Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
HELP!!! I DONT REMEMBER HOW MUCH YEAST I PUT IN MY DOUGH!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 10:59 am
My challah recipe calls for 3 ounces yeast, or four tablespoons. It's the first time I'm using a large package dry yeast, so for the LIFE of me I can't recall if I put in 3 tablespoons or 4. The dough rose nicely in the mixer, and now I'm letting it rise on the table, but I don't know if I should just dump the dough and bake another batch tomorrow. Has anyone ever had this experience? Did you ever put in less yeast than the recipe called for? What happened? Do you think the challah will come out clumpy, or should I take the risk and bake the whole thing and if the challah isn't good, bake a new batch next week? What do you think? (Mrs Heller the challah lady didnt answer the phone when I called....)

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 11:00 am
better leave a 4th out than to put in too much ... less will still rise ... too much will taste like yeast ...

hadasa

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 11:04 am
Bake it! It should taste goo, even if it rises a bit less.

justanothermother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 9:00 pm
How did it come out?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 9:10 pm
yeah, let us know!
if it didn't rise enough, just send it to me - I'm sure I wouldn't mind the taste ;P

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 9:10 pm
If it rose in the mixer, it rose! Once it starts rising nicely, during the first 1/2 hour or so, it will rise well all the way. The only time you're in trouble is if after a whole hour, or hour and a half, the rising is minimal or unnoticeable.

justanothermother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 9:21 pm
Even when it doesn't rise well you can put it in a super warm place to encourage it to rise and save your dough. This works for old yeast and for too little yeast as well. I turn my oven on low, open the door, and put the bowl on the door.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 1:03 am
Irony of ironies, the challahs came out HUGE!!!!!!! Thanks for all your advice Smile.

happyone

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 7:15 am
[quote="Mama Bear"]Irony of ironies, the challahs came out HUGE!!!!!!! Thanks for all your advice Smile.[/quote]

Did you put in five?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 1:14 pm
lol no, I put in four probably.

shoy18

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 2:26 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Irony of ironies, the challahs came out HUGE!!!!!!! Thanks for all your advice Smile.

So funny, this week I made challah and used a teaspoon less yeast and they came out bigger and fluffier than normal.

cheerios

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 8:24 pm
What I would do is, just let it rise a bit longer. I have a recipe with only 1 tsp. of yeast - for 5 lbs. of flour. Then I leave the dough overnight. Or when I put in a lot of dry yeast - 3-4 TBSP. I only let it rise about 1/2 hr. The amount of yeast you put in affects how much time it needs to rise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads