Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
EXCRUCIATING TOOTHACHE, but no money to take care of it

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 7:31 pm
I'm hoping there is someone out there that can help me.

I have been experiencing terrible toothaches for a while and it's starting to get worse and worse. My health insurance doesn't cover the procedure I need of about $600-$800 and I don't know what to do. We're going through a financial crisis right now and I can barely afford bread to feed my kids. I can't handle this pain anymore.

Are there any organizations? Or health advocates? or community services? I'm in NY.

Please help.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 7:38 pm
Refuah shelaima! Dental schools usually offer procedures for much lower costs. If you have a credit card you can use that if you literally don't have the money. Besides the pain, leaving a dental issue too long can cause further complications that would cost more in the long run, so please don't wait.

Clove oil oa supposed to help tooth pain- dab it on, or dilute and use as mouthwash.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 7:40 pm
floss & brush your teeth after eating anything ~ rinse with baking soda & peroxide or listerine as well ... keeping your mouth clean will kill the germs and ease the pain

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 7:42 pm
I second dental schools, the care there is excellent because it is all supervised.

If you can't find clove oil, just take a regular clove and put it between your gum and lip near the sore tooth.

twinkle

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 7:43 pm
you can often go to a clinic style place where there is a sliding fee scale. I know in monsey refuah halth center and my husband a few years back had multiple dental procedures done for like 35 dollars each we didnt have insurance didnt qualify for medicaid but qualified for their sliding fee scale. I dont know if there is such a ciinic near you or maybe its worth coming in depends how far you are? but if you decide to do that definitely ask clearly on the phone as poiicies possibly changed. refuah shleima

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 7:44 pm
amother wrote:

I have been experiencing terrible toothaches for a while and it's starting to get worse and worse. My health insurance doesn't cover the procedure I need of about $600-$800 and I don't know what to do. We're going through a financial crisis right now and I can barely afford bread to feed my kids. I can't handle this pain anymore.

Are there any organizations? Or health advocates? or community services? I'm in NY.

Please help.
Where in NY are you located?
I remember once donating to an organization that helped people with dental needs. I am in Brooklyn.
I googled, did not find the org I am referring to, but found some possible leads for you

http://gnshuls.webs.com/gemachs.htm
Dentist Gemach (Park Slope)
For an adult who cannot afford dentistry and would
like to use this dentist, call: 917-710-8708

http://www.hakhel.info/HakhelG.....3.pdf
Dentist Gemach (Park Slope)
Park Slope dentist offering his basic services to adults who cannot afford basic dentistry
Call: (347) 394-7113

http://www.freedentalcare.us/l.....arlem
http://www.freedentalcare.us/st/new_york

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:18 pm
I am currently using lutherin medical center, they have a clinic that accepts my insurance -united healthcare. I dont know what insurance you have. they are very good. it took a while to get an appointment tho. they also have a sliding scale fee. I was told. it might be cheap. but you need to call and ask. 718-630-6875 at 150 55th st. brooklyn ny sunset park family health center. hatzlacha, I also have excruciating pain and am dealing with them. I was told if I do get terrible pain to call and say I have emergency and I will be taken in much sooner. hope this helps

sayinghi

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:31 pm
Ezra medical center

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:38 pm
Try oil pulling, u can add one drop of clove oil if you want. Rinse with a capfull of peroxide (or peroxide/water solution). Also taking vitamin k2 it helps for teeth.
My dh has had extreme tooth pain and was told he needs a root canal, and he knew he has a root canal without a crown that was giving him pain and needed to be fixed. Because our insurance doesnt pay for it he still didnt do it. I read about oil pulling and convinced him to try it.
After 2weeks its not hurting all the time. He is still doing it but he feels its getting better.
Its cheaper and safer than any medical treatment. Its worth a try.
Refuah Shaleima!

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:41 pm
whats oil pulling? can you explain cause I have a tooth waiting for a root canal and its very painful. thank you!!!!

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:48 pm
sourstix wrote:
whats oil pulling? can you explain cause I have a tooth waiting for a root canal and its very painful. thank you!!!!

#1 you can google it 😃
Basically its swishing a spoonful of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes a day and then spit it out in the garbage.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:55 pm
amother wrote:

Please help.

ODA in Williamsburg might do it for much cheaper. Call them

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 11:25 pm
Laughing Bag! wrote:
Try oil pulling, u can add one drop of clove oil if you want. Rinse with a capfull of peroxide (or peroxide/water solution). Also taking vitamin k2 it helps for teeth.
My dh has had extreme tooth pain and was told he needs a root canal, and he knew he has a root canal without a crown that was giving him pain and needed to be fixed. Because our insurance doesnt pay for it he still didnt do it. I read about oil pulling and convinced him to try it.
After 2weeks its not hurting all the time. He is still doing it but he feels its getting better.
Its cheaper and safer than any medical treatment. Its worth a try.
Refuah Shaleima!

I needed a root canal and dealt with the pain, not the problem, because of close pregnancies. Well, guess what... eventually the pain went away but so did the tooth.

Don't neglect cavities because little problems become big ones.

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:17 pm
Oy vey, sorry you are in so much pain! Sad

Try the NYU Dental School Clinic:
http://dental.nyu.edu/patientcare.html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics