Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Alarm without waking others

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:45 pm
I live in a ranch style home.

My baby's room is about 8 feet from my room. She seems to be an early riser by nature (6:30 give or take a half hour) however my alarm goes off at 5:45. She hears it and then the talking begins.

If she was in the room herself or if the rest of the house couldnt hear her, I would let her babble away until she really calls to be taken out of her crib.

However, my 5 year old dd shares a room with her and is being woken too early.

In addition the reason I get up at 5:45 is to have 45 minutes alone in the morning to shower, dress, etc.

When I dont use my alarm (pretty much just shabbos) she sleeps until 7:00 so I know she can sleep later or at least relax in her crib quietly but its my alarm that is causing the issue.

I havent tried closing both doors because I have a mental issue about having doors closed, just the thought of it causes my heart to race (Obviously I was traumatized as a kid just dont know if its from trying to get to my parents at night from a bad dream to find the door locked - I now know why they had it locked - or its from being stuck in an elevator once - incidentally I have no issues going into elevators so it may not be this but this is another discussion for another day.)

My 5 dd would have a problem if I closed their door so that leaves me with their door opened and mine opened a crack still giving the baby the ability to wake from my alarm.

Maybe there is an app that would work, where I could control the volume of the alarm. I would be afraid of using vibrating items since my dh would probably be weirded out by that and because I live in california and I would get nervous each time that it's an earthquake and that is NOT how I want to start my day.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:53 pm
I use a small alarm and put it under my pillow. No vibrations, just a ringing, loud enough for me to hear it but not my daughter in the room right next to us.
She used to hear it and wake up at 5:30 and I started putting this alarm under my pillow. Now my husband doesnt even hear it either.

losingweight

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:04 pm
Get the sonic boom vibrating alarm clock. My husband and boys have it. Works excellent.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:11 pm
losingweight wrote:
Get the sonic boom vibrating alarm clock. My husband and boys have it. Works excellent.
she wrote that she does not want a vibrating alarm.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:41 pm
Well maybe given the circumstances she could adjust to the idea. If you know you set a vibrating alarm clock maybe you won't think it's an earthquake. Those things are pretty strong and buzzy, you'll be awake fast enough not to dream about earthquakes. We had an earthquake here once and it felt nothing like my sonic boom alarm clock. Maybe try it for a few days and see if you get used to it. They're not that expensive to just try, about $20. Why would DH be "weirded?"

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:44 pm
What am I missing here?

Why don't you just use your cellphone alarm clock feature and either set it on vibrate or on some low volume with a soothing, calm alarm signal?

I've lived in California for 5 years; a vibrating alarm feels nothing like an earthquake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics