Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Separate seating

IM-MA

Post Wed, Jun 08 2005, 9:11 am
What do people do who hold by separate seating if they are invited to an affair-chassana, bar mitzva, melava malka,etc.-that has mixed seating? Should someone sit with their husband (since everyone else is), not attend, or try to find an all female table?

queen

Post Wed, Jun 08 2005, 9:23 am
Each case is independent on the circumstances, of which we were not made privy!

See to it that where you sit, it's husband-wife, wife-husband on your side and your husbands. Remember- nothing great is achieved by creating waves.

stem

Post Wed, Jun 08 2005, 11:16 am
I personally love mixed seating events because I get to sit next to my husband...

In our community there are mostly mixed seating affairs. The Rabbis and their wives all sit at one table together, but they don't sit next to their wives. Each husband sits across from his wife. Of course when it's a round table two couples end up being forced to sit next to each other shock

Motek

Post Wed, Jun 08 2005, 4:04 pm
I've been to a few mixed seating affairs and I sat with my husband. Why not?

When you visit someone and have a meal there with other couples, isn't that mixed seating?

the problem arises when it's a simcha and there's dancing, and there men all over

proudmom

Post Wed, Jun 08 2005, 4:27 pm
I went to a simcha and it was mix seating and I sat with my husband.

supermom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 3:19 pm
the ones that I went to that were mixed just for dancing they put up a mechitza.

IndyMom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 3:30 pm
I detest seperate seating when we drive 12 or so hours all the way into a simcha together. Either my husband doesn't knwo anyone he is sitting with or I don't know anyone I am sitting with. It is so boring! I much rather sit next to my hsuabnd at a table of his friends(or relatives) and their wives or my friends(or relatives) and their husbands.

Also, when we bring babies with us ( we had a newborn and 1 year old at one point) it is much easier to be next to eachother to share the responsibility of holding/changing/feeding them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions