Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Best free and clear detergent?

mango

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:34 pm
Does anyone use a free and clear detergent that they can recommend?
I have been using the brand all but lately it's not been Cleaning the clothes well and the clothes are not getting a fresh clean smell...
I need it to be free and clear as my kids have sensitive skin but I do not have the money to spend on natural ones...

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:40 pm
I love All! Do you pretreat stains? Can it be a problem with the washing machine (buildup?) rather than the detergent?

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:40 pm
I actually use All and like it but I also used Purex. It also worked pretty well.

gibberish

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:41 pm
I use the All Free and Clear. It was highly recommended by our allergist and doctor. It cleans beautifully and is not as expensive as some other brands. I highly recommend it!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:46 pm
IME, All works well for stains but NOT smells. You may have to use vinegar for something that would be smelly. Tide free and clear was awful for us and did not get out stains. The natural ones will not necessarily clean better but if you are into natural All does still have many chemicals in it and is rated an F by the environmental working group. It is not "safer" just smell and dye free.

mango

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 12:50 pm
Hmm so maybe it is the machine... Does your clothes washed in all come out with a fresh clean smell? How do you clean out your machines. Will an empty run with bleach do the trick?
How do you pre treat your laundry? My biggest problem is my whites and light colored stuff I usually spray any dirty spots with spray and wash before I put it in the machine and I use oxypowder too in white washes but the stuff is still not coming out.

mazal555

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 1:34 pm
Do you have a front loader with a rubber seal? If you do, I don't think you can do bleach. You could probably do a wash cycle with a lot of vinegar.

Also, are you sure the rinse cycle is working properly? When I had a buildup problem with my clothes it was the rinse cycle. You could also add vinegar to the rinse.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 1:44 pm
I use Seventh Generation and have been pretty pleased so far. I used to use Melaleuca but stopped being a member, too expensive....

mango

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 1:55 pm
mazal555 wrote:
Do you have a front loader with a rubber seal? If you do, I don't think you can do bleach. You could probably do a wash cycle with a lot of vinegar.

Also, are you sure the rinse cycle is working properly? When I had a buildup problem with my clothes it was the rinse cycle. You could also add vinegar to the rinse.

Nope I have a top loader. How would I know if something is wrong with the rinse cycle?
I have added vinegar when I have left the clothes in the machine too long it works but not great.
More often lately the clothes are smelling like they have been left in the machine too long but they haven't...

anonymrs

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 2:20 pm
I use All and am very happy with it. You probably should get your machine checked out.

mazal555

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 3:02 pm
mango wrote:
Nope I have a top loader. How would I know if something is wrong with the rinse cycle?
I have added vinegar when I have left the clothes in the machine too long it works but not great.
More often lately the clothes are smelling like they have been left in the machine too long but they haven't...

You could watch the rinse or you could take some clothes that you washed already and put them in the tub with some water and agitate and see if you have any soap residue or anything coming off them. Also, are you sure that you are washing things hot enough and not overloading the machine?

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 4:15 pm
I actually found the free and clear leaves our clothes and towels hard even w vinegar or baking soda added. ( I have a new top loader w/o agitator but very hard water). So I bought some fabric softener but that kinda defeats the purpose of the free and clear...

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 4:33 pm
studying_torah wrote:
I actually found the free and clear leaves our clothes and towels hard even w vinegar or baking soda added. ( I have a new top loader w/o agitator but very hard water). So I bought some fabric softener but that kinda defeats the purpose of the free and clear...

You could get a free and clear fabric softener.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 5:32 pm
Really I had no idea Chayalle! I didn't see any in Costco... Will have to look elsewhere. What brands make free and clear softener?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:36 pm
I've used All Free and Clear softener but for some odd reason it's hard to find. Shoprite in Lakewood used to sell it but now they are closed, and Target doesn't have it either.

For now I've been using 7th Generation detergent and softener.

I have also used Melaleuca in the past - both detergent and softener - they are great but I had it with the monthly buying commitment, too pricey and a pain.

mango

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 10:46 pm
Thanks for all the advice! I guess I Will first clean out my machine and check out the rinse cycle is doing it's job. it could be some of the loads are a bit over stuffed will make sure I don't do that too.
The thing is we are running really low on detergent and my husband is going to Costco tomorrow, I have to decide what to tell him to get, the all again or try something else...

sourstix

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 11:07 pm
another vote for all free and clear. love it. does great job. if your clothes come out smelly, you might have to do a rinse of cycle just the machine and some bleach. do you leave wet clothes in the machine for hours on end like overnight? do you put more then one cupful of detergent? too much soap buildup can cause the holes to keep the extra soap and after some time it sitting there it smells. its clogged. dont know what you are doing. just telling you what a appliance repair man told me. do not overload the machine with too much clothes, and also dont do a load with too few clothes bec its also not good for the machine. just fill it 3/4 full. leave some space. how old is the machine, time to call a repair man and check out the issue.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 11:09 pm
for now I would fill the machine with hot water and some bleach and let it go a normal cycle. then remember not to leave wet clothes in machine overnight and leave the door open so it gets the wetness out. I think the all is good I would continue using it.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Jun 17 2015, 11:19 pm
I have Downy free and clear softener, bought in Target.

mazal555

Post Thu, Jun 18 2015, 11:47 am
I really love 7th generation detergent and fabric softener. You can buy it at Walmart online not so expensive. 7th generation dryer sheets are cheaper and have the same result as softener.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry