thought of using 2 bottle. OP do you have 2 sets of spices?

Halachically if you pour directly over hot milchig or fleishig items with steam you need to. For that reason, I always pour spices in my hands before putting into the food

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 1:17 pm
I always wondered regarding spices if I'm doing it wrong. I have only one of each spice and the steam from the pot goes in it. That's an issue right?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 1:29 pm
We have two ketchups and two sets of spices (and a small kitchen)

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 1:42 pm
Its so interesting for me to see that there is a discussion about The ketchup bottles here.. always argued with my dh about it..I grew up with 2 bottles and was just so used to it, I couldn't get used to the fact the dh said its not necessary to have 2. I used one for a period of time but since it annoyed me I now get 2. I feel like it touches the pizza when we eat milchiG and when my kids are pouring themselves from the ketchup by a fleisheg meal it c3an touch the chicken in the plate.. whatever, guess its debatable

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 2:57 pm
2 growing up, one now.
I don't cook with ketchup ever and the few of my kids who like it aren't having yad soledes bo food when they're using it.

Golde

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 3:32 pm
One, and this is something I have never even thought about!

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 3:35 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
I always wondered regarding spices if I'm doing it wrong. I have only one of each spice and the steam from the pot goes in it. That's an issue right?

That's what I learned, that it's a problem. I pour the spices into a dish and pour from there.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 3:37 pm
One of everything except salt. We don't add spices to steaming hot meat or dairy, only to hot pareve -- which we cook with pareve pans and utensils. Meat and dairy, we spice while cold, then cook.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 5:21 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
I’m pretty sure steam is only an issue when there’s something sharp involved like spices, garlic or onion.

My ketchup bottle lists vinegar, spice, onion powder. Plus it gets poured on top of spiced foods. (Though maybe cooked sharp foods are different than raw.)

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 07 2023, 5:31 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
I always pour spices in my hands before putting into the food
IDK why this isn't SOP for everyone. Even if you're not kosher, shaking spices over a steaming pot is asking for trouble. Aside from the fact that you don't have good control over the volume of spices you add, you're asking for clumping at best and spoilage at worst.

And if the shaker top gets loose without your realizing... Which is why even if the food is ice cold you should measure the seasonings out first in your hands or a bowl.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sat, Jul 08 2023, 5:42 pm
We had two growing up and I just have one but that's not good.
When I went to my parents last I saw they had two kettles, anyone know about that?
(I know I could just ask, probably my sister in seminary learnt something and decided to implement)

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jul 08 2023, 5:50 pm
One, but we don't really have ketchup with milchig foods. If we did, I would probably use two.

Here in Israel you have pizza dipping sauce, so we never have ketchup with pizza.

Also, I'm really the only one who likes ketchup anyway...

amother
Yolk

Post Sat, Jul 08 2023, 5:50 pm
I put some into a bowl when we're having burgers or French fries so it doesn't touch the food directly.
As for spices I try to pour it into my hand and then into the pot.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Jul 08 2023, 6:03 pm
Were not big ketchup people.

We only use it for fries, burgers, and hotdogs. Never dairy.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sat, Jul 08 2023, 6:21 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
I never thought of using 2 bottle. OP do you have 2 sets of spices?

That is actually recommended as you pour over hot pots and the steam can make them fleighigs...or milchigs.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sat, Jul 08 2023, 10:05 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
I’m pretty sure steam is only an issue when there’s something sharp involved like spices, garlic or onion.

Not correct. Hot steam is an issue in and of itself. Hot steam can cause flavor to be absorbed and has an effect on dairy or meat status of food. Sharp foods like fresh garlic, fresh onion and similar are an entirely different kashrus issue.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen