Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Challah in this years mm... Not so much.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:10 am
I'm seeing lits of people posting about putting challah in mm. Think about one small issue before you put all the work into it this year, if your planning on baking challah. Purim is the middle of the week this year. Seeing as most people bake the challah ahead of time and freeze it so its not a last minute rush, that means youll be giving out thawed challah. And the people will get it wednesday, too far from shabbos to keep out. So back into the freezer it goes, thereby making it, well, whatever word youd call something twice frozen. maybe this year, go for onion rolls? Just a suggestion. Something not for shabbos.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:14 am
People can use it purim day itself for the afternoon seuda.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:23 am
You can eat challah on weekdays too, yknow. It's yummy. And not everyone pre-bakes; my mother doesn't give challah to everyone but the ones she does she bakes early Purim morning.

pause

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:29 am
and I thought purim is on thursday, so ppl can use it thursday by the meals, friday night seuda, or shabbas day if it's properly packaged.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 1:11 am
pause wrote:
and I thought purim is on thursday, so ppl can use it thursday by the meals, friday night seuda, or shabbas day if it's properly packaged.

Yep.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 1:13 am
pause wrote:

Lol, I looked at my calendar now. Totally thursday.

And it's on Friday for those who do Shushan Purim...

mille

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:28 am
I've given bread as part of mishloach manot a few different years, different days of the week. I did challah last year, and it was on Sunday, so clearly not for Shabbat!

I also made it fresh the night before. I thought the point of challah was for the seudah? And just because bread is super delicious?

yogabird

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:47 am
Am I the only one who doesn't think twice-frozen challah is the end of the world?

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:50 am
I have received challah on purim that smelled sooo good that I sat down, washed and ate it. It really gave me strength to get through the busy day! And besides, it's a mitzvah to wash for a purim seudah so I think that's what people have in mind that it should be used for. Frozen a 2nd time for bread is no big deal if you chose to save for shabbos. It probably will taste great when heated. The problem is with refreezing chicken/meat for health (and probably taste) issues.

granolamom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 6:02 pm
we eat challah we get in MM during our purim seuda. or before, if someone's hungry. I wouldnt give it, too much work/planning, but I love to get homemade challah!

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 7:10 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
I have received challah on purim that smelled sooo good that I sat down, washed and ate it. It really gave me strength to get through the busy day! And besides, it's a mitzvah to wash for a purim seudah so I think that's what people have in mind that it should be used for. Frozen a 2nd time for bread is no big deal if you chose to save for shabbos. It probably will taste great when heated. The problem is with refreezing chicken/meat for health (and probably taste) issues.

Refreezing is fine healthwise if you first bring the food to the boiling point through and through for about 10 minutes--IOW recook it--to kill any spoilage microbes. Taste will suffer a bit but it won't turn into cardboard if it was good to begin with. It just won't be quite as intensely flavored, tender and juicy. If cooked in a sauce it might actually grow more tender.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics