Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you use separate stovetops for milichig and fleishig?
1  2  3  4  Next

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:14 pm
Question

baskrox

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:16 pm
No. There's no need to, but if food drops onto it, I throw it away.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:25 pm
What? Who has 2 stovetops? Maybe a fairly affluent person who has recently redone their kitchen and put on 2 stoves, but otherwise I've never seen it.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:25 pm
Nope

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:26 pm
superdanni wrote:
What? Who has 2 stovetops? Maybe a fairly affluent person who has recently redone their kitchen and put on 2 stoves, but otherwise I've never seen it.

I've been to plenty of houses with 2 (ovens)/stoves

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:34 pm
superdanni wrote:

This woman came to my house yesterday and she asked me what I use my stove for because she thought it has to be separate. I wanted to see what others say. I think she's a bt and she became with chabad because she said her kids used to go to chabad. Now they're not in a chabad school, but I don't know what they consider themselves.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:53 pm
Many people have 2 seperate stove tops for milchig and fleishig. You need to have a lot of counter space for that. I throw away any food that goes onto the stove.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:55 pm
My rav explained that the burners themselves (at least with a gas stove) are constantly kashering themselves. The spaces around and in between them is treif though.

mirror

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 12:59 pm
Yes, but I have only one stovetop = 4 burners.

I have two burners designated for meat and two designated for dairy. I don't need more than two at a time anyway.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 1:07 pm
I do space planning and kitchen layout, and have designed many 2-stove kitchens — including my own Very Happy . If you have a lot of space, it definitely has advantages, but it's not essential.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 1:15 pm
I saw something very clever recently. This only works in a largeish kitchen with lots of counters. On one part of the kitchen was a standard oven with range on top.

On the other side of the kitchen there were two burners imbedded in the counter. The flat glass type. You get the convienince of both without taking up as much space.

ElTam

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 2:01 pm
No. I do have a toaster oven that I use for milchigs, so my oven is only for fleishigs.

As a rav I know once observed, "Reb Moshe Feinstein had one sink and one oven, and I'm sure his house was kosher."

amother

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 2:14 pm
Some ravs don't allow one you to have one. Mine doesn't.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 2:14 pm
Pineapple wrote:
I've been to plenty of houses with 2 (ovens)/stoves

It's certainly possible that you live in an area where people have bigger kitchens than I do. It's not something I remember anyone having when I was growing up and it's still something I see pretty infrequently.

sky

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 3:08 pm
no.

My mother uses two of her burners for milchig only and two for fleishig on the same stove top. I was told it is 'praisworthy' but not required.

Anything that falls on the stovetop is garbage and I wipe up any spills.

I have a microwave\vent immediately above my stove. I was told because steam hits the vent and then may fall back down into the pot I should only use one type on my back burners. So I only use fleishig pots on my back burners, but the front ones are up for grabs.

My4Jewels

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 5:25 pm
to the amother who's rav doesnt allow just one..is your rav financing your kitchen remodel? not sure how any rabbi can dictate that you have 2 ovens, and separate counter tops seeing as many small kitchens only have one counter.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 5:39 pm
My4Jewels wrote:
to the amother who's rav doesnt allow just one..is your rav financing your kitchen remodel? not sure how any rabbi can dictate that you have 2 ovens, and separate counter tops seeing as many small kitchens only have one counter.

I was gonna ask the same question!

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 5:57 pm
a lot of people I know have two. anyone with a decent sized kitchen (ie a house) My sister has a 2 burner built in stove for milchig and a much bigger stove for meat.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 6:21 pm
I grew up with one sink, one stove top, one oven and one fridge.

I think this is more than Rebbetzen Kanievsky, who managed to feed half her neighbourhood and keep her tiny kitchen kosher.

Expectations only grow with each new chumra.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 7:32 pm
I phrased the question if you separate as opposed to have because I know if I had the space I would want two whole ovens. This woman does not have the space. She said her apartment is smaller than mine and mine isn't so big. I told her what we do, but do you think I should tell her to find out or she probably did already?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen