Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Step by step guide for getting a baby to nap

amother

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:27 am
Please, help me. I've been trying to get my 5 month old to nap for over 2 hours.... I must be doing something wrong... it sometimes takes 2 hours but never this long! I know he's tired and he's getting more and more tired. He does this nearly every day more or less

I fed him, changed him
Put him in his stroller
Turned out the lights
Gave him his paci
Rocked him
He kept rubbing his face and knocking out his paci, then crying
I kept rocking him
Tried lullaby music, singing, paci in/out, cuddly toy, blanket/no blanket/covering stroller
He looks exhausted
He's still crying
and I'm getting REALLY FRUSTRATED... I'm meant to be working...

chani8

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:59 am
I think you might need to invest in a baby swing. Just be sure to have a warm house and a well bundled baby because the swinging makes them cold.

I've never put my babies down for a nap in a stroller, however. Maybe he's not comfortable?

Or maybe something hurts him. Does he have a runny nose at all?

saboni

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 10:05 am
I found the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by dr. Marc Weissbluth to be very helpful. Main idea that helped: a baby needs 1-2 hours of being awake before nap time. So for example, baby wakes at 7, goes for a nap at 9:30, wakes at 11:30, is back for a nap at 1. It seems like a very short time to be up (totally not intuitive for me), but this turned out to be the key to getting my baby to sleep easily. After that window of time it becomes a struggle.
Good luck! I have more than a few kids and always found it difficult to get little ones to nap.

mandr

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 11:55 am
Agree with PP. Don't put your baby to sleep at the first sign of a yawn, but once you do see that first yawn, your baby shouldn't go to sleep more than half hour after that.

When does your baby wake up in the morning? At that age, my baby woke up around 8:30 or so and his first nap was at 10. Then he napped again at 1 something, and then he got a catnap in the car seat around 4-5ish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics