Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Bachur Stabbed at 770 in Apparent Hate Crime
1  2  Next

June

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 3:26 am
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

for all those who say NYC is safer than Yerushalayim Crying

BH the Bachur is in stable condition

luckysunshine

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 3:59 am
Just read about this myself - horrible.

myself

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 4:00 am
Crying

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 4:05 am
Here we go again. A black man was killed by a cop (I'm assuming a white one). This time, though the guy was armed and had just stabbed a Jew. I wonder how many protests there will be about this one.

fmt4

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 4:06 am
I don't think the black guy was killed. And he was apparently homeless and out of his mind.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 4:17 am
Yeshiva World says he succumbed to his injuries at the hospital. And I don't think the world cares if he was homeless or not- the police can't just kill homeless people for no reason.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 4:47 am
the world's best mom wrote:
Here we go again. A black man was killed by a cop (I'm assuming a white one). This time, though the guy was armed and had just stabbed a Jew. I wonder how many protests there will be about this one.
He was mentally ill. Try not to start a discussion that dismisses valid feelings about the Eric Garner case. The two situations have nothing to do with each other. That just foments racism and has nothing to do with this tragic story at 770.

mominwb

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 4:56 am
I just watched a 3 minute clip the way the police are asking him to drop the weapon...he did put it down then few secs later picked it back up and started moving, that's when police became wild and shot him. He was a wise guy.

abound

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 5:27 am
According to a one article, a spokesman for Chabad said that it most likely was not a hate crime. It looks like he was mentally ill.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:43 am
Clarissa wrote:
He was mentally ill. Try not to start a discussion that dismisses valid feelings about the Eric Garner case. The two situations have nothing to do with each other. That just foments racism and has nothing to do with this tragic story at 770.

Maybe she was thinking about Ferguson. (Not totally tongue in cheek.)

Talya

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:46 am
the world's best mom wrote:

Sadly probably a lot. The cop in the video was white but it is unclear which cop shot him. There is a second cop that I think you can only see from the back unclear what color he is.

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:50 am
may hashem protect us all from harm.

ora_43

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 9:05 am
mominwb wrote:
I just watched a 3 minute clip the way the police are asking him to drop the weapon...he did put it down then few secs later picked it back up and started moving, that's when police became wild and shot him. He was a wise guy.

I saw the clip, too. The guy at the beginning saying "don't shoot, he wants to live" - that was just so, so sad.

I think that because it's all on tape, it probably won't be hugely controversial. It's clear from the tape that the cops gave him plenty of time to drop the knife, and only shot when he kept moving toward them.

ora_43

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 9:06 am
abound wrote:
According to a one article, a spokesman for Chabad said that it most likely was not a hate crime. It looks like he was mentally ill.

Mentally ill and hate crime aren't mutually exclusive. The guy who murdered the Arab teen (abu-Khdeir) in Israel was mentally ill, but it was still a hate crime.

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 3:43 am
http://nypost.com/2014/12/09/s.....sons/

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 4:02 am
From this article:
rainbow dash wrote:
http://nypost.com/2014/12/09/synagogue-attacker-was-dad-who-played-soccer-with-sons/
"His heartbroken family blasted the officer who killed him on Tuesday afternoon, saying there had to be another option.
“We want to know why the officer had to kill him. There was a moment where Calvin put down the knife and moved away from it. The officer holstered his weapon and turned around. He hesitated!” Peters said.
“He should have just rushed Calvin while he was unarmed and cuffed him or taken him down. Or even then, he could have just tasered him. The officer was so close to my brother at that point, he could have done anything he wanted. He could have shot him in the leg 10 times if he needed to. Why did he have to aim for the heart?” he said.
Distraught, he added, “I know what he did was wrong. It was horrible. But there had to be a better way — aside from taking his life.”"

So I was right. They are blaming the cop.

this guy had been arrested 19 times, for larceny, burglary, using a stolen credit card and drug possession. His family claims it was only for drug use. And of course, this event was only because he went off his meds- but what happened all the 19 other times? Did he take his drugs ever? Why did he stop?

PAMOM

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 4:11 am
The "they" here is his family. Can you blame them? I haven't seen anything anywhere else saying the police officers had a better option.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:15 am
The Post says he was a soccer dad and everyone else reported him homeless.

Which one was it? Not that it makes any difference. What he did was dead wrong regardless where he lived or didn't and it is nobody's fault that he wasn't on his meds.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:57 am
If the bocher would have been armed and shot in self-defense, would anyone be criticizing that?

The police, however, are supposed to be trained so it would seem that they could shoot the person in the leg for example so that he could be safely restrained.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 7:14 am
southernbubby wrote:
If the bocher would have been armed and shot in self-defense, would anyone be criticizing that?

The police, however, are supposed to be trained so it would seem that they could shoot the person in the leg for example so that he could be safely restrained.

Police are not trained to shoot at legs. They are taught to aim for the chest. It is a fact of life. If you don't want to be shot, don't charge at cops while holding a knife.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics