Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My doctor wants me to supplement!
1  2  3  Next

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 8:49 pm
My baby is almost 3 months and weighs 9 pounds .Three weeks ago he weighed 7/50.The doctor is concerned about his weight and wants me to supplement with formula! I really don't want to unless its necessary! Is.his weight really bad for a baby that was born five pounds and is gaining weight?

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:06 pm
1/2 pound a week is a fine weight gain.... if he continues on that curve, I'd say leave it. (unless there are other medical issues)

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:09 pm
Honestly, I can't relate to those opposed to formula, whether it's to supplement breast milk or instead of, so my feedback may not be relevant, but I think that if your doctor is concerned about your baby's weight gain, you should be too. She didn't tell you to stop nursing, just to give her formula in addition to your milky she still gets all the benefits of breast milk! One formula bottle (4-6 oz id say, based on her age) will not hurt her and may even help her.

penguin

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:12 pm
I would talk to a lactation consultant or someone from LLL before listening to a doctor.

Exactly how much time do you think they spend on infant nutrition and support of lactation in medical school? Perhaps one of our medical people here can tell us, but I assure you it's a small amount.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:44 pm
Penguin I respectfully disagree.
Sometimes ppl are so reluctant to supplement that the baby is literally starving! Babies need these nutrienrs for their brains and bodies to grow.
There are too many incidents of LLL bashing formula that babies who didn't get enough milk literally starved.
And yes I know about it , not just from sensational media...

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:54 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Penguin I respectfully disagree.
Sometimes ppl are so reluctant to supplement that the baby is literally starving! Babies need these nutrienrs for their brains and bodies to grow.
There are too many incidents of LLL bashing formula that babies who didn't get enough milk literally starved.
And yes I know about it , not just from sensational media...

Again, I'm biased because I'm formula feeding my baby (by choice) but I think it's important to remember that breasfeeding is a means to an end, with the end being nutrition, growth and development. If the growth isn't happening as it should, then the baby may need supplementation. Most if not all pediatricians go with 'breast is best' but they are not supposed to be breasfeeding experts as LL are, rather they are baby experts. They are the experts in baby's growth and development.

das

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 9:56 pm
Get a second opinion. If he/she concurs there's no question what has to be done.Personally, I'd immed offer the baby a bottle after every feeding to see if he's still hungry.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:09 pm
The baby is gaining half a pound a week. That is at the top end of the recommended 1/2-1oz a day weight gain for infants. Why is the dr recommending to supplement???

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:19 pm
Maybe because of the low initial weight? He was born at five pounds. Your figures may be for more average initial birth weights and may not apply in this special case.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:22 pm
das wrote:
Get a second opinion. If he/she concurs there's no question what has to be done.Personally, I'd immed offer the baby a bottle after every feeding to see if he's still hungry.

This isn't a bad idea in this particular case because the breastfeeding would still be the first thing, and would keep going.

A hungry baby isn't going to say no to the breast when it is the first thing offered, and a still hungry one isn't going to forget the breast if he gets the bottle, and the breast will still get the stimulation it needs to keep filling up again. You would want to be sure the baby wasn't hungry at the end, just like you. You would like to get as much as you wanted to eat, too.

mandr

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:23 pm
das wrote:

Like that's the most scientifically proven accurate way to tell if a baby's hungry! My goodness, this is the worst way to "tell" if baby is hungry. If someone offered me a chocolate brownie after a filling Shabbos meal, would I refuse? I can tell you I'd eat every last crumb of that brownie even though I was stuffed. Not because I binge, but because there's always room for dessert. And that's how it is with babies and formula. It tastes good and sucking is fun so hey, bring on the bottle.

OP, have an LC come do a weighted feed to determine how much baby is consuming in one nursing feed, or several. This will you give you a decent picture of whether your baby is getting enough. Are there enough wet diapers? Is baby happy overall and showing no other ill signs? Then I'd say your baby was getting enough. A hungry, starving baby will not be a happy baby.

And to the mother who claims that offering a bottle after a feeding can't hurt. It actually can. If baby gets full on that, she will eat less by the next nursing feeding and this lowers mom's milk supply. Mother's milk has all the nutrition baby needs.

I do agree, however, that in some cases the mother may not be producing enough, or baby doesn't effectively transfer milk, and these are issues that an experienced IBCLC can help you with. Doctors have NO problem telling you to supplement whenever they feel like it. Hey they don't have to suffer from decreased milk supply or anything.

pause

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:24 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Maybe because of the low initial weight? He was born at five pounds. Your figures may be for more average initial birth weights and may not apply in this special case.

My doctor has always maintained that even if the baby is on the lower end of the growth chart, if the baby is growing at his/her own pace, then all is good. Concerning is when the baby ceases to grow or loses weight.

OP, I would visit a lactation consultant who can watch you breastfeed your baby, and weigh him/her before and after. I would also clarify with my doctor why the need for supplementation.

pause

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:26 pm
Mandr, I see we cross-posted. I love your brownie parable!

kb

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:35 pm
To add to the reasons NOT to supplement (in a case that it isn't necessary) is that a bottle is easier to get food from. Once a baby learns that nursing is followed by the a bottle as soon as he's done, he's not going to try so hard to nurse, because the backup is easier.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:37 pm
My baby was born 6 lbs 14.5 oz. she is currently 4.5 months and only 11 lbs. she's happy when I have enough milk. But I frequently don't 😕. She'd rather go hungry than take formula. She'd skip up to 3 feedings before she'd have 2 oz and no more. Gagging a few times in between.... I don't blame her, have you smelled/tasted that thing?? I tried cereal (as per pediatrician's orders) but nothing went into it. She didn't like the taste And wouldn't play w it in her mouth.... So for now, I'm trying to build my milk supply (not going very well as I can't pump) and she's slowly gaining....

I'm all for be but I would definitely supplement if baby would have actually swallowed that drink!
I say, If your child's pediatrician is concerned, supplement. The doc isn't telling you to give up bfing. A bottle or two a day can only do some good (unless your child is allergic to any of the ingredients)

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:37 pm
pause wrote:
Mandr, I see we cross-posted. I love your brownie parable!

Beside the point, but formula does NOT taste good! Breastmilk is sweet, formula tastes like cr*p!

Last edited by pesek zman on Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:41 pm
kb wrote:
To add to the reasons NOT to supplement (in a case that it isn't necessary) is that a bottle is easier to get food from. Once a baby learns that nursing is followed by the a bottle as soon as he's done, he's not going to try so hard to nurse, because the backup is easier.

Never heard of that in an older infant. As a newborn, yes. But once your milk is settled, it comes pretty quickly after a suckle or two. Also mothers milk is delicious and sweet and JUST the right temperature that they like it. Formula is yucky, the bottle makes you swallow air (it can hurt when actually swallowing it, not only gas pangs afterwards) and isn't always the right temperature.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:42 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Beside the point, but formula does NOT taste good! Breastmilk is sweet, formula tastes like cr*p!

Jinx

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:43 pm
Maybe that is more thinking than a baby does. A hungry baby is going to try, stay in the moment, and do what he's doing now, not anticipating later. Nursing is his usual routine.

And you do say ... " in a case that it isn't necessary.."

I am not sure five pounds birthweight - for a male, mind you; they are bigger - is "lower end of ok"; it sounds somewhat concerning, quite, quite, low.

We can't see the baby's activity, skin, movements, eye brightness, and general looks through the computer screen.

He HAS had three months already.

MANY babies have done fine with only three months nursing, even if he does wean. He has already had the immunities and the good chemistry of breast milk.

OP can certainly get a second opinion.

kb

Post Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:43 pm
BTDT... my first child self weaned himself in exchange for soy formula.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics