Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning Lady Frustration and Advice needed

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:02 pm
I have a cleaning lady who comes once a week because I just don't have the energy to clean at the end of the day. I work and have very active kids who need full on attention.

I've found the best cleaner I could possibly find, within a reasonable budget. She's wonderful and sweet and considerate of our privacy. However, every time she comes I still have to pick up after her - put things back in their place, I.e. bicycle off of children's play table, pick up dirty rags, put chairs back etc. Before she came today I made specific mention of this (and I do every time actually) and today - in addition - she accidently made a huge mess of something right before she left and it's just everywhere! On cabinets, things, etc. I know it was an accident, but I had to immediately wash the floor after she left os I wouldn't get ants. She did the best she could to clean up before she left but it's just everywhere! ANyway, this is aggrevating, since I am spending so much money to have my house cleaned because I don't have time. Today it threw off my kids entire afternoon schedule and the mood because it couldn't stay that way and then they didn't nap and then and then and then.....

I know I would be so much happier if I could just clean myself I just don't have the time. Any advice? Sad

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:07 pm
Why didn't you have her stay and clean up her mess? Have her put everything back before she leaves. Point out everything she leaves out and have her put it back. You must train the cleaning ladies. I go through this with every new one.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:13 pm
Pick one thing each time. be nice and specific.

Like when she sweeps the floor and doesn't put the chairs under the table - you can ask her - next time after you sweep can you please put the chairs back neatly under the table.

A general overview of issues (like: you never straighten up or finish a job) probably won't work and will be frustrating to both of you as she may not understand what you are looking for.

What happened today sounds like a different issue.

STMommy

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:13 pm
I agree. She leaves when the job is done. But next time, rather than spring it on her at the end when she thinks she is ready to walk out, tell her at the beginning of the next time you see her what condition you expect the house to be in when she leaves so she can pace herself accordingly.

bluebird

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:20 pm
She works for you, not the other way around. I think it's fair for her to stay to clean a mess she made. It's fair for you to set the standards you expect. And it's fair to find a new cleaner if she's not meeting those standards.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:31 pm
she doesn't sound like a good match.

Of course, it is possible you are hiring her for a specific amount of time and there just isn't time to do everything. So either extend her time, or accept she can't do everything and let her know what you want her to do first.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 12:32 pm
OP here

I actually told her about putting things away when she came and in the middle.
I feel it's very hard to keep firing cleaning lady's until I find "the perfect one". First, it's never going to happen, second, I live in a small country, and she's a sweet Jewish woman who is really working hard for her parnasa.

She was rushing out the door and how do I nicely say "you must stay until everything is put in it's place"?

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:17 pm
"I'm so sorry, but I paid you to clean this house, and you are leaving here when there is a big mess. Normally, I'd expect you to stay and clean it up. I realize you may be in a rush right now, but this is a problem, and when you come next time, we will have to have a chat about expectations."

Since you didn't say it then, you might do well to adapt it to say at the start of her next visit. It would be a good idea to have a written list of you expectations.

Either she is incompetent and/or lazy, in which case, you shouldn't hire her, or she needs training. Let's be dl"z and assume the latter. So, train her.

In the end, please remember that she is your employee, and what matters is her ability to do the job, not how sweet, Jewish, or needy she is.

Make her your chesed recipient and find a different cleaner if you must.

Your house ought to be cleaned to your satisfaction after her visits.

marina

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
OP here

I feel it's very hard to keep firing cleaning lady's until I find "the perfect one". First, it's never going to happen, second, I live in a small country, and she's a sweet Jewish woman who is really working hard for her parnasa.

She was rushing out the door and how do I nicely say "you must stay until everything is put in it's place"?

Mrs. Cohen, I'm so sorry, right now I need to go give Shmuley a bath. Before you go, can you just please make sure that there's no sugar on the floor, the chairs are put back, and the toys in the living room are cleaned up? Thanks so much!

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
OP here

You say in a very nice voice each task she needs to complete before she leaves. Whether there is a taxi waiting outside or not, I will point to reach rag or cleaning product left out and tell her she needs to put it away. I assume you pay her before she leaves so you have that moment to show her.

She has no reason to respect you right now if you do her work for her. Leaving you with a mess to clean up is outrageous in any circumstances.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry