Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Are jeans OK for a costume for a bocher?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

red sea

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 7:56 pm
southernbubby wrote:
He is supposed to wear silly costumes as part of the job and he never wears anything but white shirts and black pants at other times. At camp, T shirts can be worn for sports but white shirts are worn the rest of the time. The night activities director wears his costume all day. Sometimes he is chosen to tutor boys who don't want to learn because they see him as the "fun" guy.

First off, I saw the title and didn't "get it", costume as in purim? I & lots other pple see jeans as clothing whether we wear or not. Well, now that youve explained it, I think its a bad idea. 1) those tutor children who dont want to learn may see the jeans as not a costume but a step "off the derech" that this camp promotes 2) I dont think it would be seen as a costume but rather as he's dressing like we say you dont, others might want to wear jeans too, they are Very Comfortable. Cant he do a mechanic or Indian or Pirate or a biker? Now s/t like that would say "Costume".

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:03 pm
justanothermother wrote:
Mimisinger wrote:
I think this is THE MOST ridiculous thread. Seriously, Jeans? We're debating jeans??? I wish you all such little problems....

Why was this reported? shock Someone is report happy here.

I think someone's mouse has a knee-jerk reaction ... Nervous ... let's just laugh at how funny it is ... and see what they report next Twisted Evil

gryp

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 9:14 pm
justanothermother wrote:
Mimisinger wrote:
I think this is THE MOST ridiculous thread. Seriously, Jeans? We're debating jeans??? I wish you all such little problems....

I didn't report that but I was pretty offended by that post. Until I realized that the reason I was being offended is because the poster is offended and she is offending as a result. So I decided not to be offended and I'm not anymore. Smile

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 9:18 pm
GR wrote:

I didn't report that but I was pretty offended by that post. Until I realized that the reason I was being offended is because the poster is offended and she is offending as a result. So I decided not to be offended and I'm not anymore. Smile

hm - I think I understand what you are saying ... Scratching Head

justanothermother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 9:37 pm
GR wrote:
justanothermother wrote:
Mimisinger wrote:

I really don't get it. What is offensive about that post? Can you explain please? I want to gain a better understanding, I feel clueless.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 10:59 pm
I wasn't the one who reported the post, but to answer what is offensive... A person starts a thread to ask a really valid question, expecting like-minded people to give their opinions, and then someone goes and says that is the most ridiculous thread she's ever seen... yeah, I can see why the OP might get offended.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 12:04 am
GAMZu wrote:
I wasn't the one who reported the post, but to answer what is offensive... A person starts a thread to ask a really valid question, expecting like-minded people to give their opinions, and then someone goes and says that is the most ridiculous thread she's ever seen... yeah, I can see why the OP might get offended.

and you don't see why people who wear jeans are offended?!?!?!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 8:42 am
I would like to explain myself and then find a new hobby (as opposed to posting here).
I did not start this thread to insult people who wore jeans.
I do not hold myself morally or spiritually superior to people who wear jeans.
I do not think that it is only an issue in Lubavitcher camps because the shatnes tester who tested my son's costumes is Litvish and said that night activity directors were costumes in their camps as well. However he was opposed to a bocher wearing jeans as part of a costume.
I honestly thought that jeans wearers knew that there were Jewish folks out there that rejected jeans but not the Jews that wore them.
I do not feel morally or spiritually superior to Jews who wear leather kipot.
I truly appreciate those who gave positive feedback whether it was to say that jeans could or could not be part of a costume.
I admit to being the one who reported that post. I did not report any other post. I apologize to the poster if I misread her intent. I appreciate that she blessed all of us that our troubles be trivial. I thought that she was attacking the group to which I belong and trivializing my concerns as a parent. I guess that she has a right to do that.
Is the teen section of this forum only for serious issues or could routine teen issues be discussed here as well? Anyway, I better clean the house and get on to my new hobby.

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 10:20 am
Quote:
I do not think that it is only an issue in Lubavitcher camps because the shatnes tester who tested my son's costumes is Litvish and said that night activity directors were costumes in their camps as well. However he was opposed to a bocher wearing jeans as part of a costume.

Quote:
I honestly thought that jeans wearers knew that there were Jewish folks out there that rejected jeans but not the Jews that wore them.

Quote:
I thought that she was attacking the group to which I belong and trivializing my concerns as a parent

I'm with you all the way on these points.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 11:29 am
Quote:
jeans in camp?
It drives me nuts when counselors wear T-shirts too! To me it's unacceptable.
tzenarena, I am asking this b/c I really do not understand. what about a tshirt in camp (where you are probably in the outdoors a LOOOT) is unacceptable?

TzenaRena wrote:
greenfire wrote:
a costume ... really is offensive to those people who do wear jeans ... it is not purim ... btw
green, it's for a yeshiva bochur who wears a white shirt, hat and jacket, for him it's a costume.
no tenarena it is not a costume, it is more like casual clothing, even if he never wears them.
I NEVER EVER wear a suit on shabbat or to a simcha (I dont even own one) but to what you are saying, if I put on a suit, I would be wearing a costume.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 11:40 am
This question belonged in the Lubavitch forum, because it was concerning how appropriate it would be for a Yeshiva bochur, a Lubavitcher one.

People are just reading too much into it; it's not relevant to other communities who dress differently, or whose bachurim aren't expected to dress within the Chassidishe/Yeshivish dress code.

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 5:11 pm
I think that Yeshivish goes the same way. With all due respect to MO,DL etc. this does not apply b/c they don't have this black and white uniform.
There is a whole controversy over this b/c you can say that you are still very frum eventhough you don't wear the "uniform". This is a classic case of where ppl should respect the other group's ways just like they would want to be respected. Very Happy

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 5:17 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
This question belonged in the Lubavitch forum, because it was concerning how appropriate it would be for a Yeshiva bochur, a Lubavitcher one.

People are just reading too much into it; it's not relevant to other communities who dress differently, or whose bachurim aren't expected to dress within the Chassidishe/Yeshivish dress code.

by the way ... you know how many lubavitchers I see wearing pin-striped shirts, jeans ... messy long hair ... PLEASE ... they are also the ones who I see wearing jeans ... so dont make this about "oh us helige lubavithcers wear only black and white ..." where do you think I grew up ...

aside from the fact that NO IT IS NOT A COSTUME and it is an insult for those who wear it sometimes to be casual like in camp ... or those who wear casual in everyday life !!!!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 7:25 pm
So, Green, answer the question - if, on Purim, you saw:

a chassidische lady (not Lub) with a Snuggly
a clean shaven guy with a langer rekle and streimel
a little chassidsiche boy dressed up as a fireman, policeman, or doctor

Would you take offense?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 9:32 pm
listen I don't need to argue with yous ... I know ... you know what I know ... v'zeh hu ...

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 10:04 pm
Actually last Purim I saw hate being sold with lange payos attached to them and I thought it was pretty disgusting.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 6:42 am
chocolate moose wrote:
So, Green, answer the question - if, on Purim, you saw:

But it's not Purim.

Unless he's wearing jeans to pretend to be someone else, then he's merely dressing casual, and not in costume.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:28 am
Kmelion, that's what Sou Bubby said. It's a costume.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 11:29 pm
we are no longer discussing original post ... that got cleared up since it really is for a costume effect ...

but off another tangent ... jeans are not a costume to those who wear them ... some may include them in a costume ... perhaps if you are from england one would call it a costume ... but frum people referring to other frum people who wear them knowingly calling jeans a costume - is simply rude ... and you know it - so let up already!!!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 4:44 pm
In Pavée community (Paris) they have a yeshiva and they accept black jeans. But they are litvish, not lub.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children