Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tznius and outdoor/field work

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:29 pm
In order to get more involved in interesting projects at work, I will have to do some field work occasionally - - walking along stream banks and through wetlands areas, climbing through brush, etc. And maybe even diving some manholes. (Sounds fun, doesn't it? Wink )

I'm trying to figure out how to do all this while wearing a skirt, and probably a sheitel. I'm looking for tips and advice!! TIA

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:46 pm
Wear loose pants underneath.

Sounds like a fun job!

iluvy

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:07 pm
and a beanie over your sheitel -- if you really must wear one. (manhole diving?? tell us more!)

Kugglegirl

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:49 pm
What are others wearing in the field? I would think you could wear a bandana-scarf & tuck your hair under & put the shaitl back on when you clean up, where ever that will be. Probably others wear some kind of hat on these adventures as well.

I use to teach canoeing, up to my waist, sometimes in the water, in a skirt. You can do all that you mention in a skirt. Just act like it's no problem & it won't be.

Pick a skirt that is tough material, like denim or duck (the fabric chinos are made from- think kacki green) & cut wide.

Make sure you have the right shoes or boots.

Have fun.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:24 am
When I did this, I wore one of those Junee skirts. They make short and flairy ones. Then, I put leggings and big socks. I put the giant boots on top of those. I wasn't married at the time, so I can't answer any sheitel questions! But, I wore my hair in a pony.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:35 am
double post

Last edited by DrMom on Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:36 am
Do they make skirts out of quick- drying ripstop nylon? Or can you wear a modest swimdress (skirt + leggings)?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:43 am
Well, a little off topic, thought you might find my situation interesting & a little similar. I have an office based job, so no problem normally wearing skirts.

But occationally I do have to wear pants (jeans), steel toed boats and a hard hat (yep I have my own hard hat now!) due to safety laws because I work in a shipyard where they do maintenance/repairs and upgrades on navy ships.

I now just keep a pair of jeans at work for the occational times I need them. I still wear my sheitel, just put the hard hat on top. And I just try to wear a longer style shirt when I wear jean pants.

It's funny, because I work with non Jewish people, the few times I have worn pants it's normal for them. But it still feels so weird to me. Also, the people I work with have no idea I cover my hair. I'd love to wear a scarf or hat everyday to work, but wouldn't be professional for my job role.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 3:13 am
Besides the manhole, the rest is like going hiking. Wear a loose skirt, not lycra, it'll rip and get caught on things. Denim or khaki. Leggings rosemary with hiking boots. I have never had a problem climbing over brush, fallen trees mud peddles and such in a skirt.
For the manholes, maybe lycra like a short junee would be okay. If you always wear a sheitel, get a synthetic for these excursions. Keep it with the rest of your costumes.
(My father has to go to sites so he has a box in his office with a hard hat, tall rubber boots,(ugly) jacket and tie, reflective vest, gloves and probably a comb in his desk drawer)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 3:36 am
I own one pair of jeans, that I wear under skirts for when I'm whacking back the blackberry brambles that keep trying to overtake my yard. Blackberry thorns rip right through leggings!

If your sheitel is long enough, keep a scrunchy handy to make a pony tail, or wear one short enough that it won't get caught up in branches. Wear a wig grip underneath so it won't get pulled off accidentally. I've had a tree try to take my sheitel off more than once! You won't look very professional if a branch is wearing your wig. shock

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 2:38 pm
I learned my mistake of wearing skirts very quickly on my first visit to a refinery tower.
Let's just say it was a far less glam version of Marilyn Monroe in Seven Years Itch. ..

In some settings trousers are far more tzniut than skirts.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 2:50 pm
I went hiking in a knee length tee dress and leggings. It worked out fine. I did farm work a whole summer in a long heavy denim skirt and tee with a scarf tied around my head and neck with a baseball cap over it. I wore heavy duty cotton knee socks and leather sturdy ankle boots. The long skirt and socks were important so I didn't scratch my legs, the boots for safety on a tractor. I would absolutely not wear a shaitel for any of these things.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 3:52 pm
Doesn't denim get heavy when it gets wet? I would suggest a skirt short and flary thats made of a quick drying material.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:03 pm
Roomy sweatpants or jeans under your A-line skirt. No straight or pencil skirts. Ask your rav: if a skirt can be a hazard in and of itself in that it may catch on impediments or hamper your movement and cause you to trip and fall, you may be allowed to wear trousers without a skirt. In that case, your best bet would be a long tunic top that extends to mid-thigh.

dimyona

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:37 pm
These jobs sound like so much fun! Can any of you say what profession you work in?

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 12:30 pm
Thanks for all these great ideas!!

dimyona - I'm a civil engineer, I mostly study sanitary sewer systems, but I am trying to get more experience in floodplain analysis. For flood models, I have to go out and see first hand what the stream and surrounding areas are like. For wetland permitting, the same thing.

sequoia

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 3:04 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I learned my mistake of wearing skirts very quickly on my first visit to a refinery tower.
Let's just say it was a far less glam version of Marilyn Monroe in Seven Years Itch. ..

In some settings trousers are far more tzniut than skirts.

Exactly.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 5:16 pm
I worked as a facilities manager for a large University hospital. I had to climb narrow ladders, navigate steam tunnels and sewer lines. Ins. mandated appropriate dress for my job and reimbursed my cost. I choose tan baggy Carhart trousers with a matching Carhart jacket. In warmer weather I wore the same trousers with a tshirt and an overshirt. Indoors I wore a baggy jumpsuit over my skirts and tops. My work boots were kept in my locker since I never knew when I would have to put them on. I don't cover my hair but it was always more convenient for me to tuck it under a baseball cap or put a bandana on for under my hard hat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics