Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Detroit
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 1:26 pm
There is a good possibility that we will be moving to Oak Park in March (yes, it is for a job). The only problem is that being homeless doesn't really appeal to me Wink We have spoken with a real estate agent who told us that he has NOTHING to show us and even rentals are hard to come by. He told us that Oak Park road is to far out of the community and anything above Lincoln St is also to far out. Is this true? Are there NO frum families that live in these areas? I don't need something huge I just need something! Is being a block or two out of the main area really terrible? I appreciate your help as I have never been to Detroit (my DH has been a bunch of times at this point). Thanks!

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 1:58 pm
Houses here are hard to come by. I know people who bought a little out of the community and regret it because they were hoping people will start buying out and no one wants to. Would you consider southfield? There are some houses available there, and it's not so far from oak park.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 2:24 pm
Op here-Thank you for responding. So Oak Park Rd is really out of the community? How far away is it from where people live? Is it still a safe area?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 2:24 pm
OP again-Will we be able to find a place to buy or rent at all?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 2:28 pm
Does it have to be oak park? You'll probably be able to find something easier in Southfield.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 2:32 pm
It's pretty far out, I wouldn't reccomend living there.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 2:35 pm
I know of a rental or 2 available but not so nice. There are a few apartment complexes if you want an apt.
Otherwise there aren't really houses that come up too often.
Not sure what you mean by Oak Park Rd. There's an Oak Park Blvd but that's not where you want to live.
Can you tell us a bit about yourself? Then we can get a better idea of what area to suggest for you.

nyer1

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 2:46 pm
definitely look into southfield. there are two southfield communities.. one is adjacent to oak park and one isn't. it sounds like u would fit into oak park adjacent to southfield

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 3:09 pm
My DH thinks we wouldn't fit in as well in Southfield. We are pretty yeshivish ourselves but are open minded in terms of being non judgemental/friends with people who do not see things the same way as we do. I am pretty sure we will be sending our kids to Beis Yehuda. We have 5 children so I am not sure an apartment would work so well for us. Plus I was hoping to find some place relatively permanent as I am already uprooting my whole family for this move. What areas in Southfield should I be looking into?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 4:04 pm
South of 10 Mile has become a very popular, yeshivish area. I don't if/what anything is available there. Have you heard of ANY options? I do know of a house in South Oak Park that will be available for rent around Pesach time.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 5:06 pm
I disagree with your realtor about Lincoln.

There are many, many frum families that live north of Lincoln Blvd in Oak Park, it's one of the main frum areas (sometimes referred to as the "kolel area").

I agree about Oak Park Blvd., that is not a frum area.

I know many yeshivish people are buying houses in Southfield south of 10 mile (I know of several Darchei Torah families).

Hopefully you'll be able to find something. Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 11:34 am
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of Yeshivish people in Southfield, however generally speaking Oak Park is more Yeshivish. I would stick to OP if I were you.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 1:04 pm
In Oak Park there are several areas that are part of the frum comm.
1. South of 10 mile (but not so far south as oak park blvd - that's out)
2. central oak park - in between 10 mile and lincoln (and between greenfield and coolidge)
3. north oak park - north of lincoln (this area is mainly closer to greenfield

shmaichul

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 2:24 pm
Oak Park and the close Southfield is pretty much one community.
Are you looking to rent or to buy?

shmaichul

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 2:26 pm
Feel free to pm me with any specific questions. (I lived in Oak Park for a few years and bought a home last year in Southfield.)

amother

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 6:59 pm
Oak Park Blvd no, but people are renting - safely - as far S as Northfield.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:58 pm
I know of 2 houses for sale in Southfield and the block is very frum all the kids on the block go to either beis yehudah or darchei with a mix of working and kollel: rebbeim. One of them I just saw posted in the community links

kkids

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 9:04 pm
pm me I am looking to sell in op

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 10:23 pm
Gonna chime in and say totally not true that there is no frum community north of Lincoln. The few blocks close to Greenfield (Harding, Raine, Stratford, Radclift, Marlowe) are EXTREMELY frum.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 10:24 pm
kkids wrote:
pm me I am looking to sell in op

Still available? N OP or S OP?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating