Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Are jeans OK for a costume for a bocher?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 4:58 am
sarahd wrote:
As a matter of fact, it used to be that wearing jeans was considered unacceptable for anyone except road workers and maybe farmers in the field.

It's true. But then I sure hope these people all wear a hat, don't enter in a café, and don't have their first name on their business card.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 5:16 am
They probably do all wear hats, probably don't sit around in cafés - and definitely not on the sidewalk - and as for business cards, I think you mean calling cards and they sure don't have those!

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 5:30 am
TzenaRena wrote:
greenfire wrote:
a costume ... really is offensive to those people who do wear jeans ... it is not purim ... btw
green, it's for a yeshiva bochur who wears a white shirt, hat and jacket, for him it's a costume.

no it's more casual garb for a different purpose ...

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 5:34 am
and btw ... my yeshiva bochur ... who wears black pants and a white shirt ... has jeans ... no he does not wear them to daven or to learn ... but certainly to run amok in the country ... travel, play, etc. - he is not any less of a person because of them ... and I take the word "costume" to great offense !!!

it beats wearing your getup to do those chores and ruin them with grass stains, and paint, and shmutz so you negate the whole ideology of the garb...

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 6:22 am
He is supposed to wear silly costumes as part of the job and he never wears anything but white shirts and black pants at other times. At camp, T shirts can be worn for sports but white shirts are worn the rest of the time. The night activities director wears his costume all day. Sometimes he is chosen to tutor boys who don't want to learn because they see him as the "fun" guy.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 6:26 am
so they are actually "costumes" ... the kids need to be taught that this is part of the "job" that he can learn too ... and should certainly respect his all around ability to learn ... I believe if he is worried they will be too ... if he is comfortable they will be too ...

gryp

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 7:18 am
Quote:
Sometimes he is chosen to tutor boys who don't want to learn because they see him as the "fun" guy.

Chinuch has gone down the drain.
Please correct me if I'm completely off, but if the camp is trying to motivate boys and can't do so except to send them to the guy dressed in jeans, now don't you think something is wrong with that? Has the world gone crazy?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:17 am
As soon as I saw the wording of the topic I thought "uh oh, here comes trouble!!" Tongue Out

But tell me, if you people (MO) were to put on a shpitzel for a day (for whatever reason), or your husbands a shreimel, would you NOT call it a costume????? And do you really think we chassidishe people would get offended if you do?
Come on, for a yeshive bachur thats 'dressing up' for the job, its called a costume!

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:23 am
my question still remains ... is he dressing up in "jeans & t-shirt" ... or is he dressing up in a "getup" of some sort ... cause that would be a difference ... trying to attract the boys to a FUN night activity ahead and wearing a cowboy hat ... or a clown wig ... is a costume ... wearing jeans to be casual - is NOT

healthymama

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:25 am
This is a great example of a thread that should be posted in the Lubavitch section. People from that derech would understand the OP's concerns and everyone else would not be offended.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:25 am
amother wrote:
As soon as I saw the wording of the topic I thought "uh oh, here comes trouble!!" Tongue Out

But tell me, if you people (MO) were to put on a shpitzel for a day (for whatever reason), or your husbands a shreimel, would you NOT call it a costume????? And do you really think we chassidishe people would get offended if you do?
Come on, for a yeshive bachur thats 'dressing up' for the job, its called a costume!

No, I wouldn't call it dressing up. I would call it wearing another sect's uniform. . . and I wouldn't wear it b/c it serves no purpose. If I wore a shpitzel, that would be rude b/c people would think I was just wearing it as a joke or to make fun.

gryp

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:27 am
greenfire wrote:
my question still remains ... is he dressing up in "jeans & t-shirt" ... or is he dressing up in a "getup" of some sort ... cause that would be a difference ... trying to attract the boys to a FUN night activity ahead and wearing a cowboy hat ... or a clown wig ... is a costume ... wearing jeans to be casual - is NOT

I agree with you, greenfire.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:31 am
amother wrote:

Shpitzel and shtreimel would be "dressed up as chassidim", what about jeans? dressed up as Mo? as non frum? as [gentile]? Or as everyone except some groups...

gryp

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:41 am
I don't see the controversy. Yeshiva bochurim, in any circle, don't wear jeans.
Or do they?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:51 am
Some certainly do when not in yeshiva.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:55 am
I apologize if I offended anyone. I truly thought that people would understand the question and want to give a response. The position of night activities director is not unique to Lubavitch. If this thread is offensive to anyone, then I ask the mods to remove the thread.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 1:42 pm
did you get an answer, sou bubby?

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 1:47 pm
GR wrote:
I don't see the controversy. Yeshiva bochurim, in any circle, don't wear jeans.
Or do they?

some do ... I have seen them myself ... especially in camps

justanothermother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 3:42 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
I think this is THE MOST ridiculous thread. Seriously, Jeans? We're debating jeans??? I wish you all such little problems....

Why was this reported? shock Someone is report happy here.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 4:26 pm
GR wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes he is chosen to tutor boys who don't want to learn because they see him as the "fun" guy.

Chinuch has gone down the drain.
Please correct me if I'm completely off, but if the camp is trying to motivate boys and can't do so except to send them to the guy dressed in jeans, now don't you think something is wrong with that? Has the world gone crazy?
yup, and I was told as much too, about girls that I inquired about tutoring. That parents want them to learn with someone "cool" they can relate to, to motivate them.

Here I thought the motivation would be that they would get a good mark on their final.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children