Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Chidren and the aseres hadibros
1  2  Next

miriamnechama

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:03 am
I was told tha tchildren have tyo hear the aseres hadibros, if they don'tr sit still in shul do they have to hear it or not?? from what age is it a chiyuv and what age is it chinuch??

Last edited by miriamnechama on Mon, May 21 2007, 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Motek

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:07 am
please see the thread on this topic in this section Smile

miriamnechama

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:09 am
what do you mean??

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:10 am
I have never heard of such a halacha. Where did you hear it? Maybe it's someone's minhag?

AFAIK it's no different from any other krias haTorah which men are obligated to hear every Shabbos/ Yom tov. (And presumably boys should gradually have chinuch to do so).

Motek

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:15 am
As far as you know? Being disingenuous? You learned all about it two years ago, on this forum ...

miriamnechama- you are now in the Shavuos section, take a look at the the other discussions in this section and you will find the thread

mummy-bh

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:20 am
miriamnechama wrote:
if they don'tr sit still in shul do they have to hear it or not?? ??

Bribary is everything!!!

Produce a lollipop from inside your pocket just as everyone is standing up for aseres hadibros, and voila! one silent child!!!

sarahd

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:23 am
Motek wrote:
As far as you know? Being disingenuous? You learned all about it two years ago, on this forum ...

Give shalhevet a break, Very Happy She wasn't on this board two years ago.

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:24 am
Motek wrote:

Huh? Motek, what are you talking about? And I didn't even own a computer two years ago.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:26 am
Not all children can be quiet or still even with a lollipop!

red sea

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:31 am
AFAIK, Shalhevet is right, it must be a minhag not applicable to some groups of us. I know this is not the only shavuos difference, once we davened at a shul that followed lubav. minhagim on shavuos and they did not read megilas rus, we were shock and we asked and told it was a different minhag too. you live & learn.

Actually, there are even more different minhagim than that for shavuos.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:37 am
The point is to re-enact the moment of Mattan Torah, where all Bnei Yisrael stood, in complete Achdus and complete submission to HKBH, accepting His Torah, with the precedence of NaasehtoNishma.

The Lubavitcher Rebbe urges that all Jews, Anashim, Noshim V'Taf, men women and children equally should attend the reading of Aseres HaDibros. Just as at the original Matan Torah, not one Jew was missing, even all the neshomos of all Jews for all generations were there.

As it says in the Megillah, Hayomim Haelu nizkorim V'naasim, "these days are remembered and (re-)enacted".

Each YomTov not only commemorates the original YomTov, for example Pesach, yetzias Mitzrayim, Shavuos, Mattan Torah, but in fact the inyan of that YomTov reoccurs:

There is a G-dly revelation that comes down to this world that is even more powerful than the revelations of all preceding years! So that Mattan Torah, in each subsequent year brings more and more G-dly revelation, as we experience Mattan Torah more profoundly each year!

The main event of Shavuos is of course the Kabbolas HaTorah, and it is this we strive to experience by attending and listening to the Aseres HaDibros in our entirety as a people, just like the original sixth of Sivan.

As far as it being a specifically Lubavitch minhag, no it is not a minhag chabad perse, unlike the example brought about Megillas Rus, which IS a minhag chabad (not to read publicly).

On the contrary, it's something that the Rebbe asked of all Jews, because it is something common to all Jews; Of course Aseres Hadibros is read in EVERY shul, so of course this is something that all Jews can do--

that is as long as they would want to accomplish and be part of this beautiful thing; it's anyone's personal perogative whether to heed the Rebbe's call

(If the Rebbe was interested to make everyone do minhagei chabad like chabadniks, it would be a different sort of campaign. focusing on a minhag specifically chabad, don't you think?)

Last edited by TzenaRena on Mon, May 21 2007, 9:22 am; edited 3 times in total

miriamnechama

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:51 am
right my father in law insist on that but it doesn't help because they run out of the shul all the time they they don't even hear the aseres hadibros. it's not the same thing as for eg hearing the shofar on rosh hashana or megila on purim??

Motek

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 10:44 am
sarahd wrote:

Give shalhevet a break, Very Happy She wasn't on this board two years ago.

ah right, it was YOU who was going at it with tzena ... Wink

though I suspect shalhevet may have snuck a peak at the other thread when I revived it last week and posted in this thread accordingly

if that was not the case, I give her my blessings Smile

miriamnechama

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:11 am
I forgot to mention tha while everyone goes to the kotel including dh I'm stuck with the kids and seeing that I have to stay for yizkor ( I'm on motherless daughters forum) I don't have the energy to run after them and then I end up missing both!!! so in the meantime I try to go when they are asleep and then send then to a close shul alone later. I did tha on shvie shel pesach as well. or my older son will read it himself.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:19 am
miriam nechama, are you a Lubavitcher? If you are, I would think that despite the circumstances you mention, you should plan ahead and try to find a way to do what the Rebbe wants, and enlist your husbands support/help for that, especially if the Rebbe's horaos are dear to him. ( Even if you aren't, surely it would be a most appropriate thing to do, if you can work it out. Smile )

Did the Rebbe call this a "Bakasha Nafshis"? (Motek, do you know?)

Seraph

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:24 am
TzenaRena wrote:
miriam nechama, are you a Lubavitcher? If you are, I would think that despite the circumstances you mention, you should plan ahead and try to find a way to do what the Rebbe wants, and enlist your husbands support/help for that, especially if the Rebbe's horaos are dear to him. ( Even if you aren't, surely it would be a most appropriate thing to do, if you can work it out. Smile )

Did the Rebbe call this a "Bakasha Nafshis"? (Motek, do you know?)

Sorry, she's not lubab. She's breslov, like me. :-D Smile Very Happy

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:34 am
Motek wrote:

though I suspect shalhevet may have snuck a peak at the other thread when I revived it last week and posted in this thread accordingly

I guess you have decided that I am a rasha'it for whom it is a mitzva ladun l'chaf chova.

Quote:

if that was not the case, I give her my blessings Smile

Thank you, Motek. You know, you can address me directly. I'm not that much of a rasha'it. Wink

I better be careful. Soon I'm going to post in the recipes section to use tomatoes and zucchini in the same recipe, while not knowing it's a Lub minhag not to cook them together and you'll bash me and tell me that of course I read the thread three years ago on how Lub doesn't do such a thing........ Rolling Eyes Exploding anger

miriamnechama

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:35 am
haha great for breslav for sticking up for me!!!! you should just know when my dh goes to uman I defiunately plan ahead!!!! because he has to be in uman rosh hashana, rebbe nachman said so!!!!

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 12:02 pm
there is just so much a human being can do.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 12:08 pm
My dh wanted to go with a friend, but finally they didn't manage.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics