Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Delmonico ROAST - Marinate then broil?
1  2  Next

debsey

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 12:46 pm
I remember there was a recipe somewhere - maybe family first - for a 3 lb Delmonico Roast that you were supposed to marinate and then broil - does anyone have a recipe like that?

Thanks in advance
Debsey

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 3:41 pm
never heard of this type of roast ... I imagine every piece of meat can be marinated in basic spices and then broiled

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 3:48 pm
A Delmonico roast is a boneless prime rib roast. It certainly doesn't need marinating to tenderize it. You could cut it into single rib eye steaks and broil them, or roast it whole in the oven as you would a prime rib.

overthehill

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 4:36 pm
can anyone post a good recipe for this meat? I've never made a delmonico roast before. Ty!

momX4

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 4:56 pm
overthehill wrote:
can anyone post a good recipe for this meat? I've never made a delmonico roast before. Ty!

This is simple and yummy.

Brown meat on stove and place in a 9X13
saute onion and garlic, place around meat
season with spices, wine (sweetish, whatever is in the fridge) and chicken soup (or water) I dont have measurements, but I do about 1/2 cup each. The liquid should be less than half up the pan.

cover

Bake 300 for 3 hours. Cool before slicing. The meat will finish cooking when you reheat.

chayamiriam

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 4:56 pm
Need one too: I have this roast don't know what to do with it??

glamourmom

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 9:43 am
I want to make this. can someone tell me if broil is better or slow baking. I usually make meat on low temp like 300 for long time. this way it gets tender. will broiling just cook the outside and give me a rare inside?

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 9:48 am
Here you go.
From BY Cookbook, page 111
1/2 C Honey
1/2 C soy sauce
1/4 C vegetable or canola oil
1/4-1/2 tsp dried ginger (don't skip it - I find it really adds a lot)
1/2-1 TBSP dry mustard powder
6 cloves garlic, crushed.

1 5 lb Delmonico or French Roast

1) Wisk honey, soy sauce, ginger, dry mustard and garlic in medium bowl.
2) place marinade and meat into gallon size resealable plastic bag. Squeeze out air
3) Marinate in refrigerator, 8 hours to overnight.
4) Place on oven rack, on lowest level. Turn oven to broil. Place meat and marinade in a 13x9x12 inch baking dish
5) Broil meat for about 40 minutes, turning roast about every 10 minutes and then start checking for doneness by sticking fork into meat. If juices run red, it is too rare. If juices run red with some fat, it is medium rare. If juices run brown, it is well-done.
6) When at desired level of doneness, remove meat from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
7) When cool, slice against the grain.

This is the recipe from the BY cookbook. In general, I find the marinate, then broil, technique is the best for Delmonico roast. The broiling seals in the juices, and it's beyond awesome.

glamourmom

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 9:53 am
Thanks Debsey. so nice of you. this is the exact recipe I made from the BY book. Smile
they mention broiling which is what prompted my previous post. I never broil meat because we like it soft and tender. broiling roast for a short time makes me think it wont be cooked all the way.

did you ever make this?

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 11:21 am
glamourmom wrote:
Thanks Debsey. so nice of you. this is the exact recipe I made from the BY book. Smile
they mention broiling which is what prompted my previous post. I never broil meat because we like it soft and tender. broiling roast for a short time makes me think it wont be cooked all the way.

did you ever make this?

It's my most requested yom tov roast - I make it all the time. My kids love it.

glamourmom

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 11:46 am
debsey wrote:
It's my most requested yom tov roast - I make it all the time. My kids love it.

so do you broil or slow-bake?

giselle

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 11:51 am
Can you make this roast medium? Or is it more like a brisket?

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 12:24 pm
glamourmom wrote:
so do you broil or slow-bake?

Broil, like the recipe says. On the lowest rack. It's really juicy and soft.

Maryann

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 9:28 am
debsey wrote:
Here you go.
1/2 C Honey
1/2 C soy sauce

2) place marinade and meat into gallon size resealable plastic bag. Squeeze out air
4) Place on oven rack, on lowest level. Turn oven to broil. Place meat and marinade in a 13x9x12 inch baking dish
5) Broil meat for about 40 minutes, turning roast about every 10 minutes and then start checking for doneness by sticking fork into meat. If juices run red, it is too rare. If juices run red with some fat, it is medium rare. If juices run brown, it is well-done.
6) When at desired level of doneness, remove meat from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.

This is the recipe from the BY cookbook. In general, I find the marinate, then broil, technique is the best for Delmonico roast. The broiling seals in the juices, and it's beyond awesome.

What is dried ginger? Can I use ginger spice?

Andwbat is dried mustard

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 9:46 am
Maryann wrote:
What is dried ginger? Can I use ginger spice?

Andwbat is dried mustard

Both are ground spices from the spice jar.

Maryann

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 11:35 am
debsey wrote:
Here you go.
1/2 C Honey
1/2 C soy sauce

Making this now!
Do u not cook at all? After I broil its ready to eat.. Is that enough cooking time

debsey

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 12:15 pm
Maryann wrote:
Making this now!
Do u not cook at all? After I broil its ready to eat.. Is that enough cooking time

Yep.

It makes a really nice, medium rare delmonico roast. This time, I had one that was slightly larger, so I broiled for an extra 20 minutes (10 minutes, flipped over, 10 more minutes)

It was awesome - pink in center, brown on edges with a flavorful crust. It's my go-to roast for Y"T.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 1:44 pm
Do you serve this fresh? If you rewarm, how do you do so without ruining the medium cooking?
Also, I'm curious what your delmonico roast looks like. I know delmonico varies by butcher and ours is round wrapped in twine. I've been wondering if I need a better cut.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 2:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do you serve this fresh? If you rewarm, how do you do so without ruining the medium cooking?
Also, I'm curious what your delmonico roast looks like. I know delmonico varies by butcher and ours is round wrapped in twine. I've been wondering if I need a better cut.

I have seen both rib-eye roast and French roast called Delmonico.

debsey

Post Sun, Sep 30 2018, 2:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Mine is same cut - round and tied with twine.

I rewarm with plenty of gravy on low. The top few slices get brownish but the lower slices stay pink. Not as pink as they are when I slice them, but pink enough.

It's so soft and yummy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics