Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Gluten Free Shavuous!

LittleDucky

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:34 pm
So I am hosting friends for Shavuous and need ideas for gluten free meals (besides challah, they bring their own). I have had them before for fleish meals but I was hoping it could be dairy.
Any ideas for main? Sides? I don't want to do fish but pasta is out. Eggplant parm with gluten free crumbs?
Would love it if it could be made easily (no 30 step recipes please!!) and will keep in the fridge for a few days- no oven will be on, just a hot plate.
TIA!!

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:42 pm
I make the following recipe from this site, from ra_mom. I just use gluten free flour mix, either Glutino or King Arthur's. I buy them both in Walmart and the Glutino also in some kosher supermarkets. Everybody loves it.

Baby Blintzes

-8 oz farmer cheese
-8 oz cottage cheese
-3 Tbsp sour cream (plus more for serving, optional)
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 cup Bisquick
(to make make ur own: 1/2 c flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, & 1/2 Tbsp oil or melted butter)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-3 Tbsp butter, melted
-3 large eggs
-24 blueberries
-12 raspberries
-cinnamon sugar

Mix all ingredients at medium speed.
Grease muffin tin. Fill each of the muffin compartments halfway with the mixture. Place 1 raspberry and 2 blueberries on top of each muffin tin.
Bake in oven preheated to 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and a small dollop of sour cream.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:45 pm
You can also buy gluten free pasta and make your usual recipe with it.

A lot of cheese cakes don't really need the crust. I make my old recipe and just leave out the crust and use gluten free flour mix where the recipe calls for flour.

I'm making scalloped potatoes, any kind of potato or rice dish should work. Roasted vegetables. Salads. I make my Pesach blintz recipe. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:47 pm
Just thought of this, I have a good recipe for lasgna pepper boats. You cut bell pepers in half, layer cheese and marinara sauce and bake. If it sounds interesting to you I can give you the exact recipe.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:48 pm
I don't like blitzes... Eek. Any other ideas? What are big culprits of gluten we may not realize? I know sauces and soy sauce often have it. They said it's not an allergy and minute amounts are ok but I want to avoid- don't want anyone to be sick because of me!!

LittleDucky

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:49 pm
Chex- non wheat type is gluten free. Can I coat eggplant (or anything else) in corn or rice chex? Ever try it?

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:51 pm
The baby blintzes are more cheese muffin than blintz, it's more similar to cheese latkes.

Why don't you just use gluten free pasta? You can make whatever you usually make, any pasta salad, lasagna, baked ziti, fettucine, etc.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:53 pm
almond toasted crumbed eggplant Parmesan stacks, Greek salad, Caesar salad, sushi salad, French onion soup or cream of something soup, blintzes, cheese stuffed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, why not a fish dish? And cheesecake of course, crustless or with an almond crust, ice cream, iced coffee.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:53 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
Chex- non wheat type is gluten free. Can I coat eggplant (or anything else) in corn or rice chex? Ever try it?

I've crushed chex and used it to coat chicken cutlets instead of corn flake crumbs. Never tried it with anything else. If you want gf corn flake crumbs, Gefen's are always gf.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 10:10 pm
Why don't you tell us what you would normally make, maybe we can help you figure out how to make the same thing gluten free. It's usually pretty easy.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 10:24 pm
You can buy soy free Tamari sauce and make teriyaki salmon. You Can make lasagna with zucchini or eggplant as the noodles. Crustless quiche works well. Salad should be easy with a homemade vinegrete ( can make Greek salad if want a dairy salad).

workaholicmama

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 10:28 pm
Ever since my dd was diagnosed with celiac, I always use crushed corn chex for my crumbs. It tastes just like corn flake crumbs. As for pasta, I use goldbaum's brown rice pasta, but note that ime they are only good freshly cooked.
As other poster have written, tell us what you usually make and fellow gluten free mothers can help you convert it to gf...

SorGold

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 11:52 pm
For milchigs..
crustless quiche
sushi salad
any fIsh
marinated portabella mushrooms
quinoa and veggies
wild rice
stuffed peppers with rice or quinoa
Rice pudding
any cream soup (carrot/cauliflower or brocolli)

I have a fleishig gluten free menu posted under the shavuos menu section

Raisin

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 6:28 am
rice pasta is really good. No reason why you can't make that with your usual pasta sauce.

Penne a la vodka is yum and easy, and you can serve with different types of pasta.

I would serve fish, just cause its yom tov. I often serve fish as a starter course with a salad, and then go onto hot pastas.

You could also do a crustless quiche or frittata.

my mother doesn't eat wheat and she has come to us a few times for shavuos. Never had a problem. She just takes the bottom off the cheesecake and skips the pasta. There is always plenty to eat. She doesn't mind having small amounts of wheat though, like if there is soy sauce in something.

gp2.0

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 7:14 am
Creamed spinach, mashed potatoes...you can add tomato sauce and cheese to slices of eggplant, no crumbs necessary...guacamole, sautéed zucchini and mushrooms...and there are so many different kinds of fish and different ways to prepare them that I don't think you should dismiss it.

egam

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 9:24 am
Risotto
Mini spinach frittatas.
Roasted veggies or potatoes.
Quinoa staffed mushrooms or zucchinis or peppers.
Eggplant Rollatini
I never use any breading in eggplant parmigiana. Don't like anything breaded. So you can skip it all together.
Blended zucchini or broccoli soup.

Vanilla

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 9:28 am
Tichellady- can you please tell me how you make your zucchini lasagne?

mummiedearest

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 11:03 am
falafel. I make mine out of lentils. a bit of a patchke, but yummy. easy side dishes too: israeli salad, pickles, etc.

tichellady

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 12:01 pm
Like how she does it- http://www.skinnytaste.com/200.....l?m=1

Salt them so doesn't get too watery
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics