Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Confused about preschool/kindergarten ages

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:18 pm
So I'm a bit confused about the ages for preschool and kindergarten in NYC.
I live in Queens and in September I'll be sending my 4 year old to a 4 year old program. After that, when he'll be 5.... will he be in kindergarten? and then comes first grade at age 6?

Also, I have a 2.5 year old and I'm not sure if I'll be sending him to preschool (3 year old program) in september. So if I keep him another year at home with me, can he then go straight to the 4 year old program? will they accept him if he wasn't in any preschools/nurseries before? or will they tell me to put him in a 3 year old program?

MMCH

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:28 pm
Hi I also live in Queens. I also have a 4 year old and a 2.5 year old.

my 4 year old is turning 5 in October, and she is currently in a UPK program (which is a 4 year old Kindergarden Program.)
She is going to a Pre-1A in September. (Many NYC schools use the name Pre-1A for the grade before First Grade) She will be turning 5 in October, and then turning 6 at the beginning of first grade. She is one of the younger kids in the class. But all born in 2010.

MY next one, who is 2.5 is going to a 3 year old program in September. I am pushing her ahead, as she technically is a drop young (she will be 3 in January) but my babysitter wasn't working out for next year, she dropped her nap, so I didn't see a point in finding a new sitter.

I dont know of that many people who keep home their 3 year olds, and then go to a 4 year old place. but I am sure its done.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:49 pm
MMCH wrote:
Hi I also live in Queens. I also have a 4 year old and a 2.5 year old.

my 4 year old is turning 5 in October, and she is currently in a UPK program (which is a 4 year old Kindergarden Program.)
She is going to a Pre-1A in September. (Many NYC schools use the name Pre-1A for the grade before First Grade) She will be turning 5 in October, and then turning 6 at the beginning of first grade. She is one of the younger kids in the class. But all born in 2010.

MY next one, who is 2.5 is going to a 3 year old program in September. I am pushing her ahead, as she technically is a drop young (she will be 3 in January) but my babysitter wasn't working out for next year, she dropped her nap, so I didn't see a point in finding a new sitter.

I dont know of that many people who keep home their 3 year olds, and then go to a 4 year old place. but I am sure its done.

Ok, so my 4 year old will turn 5 in March. So I'm guessing after that he'll have another year to go before 1st grade. In Septmeber he'll be enrolled in a kindergarten program (4 year old) but not upk.
Since you live in Queens, do you know anything about the YCQ nursery and kindergarten programs? I'm also a little confused as to when I could send my 4 year old and 2.5 year old to that school.

MMCH

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 10:42 pm
so since your 4 year old is turning 4 in march, you can be in a UPK program for him come this September..(there aren't that many in KGH)
YCQ has a Nursery Class (which I think is there 4 year old program) and then a Kindergarten, and then first grade. (I think.. not 100% sure)
I think you need to be 4, or turning 4 that year to be in a 4 year old class. So for YCQ, you would apply next year for your younger one... assuming she will be 3 going on 4...

But other schools, for example, Judi's Nursery, has a 3 year old class, and a 4 year old class, as does Gan Eden Pre- school, has both ages.

By Pre-1A, most kids are in their prospective elementary schools.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers