Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Driver's License Pic?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:38 pm
When you go to get a driver's license picture taken, (at least in the US) they make you show 3 inches of hair in front. What do you do if you are makpid not to show a single strand and:

Shave your hair
Only wear scarves
They figure out you're wearing a sheitel

???

I don't drive, but when I had to get a state ID I had a lady tell me that she "could spot a wig a mile away", and we got into a huge argument about it. I had to make a really big fuss before she gave in, but she nearly threw the card in my face.

A quick Google search shows that many women with alopecia or hair loss due to chemo are also harassed on a regular basis, often being told to come back and redo the photo "as soon as you're not sick".

I got lucky with the passport office, that they didn't question my sheitel. The thing is, I've moved to wearing scarves more and more lately, and wondering how that will work out. Scarves are so much easier to maintain, and don't give me migraines (not to mention cheaper and come in really fun colors).

Meanwhile, Muslims seem to be getting a free pass, varying from state to state. Rolling Eyes

finprof

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:46 pm
I don't know where you got your info but I had no problem wearing a tichel for my Illinois license photo. I generally wear it where it just shows my hairline so that may have been a factor but it was less than half an inch for sure and no one said anything.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:49 pm
maybe they changed it since I got my license in NY or maybe its just different in seattle, but I wore a tichel for my picture and no one said anything to me. I always wear tichels so I figured putting on a sheitel for the picture was kind of silly....

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:51 pm
I wore a sheitel and had no problem.

real

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 9:59 pm
I just went to renew my license and had to take a new pic. My sheitel was falling back a little but I didn't want to fix it because I was scared they would ask me to take it off or make me come back. So I left it, The pic is not great but at least I didn't have to come back. My last license picture I was wearing a baseball cap. They told me I had to take it off but I fought it really hard(because I was wearing a hat fall with only the mesh part on top) They allowed me to take the picture with the brim up. When I went to renew now, they were surprised I was able to take any picture with my hat. it seems they keep changing the laws. Now you can't even smile for your picture, It has to look like a prison photo.

Chloe22

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 10:02 pm
I aso wore a sheitel and had no problem. I renewed my license in lower Manhattan.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 10:11 pm
Maybe the east coast people have better informed clerks. OOT I think it's different. Not only do the rules vary from state to state, it can depend on how power hungry the clerk is feeling that day. The one I dealt with was definitely Queen of the DMV that day. Rolling Eyes

morah

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 10:17 pm
I wear only tichels, cover everything, had no problem with my licence (NY), nor my US passport, nor (amazingly) my EU passport.

rivkahb

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 10:19 pm
I just got my drivers permit, I wore a wig and nobody told me anything,the guy even offered to let me take another pic.

I took it in brooklyn.
allso all my ID pics is with wigs, the only thing I was ask for is to show my ears.

about the migraines- no wig should give u that, go to your wig lady and tell her that. and she should help u fix that.

I highly recommend Ester Haron wigs- they r so comfy that I could walk with them all day.
(and I am very picky with wigs)

good luck!

Debbig

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 10:21 pm
I never heard anyone having this problem. I had no issue in the Lakewood mvc. Nor did my mother or sisters.

sys

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 10:23 pm
Never heard of this. I wore a wig in every id picture I took. What the issue even be?

little_mage

Post Fri, Aug 15 2014, 10:05 am
I just got a new picture in PA, and I only wear tichels. While I'm not super makpid about covering every single strand of hair, I try not to have more then about half an inch showing. It has never been a problem for me. I remember looking, and at least here, I think the rule is that it has to be something you're doing regularly. So I always wear a tichel, I can wear one in my picture. If I just chose to wear a hat that day, because it went with my outfit or something, they want it off. They also (reasonably) want to be able to see your face, so they don't like hats with brims. Honestly, I think the woman who argued with you was wrong, and you should probably find a way to report her. Also, although I know you're making alyiah soon, if you have to go for another picture at some point, maybe see if there's a different DMV that's known to be less difficult about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels