Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
New set of china
1  2  Next

picklelover

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 2:03 am
Looking to buy a modern nice but inexpensive set of china for shabbos. Thinking to spend a couple hundred for at least 8-10 place settings.
Any ideas where to look?
Preferably online.
Thanks!

kb

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 2:31 am
Bed bath and beyond has a few patterns by mikasa in that price range.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 2:43 am
Sign up for the emails from top companies like Noritake, and Mikasa. They'll alert you about sales. some could be really good. They try to promote different patterns.
We got our box set of noritake 8 settings+ serving dishes for about $300 at bb&b. Look for online coupons.

picklelover

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 11:16 am
Thank you!

sky

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 11:54 am
Where are you located. At about exit 8 on the Turnpike there is a Lenox warehouse that is only opened sometimes during the year (not the Lenox outlet at the same location that isn't that cheap). They have the popular Lenox patterns - regular and seconds. when they are open their prices are excellent. And their seconds are really cheap and don't look too bad if you are willing to sift. I have a nice number of pieces from there. (seconds plates for popular sets are about $10).
Its also good because you can break up sets sometimes so you only have to buy the pieces that you want.

Bed Bath & Beyond is also good because you can use their coupons on many brands.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 1:20 pm
This website has a lot of things of all kinds:

http://www.replacements.com/

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 1:27 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

Are their products new or used? There might be kashrut issues with buying used dishes.

sky

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 1:33 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

Wow! theirs seconds on Lenox is very cheap. My dinner plate is $7.98. Problem is you can't view the seconds. (Although my experience with Lenox is that the mistakes are very minor)

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 1:41 pm
I have very mixed feelings (and experiences) regarding china.

On one hand, it does make sense to choose something that will presumably be available in the future should you wish to add to your set or replace broken pieces.

On the other hand, I have Lenox (Ivory Solitaire), and I'm so fed up with the quality that I keep threatening to junk the whole thing and just order an inexpensive set from one of the frum housewares stores in Brooklyn.

My biggest problem is that the platinum decoration washes off over time. Handwashing seems to make no difference -- within 5-7 years, the platinum is gone. I've spoken with a number of china dealers and even with a rep from the Lenox company, and the unofficial answer is that Lenox essentially makes china to be used a few times a year -- not 2 meals every week and multiple Yom Tov meals.

I don't know if Mikasa is better, but I would definitely ask some long-time users before committing to it.

That said, if you want a popular brand/pattern, I'd suggest checking eBay and Etsy regularly. Ebay, in particular, has tons of listings for never-used place settings in popular patterns. I was told to kasher them anyway, which I do, but most arrive still in plastic sleeves. Over the years, I've built up place settings for about 25 this way -- albeit some now without platinum trim!

Anion7

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 1:44 pm
If you're near the Brooklyn area, definitely try The Buzz. I recently bought my 98 piece, 12 setting set for on sale for $179. I would've even paid the full price of $300 for it! They always have sales, worth looking into.

abby1776

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 1:48 pm
I have this 50 piece noriake set from Bed Bath and Beyond - http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....china

Its dishwasher safe- I put it in the dishwasher and I havent had any issues.

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 2:08 pm
ArganMagic wrote:
If you're near the Brooklyn area, definitely try The Buzz. I recently bought my 98 piece, 12 setting set for on sale for $179. I would've even paid the full price of $300 for it! They always have sales, worth looking into.

And even if you don't live nearby, they will ship to you! They often have sales before Pesach, so now is the perfect time to buy. Call and ask to be added to their mailing list or find out their special sale website URL (it's different from their main website).

sky

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 2:25 pm
I've always wondered if I made a mistake not getting the Jewish store sets. you can get many place settings for not too much, and they come with every single serving dish.

My lenox set is 10 years old. We use the same top 8 dishes every week, I wash by hand, and the platinum trim is like new. I am afraid of putting in the dishwasher because I heard it wears faster that way. The other plates I use less often.

I understand that buying fine bone china means the dishes are less likely to chip with regular use. They may shatter if dropped (as mine have). But when banged together they are less like to have the small chips that less expensive dishes may get.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 3:27 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Are their products new or used? There might be kashrut issues with buying used dishes.

You might ask them.

I use them to replace pieces I break; my impression is they custom-make each piece as needed for that purpose, with older patterns.

I think their things are all new.

I don't see any offers to buy your old stuff on the website.

Doesn't hurt to email or phone them and ask.

rachel6543

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 3:58 pm
I recommend Bed, Bath & Beyond. I have a beautiful dishwasher safe noritake set that I was able to use a 20% coupon on. Serving for 8 for $170 I think, that was 8 yrs ago, used wedding gift $ to buy. Also BB&B has a great return policy. Two dishes chipped 2-3 yrs ago and BBB replaced them for free for me!!!!

tiredmommy

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 3:59 pm
A while back I contacted replacements.com and I was told that they could not guarantee that the dishes were unused. And my pattern is stoneware so I can't kasher it anyway. I ended up buying Mikasa online, and splurged on service for 20. This way we have enough for Friday night and Shabbos lunch even with guests.
I am very happy with the quality but they are too big to fit in my dishwasher, so we wash by hand.

etky

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 4:09 pm
sky wrote:
I've always wondered if I made a mistake not getting the Jewish store sets. you can get many place settings for not too much, and they come with every single serving dish.

My lenox set is 10 years old. We use the same top 8 dishes every week, I wash by hand, and the platinum trim is like new. I am afraid of putting in the dishwasher because I heard it wears faster that way. The other plates I use less often.

I understand that buying fine bone china means the dishes are less likely to chip with regular use. They may shatter if dropped (as mine have). But when banged together they are less like to have the small chips that less expensive dishes may get.

My set is almost 25 years old and the gold has not faded one bit. You bet it goes in the dishwasher. Granted, I don't use it every single week, but often enough.
My mother in law's set which is well over 50 years old and has been through countless dishwasher cycles looks brand new.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 4:12 pm
tiredmommy wrote:
A while back I contacted replacements.com and I was told that they could not guarantee that the dishes were unused. And my pattern is stoneware so I can't kasher it anyway. I ended up buying Mikasa online, and splurged on service for 20. This way we have enough for Friday night and Shabbos lunch even with guests.
I am very happy with the quality but they are too big to fit in my dishwasher, so we wash by hand.

I have just emailed replacements.com to ask if their dishes were all new. I will let you know what they answer.

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 4:54 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
You might ask them.

I use them to replace pieces I break; my impression is they custom-make each piece as needed for that purpose, with older patterns.

I think their things are all new.

I don't see any offers to buy your old stuff on the website.

Doesn't hurt to email or phone them and ask.

Replacements doesn't "make" new pieces. They buy and sell pre-owned china. Some of it may never have been used, but it is all pre-owned.

BTW, our "everyday" dishes (also used on non-company Shabbats) are Noritake china that was passed down to us by DH's mother. Now, we use a lot of paper, and I splurged on some Corelle a couple of years ago, but still and all, that stuff has been used for at least 40 years, maybe longer. Some of the gold has worn off the more used dishes, but they're in surprisingly good shape.

centurion

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 5:28 pm
overstock.com has some decent sets but they are by no means modern looking. can't vouch for the quality of them either but I do like a couple of their sets:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-......html

http://www.overstock.com/Home-......html
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars