Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Is there hope for my Kindle? (got wet, display not working)

goodmorning

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:39 pm
I got caught in a terrible rainstorm this week, and apparently my bag has a leak, because when I took out my Kindle, the display was not working. About 30% of the screen shows the menu or the book or the screen saver but the other 70% has gone fuzzily white.

The device itself seems to be perfectly fine; I can navigate through the menu, select books, etc.

I turned it off immediately and placed it in a bag of rice near a heater but I don't think it helped at all. As far as I can tell, the Kindle is totally dry by now, but the display is still malfunctioning.

Amazon no longer produces this sort of Kindle (it's the e-reader with a keyboard, not a touchscreen) and I don't know where to get a replacement screen.

Any ideas?

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:51 pm
submerge the entire kindle in white rice for a week. It should pull out all the moisture.

the entire thing should be covered in rice. don't skimp.

when you are done, the rice should be thrown out.

the best way is use a plastic storage bag.

goodmorning

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 12:53 pm
It's in a Ziplock bag 3/4 full with rice (to be honest, it is brown par-cooked rice [sort of like Minute] because that's what I had -- does it matter?).

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:00 pm
I only said white because that is what I have always used and that is what worked.

I am sure brown is fine too.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:00 pm
I've done this with electronic keys and a couple of cell phones and all of them worked perfectly after a few days in rice.

doctorima

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:10 pm
Take out the battery (if you can) and any other removable parts and leave them all in the zip-loc bag with rice. Wait 5 days patiently. Even if it looks dry, there can still be moisture inside that can short-circuit and destroy everything. Hopefully everything will dry out and be good as new.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics